PDA

View Full Version : What Is Wrong Here?...

Beau Cassidy
04-04-2013, 09:54 PM
I will give you 3 guesses and 2 don't count.

http://i437.photobucket.com/albums/qq95/OrthoNP/2013-04-04_18-02-31_670_zps7051cc05.jpg

http://i437.photobucket.com/albums/qq95/OrthoNP/2013-04-04_18-02-20_914_zps61275db3.jpg

I took these pictures this afternoon at the local Academy Sports. Most pistols were cased with the hammers back. Amazing..... I even wonder if the person behind the counter knew what ammo to hand out.

1911sw45
04-04-2013, 11:02 PM
Their 1911's Cocked and locked is the right way to store them.

M-Tecs
04-04-2013, 11:04 PM
Without removing the trigger lock how do you decock them?

longshot1154
04-04-2013, 11:15 PM
Yup, racking the slide to ensure they are unloaded when they hand them to customers. No way to let the hammer down with the trigger locks.

TheGrimReaper
04-05-2013, 11:07 AM
Yup, racking the slide to ensure they are unloaded when they hand them to customers. No way to let the hammer down with the trigger locks.

Hit the nail right on the head!

JonB_in_Glencoe
04-05-2013, 11:12 AM
I was going to jokingly post "cocked and locked baby"

But longshot nailed the real answer !

Chicken Thief
04-05-2013, 02:06 PM
So none of you are able to pull the trigger and let the hammer down with their opposite index and/or thumb?

OutHuntn84
04-05-2013, 02:09 PM
Not with a trigger lock on ;)

snuffy
04-05-2013, 03:45 PM
So just is the reasoning of having trigger locks on guns in a display? Keeping track of all those keys so a customer could check out the action, trigger pull and aim ability, would be a nightmare.

I would not shop for a gun at a dealer that wouldn't let me check out a trigger pull. Silly to have safety like that in a gunshop. As for the cocked and locked, that's standard for a 1911.

It's also silly for a home defense gun to have a trigger lock on it. If somebody is breaking in, that's a bad time to be fumbling for the key. Panic is real, you might as well not have the gun loaded at all. I understand having small kids around, there's no good answer for that situation.

Chicken Thief
04-05-2013, 04:23 PM
Not with a trigger lock on ;)

My bad, didnt notice that :oops:

MtGun44
04-05-2013, 04:44 PM
Depending on where the is, there are amazingly stupid gun laws in many places.

Might require a gun lock on all guns in display.

Idiots in Mass State Legislature put a gun lock on a musket on display there for something
like 150 years a few years back. Fools and morons in politics making up rules.

Bill

jcwit
04-05-2013, 05:28 PM
So just is the reasoning of having trigger locks on guns in a display? Keeping track of all those keys so a customer could check out the action, trigger pull and aim ability, would be a nightmare.

I would not shop for a gun at a dealer that wouldn't let me check out a trigger pull. Silly to have safety like that in a gunshop. As for the cocked and locked, that's standard for a 1911.

It's also silly for a home defense gun to have a trigger lock on it. If somebody is breaking in, that's a bad time to be fumbling for the key. Panic is real, you might as well not have the gun loaded at all. I understand having small kids around, there's no good answer for that situation.

Those particular locks all use the same key. It is nothing more than two tabs/points that go into the two holes shown on the lock in the picture
and screws off, giving you two separate pieces. I have more than a few of them from the same manufacturer. They come in Black and Red and cost in the neighborhood of $ .99 to $1.50.

enfield
04-05-2013, 05:29 PM
here in Canada you have to store a handgun with a trigger lock and in a locked case or locked in a safe. is handing someone a cocked gun the normal procedure ?

jcwit
04-05-2013, 05:34 PM
here in Canada you have to store a handgun with a trigger lock and in a locked case or locked in a safe. is handing someone a cocked gun the normal procedure ?

With the slide locked back, Yes.

Bored1
04-05-2013, 05:36 PM
In the large gun stores alot of the time you can't help but offer a customer a cocked gun. Normal procedure is to drop the mag make sure its empty, then rack the slide to inspect the chamber to make sure its empty. Once you release the slide you have a cocked/ unloaded firearm to hand to the person who wants to see it. Trigger locks generally stay on the gun while you look at it, once you purchase it it is remove and kept with the employee until you are walked to the exit door.

Trigger locks are just used to keep teh gun from being loaded/fired while actually at the counter or in the store before purchase.

M-Tecs
04-05-2013, 05:48 PM
I understand having small kids around, there's no good answer for that situation.

Quality Biometric safe work really well for that situation.

http://www.gunvault.com/gun-safes.html

KYCaster
04-05-2013, 06:27 PM
It's difficult to have an ND with a 1911 that has a trigger lock installed.

If you want to try the trigger, ask them to remove the trigger lock. If they refuse, that's OK...it's their gun till you pay for it. If you can't accept that, they may have lost a sale...their choice.

Kids in the home? It's far easier to gun-proof your kids than it is to kid-proof the guns. If a kid can learn to climb to a place that was previously inaccessible then s/he's old enough and smart enough to learn gun safety. Our nanny state keeps making it harder to teach kids properly.

Jerry

375RUGER
04-05-2013, 07:28 PM
you're all wrong. They are gouging us with those prices.

Down South
04-05-2013, 08:23 PM
you're all wrong. They are gouging us with those prices.
LOL, That was my thoughts when I looked at the pictures.

longshot1154
04-05-2013, 09:01 PM
Was just at Dicks Sporting Goods and was looking at the rifles, as I have suddenly gotten it into my head that I need a 45/70. Looked at the Rossi Rio Grande and not only did it have a trigger lock on it, but the lever was also zip tied so I couldn't even check the chamber to ensure it was unloaded. A little overkill in my book.

LC Press
04-05-2013, 09:11 PM
Was just at Dicks Sporting Goods and was looking at the rifles, as I have suddenly gotten it into my head that I need a 45/70. Looked at the Rossi Rio Grande and not only did it have a trigger lock on it, but the lever was also zip tied so I couldn't even check the chamber to ensure it was unloaded. A little overkill in my book.

Dicks = the devil ;)

I would encourage you to support someone other than Dicks. They do not have our back in 2a fights. Let them keep specializing in yoga pants...

longshot1154
04-05-2013, 09:36 PM
Dicks = the devil ;)

I would encourage you to support someone other than Dicks. They do not have our back in 2a fights. Let them keep specializing in yoga pants...

The only reason I was at Dick's tonight was it was near the Game Stop that my son wanted to stop at. It's his birthday today and the money he got was burning a hole in his pocket. I stopped as I was looking to see if they had some of those large ice fishing sleds left after the season as I want to build some home made layout blinds with them. They didn't so I checked the gun rack. Wouldn't buy from them but I was able to handle the Rossi a bit, wasn't too impressed so the search continues.

Spoke with my sister in Kentucky and asked her husband to keep an eye out for one down there.

km101
04-05-2013, 10:18 PM
Most of the sporting goods retailers use trigger locks. Academy has had that policy for about 10 years. I worked part time in one of the stores, and I had a customer attempt to load a 9mm semi-auto pistol. He claimed that he wanted to "check the feed ramp". Another customer took shotgun shells out of his pocket and attempted to load a Remington ll00 shotgun. In both cases the gun had to be taken away from the person by force. I had no problems with the trigger locks after that. And you would not believe how many guns I have had pointed at me by careless or stupid people. The trigger locks are there to protect the customers as much as the employees from the DA's who don't know how to handle guns. If you had seen as many stupid stunts as the average gun counter employee, you would not consider anything overkill. You guys are operating from a standpoint of knowledge of guns and gun handling. Many, many of the retail customers who come into a place like Academy or Dicks or even Bass Pro have no clue about gun safety or how to handle firearms. There is no such thing as being too careful with the general public!

snuffy
04-06-2013, 01:29 PM
Most of the sporting goods retailers use trigger locks. Academy has had that policy for about 10 years. I worked part time in one of the stores, and I had a customer attempt to load a 9mm semi-auto pistol. He claimed that he wanted to "check the feed ramp". Another customer took shotgun shells out of his pocket and attempted to load a Remington ll00 shotgun. In both cases the gun had to be taken away from the person by force. I had no problems with the trigger locks after that. And you would not believe how many guns I have had pointed at me by careless or stupid people. The trigger locks are there to protect the customers as much as the employees from the DA's who don't know how to handle guns. If you had seen as many stupid stunts as the average gun counter employee, you would not consider anything overkill. You guys are operating from a standpoint of knowledge of guns and gun handling. Many, many of the retail customers who come into a place like Academy or Dicks or even Bass Pro have no clue about gun safety or how to handle firearms. There is no such thing as being too careful with the general public!

I did NOT consider that viewpoint! DA? I think I can fill in the spaces in that one!

The gunshop I worked at for 6 years did not use trigger locks. The guns were stored inside a locked glass case. If a customer asked to see a pistol, we showed it clear, then released the hammer, if it had one, handed them the gun. I never had anyone attempt to load anything. I would never know if possibly they had ammo in their pocket though.

A lot of them wanted to test fire those new guns. 1st we had no public range. 2nd, that would make that new gun into a used gun! They just couldn't understand that! Yeah, I know every factory puts every one of their guns through a test fire sequence. A lot of people don't know that, saying "Hey I see powder flakes inside this new gun barrel"!!!!!!!!!

I suppose you have to think down to the lowest common denominator, or the dumbest jacka$$ that could exist, then prepare for them!

LUBEDUDE
04-06-2013, 02:29 PM
Both Academy and Gander Mountain in my area offer to remove to the trigger locks when I am handling their guns. If I am not serious about buying at that moment I delcline.

Down South
04-06-2013, 06:12 PM
A little off topic. I went to the local Bass Pro just a while ago to cash in a $100 gift card someone gave me. I needed fishing tackle so after collecting a few odds and ends and one of those new fangled self inflating life vest, I wandered upstairs where all the guns and ammo are stashed. Of course I spent more than $100 on tackle.
Upstairs looked the same as last time I had wandered up there several weeks ago. All common ammo not available, no reloading supplies to speak of and women looking for hand guns. Seems like every time I go there since the big scare went down, more women are looking for hand guns.
They did have a better selection of hand guns since I was there last.

Back to topic, they did have trigger locks on all of the guns and the few 1911's they had were cocked.

snuffy
04-06-2013, 07:13 PM
I woke up this morning to no coffee! Mr. coffee let me down after-----could be five years or more of faithful service.

Fido was out-of-dog-food-too, so off to Fleet Farm I went. 33 # of kibble, $75.00 for a new Mr. coffee, and 2# pistachios for me!:smile:

I wandered over to the guns area, to kind of loiter, AND to see if they had trigger locks on their handguns.? Yup! Looked like the key type too. A very irate customer was trying to understand what the clerk was trying to tell him why there was no .223 for him to buy. Something to the effect that we were still fighting a was, and how fast a SAW goes through 200 rounds! Others looking for handgun ammo as well, all with long faces.

My only hope was they were damocRATs, how's that hope and change working for you?