PDA

View Full Version : O-ring trick

dnepr
04-04-2013, 07:27 PM
I just tried a couple of rounds out of my 1899 in 303 savage with an o-ring in front of the rim . Without the o-ring the primer backs out and the case stretch at the web is easily seen and felt with a finger . With the o- ring the case stretch is still there but not as bad and the primer stays put. I am wondering how this method compare to seating the boolit touching the lands for case life,
I am shooting Hornady factory fodder right now , if there isn't a big difference I will continue with the o-rings till I reload for it , but if there is a big difference between the 2 methods I may consider pulling the bullets on the factory stuff

Cmasailor
04-04-2013, 07:43 PM
Sounds like a Headspace issue. I would have it checked out, asap. and I wouldn't continue firing it untill it's sorted out. MHO

Jack Stanley
04-04-2013, 10:04 PM
Sounds like the same trick I use making cases work for my old British army rifles . When I adjust my dies I make sure I don't push the shoulder of the case back during sizing . For me it seems to help accuracy .

Jack

dnepr
04-04-2013, 10:34 PM
Sounds like the same trick I use making cases work for my old British army rifles . When I adjust my dies I make sure I don't push the shoulder of the case back during sizing . For me it seems to help accuracy .

Jack

Yes that is where the idea comes from , I don't know if I have ever seen an Enfield with good headspace, I plan to neck size my brass from here on in with this rifle, accuracy should improve so should case life , lots of enfields out there that you wouldn't be able to reload the once fired brass , I will do this with my Enfield to if it ever sees factory ammo or fresh brass,

Jack Stanley
04-05-2013, 03:51 PM
I don't see why the idea would not work in the old Savage .

Jack

zuke
04-05-2013, 09:25 PM
Try out a set of LEE collet dies, they should work