PDA

View Full Version : Shoulda said nothing about wart surgery

Idaho Mule
04-04-2013, 08:31 PM
Here I rest after trip to the doc. Was cutting down some bug infested Ponderosa and burning it up to kill the bugs and keep the infestation down. Weeellllll , my silly right knee somehow got in front of the chainsaw and I ended up nicking myself pretty good. Kid had to drive me in to town and get me stitched up. It was only about a 3 incher and I didn't bleed too bad so all is well. This and a few mule tracks that are left on my body for permanent is why I don't bother with tattoos. Just figure I don't need many more marks, heck, I was born with a pretty classic birthmark. Another day in my life. JW

TheCelt
04-04-2013, 08:33 PM
Hope ya Heal quick!!!

rush1886
04-04-2013, 09:16 PM
Got a very similar mark on my left knee-from a 9" angle grinder. 40yrs in construction:hammers, saws, knives, screwdrivers, screwguns, all have left sundry marks, and required the requiste number of stitches. Amen to the tattoo thing.

Heal quickly! Glad to hear all is well--chainsaws can be wicked!!

Olevern
04-04-2013, 09:19 PM
Could'a been much worse! Heal quickly.

dbosman
04-04-2013, 09:30 PM
I wear chaps when chainsawing. I hate them, but they've collected a number of cuts to remind me that I sometimes don't pay enough attention to where the blade actually was.

I wish you a fast and easy healing.

Bad Water Bill
04-04-2013, 09:37 PM
Now if you had a BLACK mule that would not have happened.

She would have just KICKED it down for you.

I have been using chain saws for about 50 years and am still scared of them.

Glad to hear it was no worse and NO ya don't need nun o them stinkin tatos.:bigsmyl2:

472x1B/A
04-04-2013, 09:40 PM
Dang, I bet that woke you up right quick. Hope you heal as good as new. Three inches is a pretty long rip especially in the knee area. I as well have a life long scare from an angle grinder. Caught me on the front left shoulder area. Really messed up a $1000.00 tatto and a t-shirt, long sleeve shirt, and a Carhart coat. Guess that's life in the fast lane.

Idaho Mule
04-04-2013, 11:09 PM
Bad Water, I DO have a black mule, his name is Bernie, but I sure can't blame this on him. Thinking back, Bernie is now over 30 years and I can't remember him ever kicking me. I have seen him kick some dogs though, even MY dogs!! JW

Idaho Mule
04-04-2013, 11:24 PM
Dang, I bet that woke you up right quick. Hope you heal as good as new. Three inches is a pretty long rip especially in the knee area. I as well have a life long scare from an angle grinder. Caught me on the front left shoulder area. Really messed up a $1000.00 tatto and a t-shirt, long sleeve shirt, and a Carhart coat. Guess that's life in the fast lane.
Reminds me of another time a friend and I were cleaning up an old horse pulled road grader to repaint. We had a big 9" grinder (mine) with a big "cup" wire brush on it. Got tired of holding the trigger down as it got heavy on your thumb, so we decided to just duct tape it, and we did. Bad plan. My friend was running it when he lost his grip and the grinder and cup got loose. Well that chicken liver was close to the door so he went out and I was stuck inside with a full throttle grinder flipping around inside the shop, they go quick, and they go fast, and I was very concerned. I did get to the plug-in quick enough to keep the thing from killin' me but it was way to close for comfort. It was really a lot more exciting of a picture than I can paint here but trust me, it had my full attention. JW

Sweetpea
04-04-2013, 11:38 PM
A while back, I was out cutting wood with my son, and the tip of the bar kicked back on a branch and sent the bar into my leg.

Through the denim, through the first layer of my pocket, and stopped on the second layer of pocket.

I was wearing heavy duty jeans with very deep pockets.

Any other jeans, and I would probably have bled to death, as we were about an hour out of town, and my son was nine, and could not have driven me to town pulling a trailer.

$90 for some chaps sure seemed cheap after that!

Blacksmith
04-05-2013, 12:10 AM
I've got a long list of scars. In this vein I hit myself in the knee cap with a hatchet but 60 years later it is not as noticeable now. My thumbnail is almost grown out where it hit the miter saw awhile back.

Then there is the scar where George Washington's dog bit me (true story) but we will save that one for another day.

sparkz
04-05-2013, 02:59 AM
Yeha they do Bite,, I ran one over my left foot and about took off 3 toes,, cost me a fist full of stiches that got tore out on day 5 rideing a motorbike,, haha its amazeing I lived thu my yonger years and I stil have a hitch in my step 40years later,,
and I also have a few horse :tatoos" hahaha

ya know I woulda took better care of me if I thought I would have lived this long,, lol

Hope ya feel better
Patrick

Wal'
04-05-2013, 05:03 AM
Well, if were going to tell on ourselves, the one I still chuckle about is putting a hatchet into my thigh while chopping the kindling wood to set the fire..............walked to the first aid centre & was told I needed a few stitches, being the tough young mountain man, or so I thought, told them to just go ahead.

Watched the nurse start with the first stich..................next thing I remember was the nurses picking me up from the floor.............I FAINTED!!!!

Mumblypeg
04-05-2013, 06:01 AM
I use a chainsaw most days. I have a pair of chaps that I wear . Trust me, they are well worth the money and really save your pants from everything from oil to blood. They work great against barbed wire too ! No need for the full wrap ones, they are hotter and not as comfortable to wear.

P.K.
04-05-2013, 06:10 AM
Here I rest after trip to the doc. Was cutting down some bug infested Ponderosa and burning it up to kill the bugs and keep the infestation down. Weeellllll , my silly right knee somehow got in front of the chainsaw and I ended up nicking myself pretty good. Kid had to drive me in to town and get me stitched up. It was only about a 3 incher and I didn't bleed too bad so all is well. This and a few mule tracks that are left on my body for permanent is why I don't bother with tattoos. Just figure I don't need many more marks, heck, I was born with a pretty classic birthmark. Another day in my life. JW

I did the same thing when I was 17 y/o. I was suspended from school for a week after showing a bully the error of his ways and bucking up some cord wood. The saw kicked back and caught me on the left knee cap. Split like a ripe tomatoe. My poor mom passed out cold walking into the kitchen seeing me picking bar oil and wood shavings out of it with a Buck knife. Ended up with 27 stiches, got lucky too, good lookin' med student needed some needle time and I ended up with no scar.

Hope you mend up quick!

TheGrimReaper
04-05-2013, 11:05 AM
Could'a been much worse! Heal quickly.SO,SO true!!! Best of luck to ya.

MtGun44
04-05-2013, 04:56 PM
Good luck, hope it heals quickly.

Hoosier logger, member here who is actually a logger, gave me an old pair of chaps and
I wear them whenever I am chainsawing. My Dad once slipped and sliced the saw thru
his boot. We looked at each other because it had obviously sliced thru a heavy boot,
I said "Did it get you?" - He said "I can't tell." and peeled off boot -- sock was cut, too,
but not red - yet. Pulled off sock and not a mark on skin. To cut boot and sock but
not skin is cutting it pretty close.

Ya'll be careful out there. I use steel toes when I chainsaw, too.

Bill

fatelk
04-06-2013, 03:12 AM
My dad nearly cut his leg off with a saw a long time ago, shortly after my uncle dropped a tree on the power lines, but that's another story...

Hope it heals fast, definitely no fun. My wife tells the story of her dad getting caught up in and pulled through his portable sawmill many years ago. It was one of the old ones with chains and a big blade about 6' dia. She said he stumbled into the house wearing only underpants and one boot. Everything else got tore off as he was pulled through the mill. He was beat up pretty bad, but not cut. Tough-as-nails old logger, he is.

It's funny how we accumulate our own "tattoos" as we go through life, be they scars or whatever. I'm about the least likely guy to ever have a tattoo (you would think), but the guys at work were talking about tattoos, so I mentioned that I have a couple. They wouldn't believe me until I explained. They had to tattoo little aiming dots on me so they could line up the radiation machine right each time. I'm sure some of you guys know exactly what I'm talking about.

Rangefinder
04-06-2013, 04:51 AM
Wisdom comes from momentary lapses of judgement... LOL

Hope the healing is good and the scar is worth laughing about later. ;)

10-x
04-06-2013, 06:50 AM
Heal soon and take it easy. Last spring the latch on my roll up shop door broke when I was raising it, cut a 2" gash from the palm up my right index finger, applied direct pressure, wrapped in a shop rag(kinda clean) and drove myself to the ER as DW was not home. Several stitches , the limited use was the worse part.

Idaho Mule
04-06-2013, 04:53 PM
Thanks for the well wishes guys, and similar stories. I will live thru it for sure but will own me a set of those chaps before firing a saw up again. Just finished up my Hunter Ed. class for this spring. This morning was our field day and graduation thing. I spent too much time on my feet for that, leg is a little tender right now so am gonna take it easy for the rest of the day. RMEF banquet is this evening but I can sit down for the bulk of that. Tomorrow is oldest son's "Fun Day", awards and shooting for his 10 week trap shoot. He is wanting me to shoot against him in some of the fun events. I hope I can stand to shoot against him. Maybe I need a couple more things to do. JW

Bad Water Bill
04-06-2013, 05:35 PM
You were a lucky one.

As far as tomorrow goes we ALL know you have plenty of MULE power Do NOT stand there for anything,do it from the back of the MULE.

Much easier on the leg.:kidding:

dagger dog
04-06-2013, 11:11 PM
Close call ! Gives me the willys just thinking about it. Get well, stay safe.

I have and wear chaps, gloves, got the steel tongues that lace onto my boots. I darn near cut through my instep on my right foot but just got the laces, boot and sock, didn't break the skin. I shouldn't work alone, but sometimes I have to, even rototillers can be dangerous got to really be careful with any power tool, equipment.