PDA

View Full Version : End of primer cup breaking off during resizing.

Muddydogs
04-04-2013, 05:53 PM
I have never had this happen in all my reloading but I had about 20 nickle Speer 38 special cases that when resizing the end of the primer came off leaving the side walls of the primer still in the primer pocket. This kinda makes for slow reloading on the progressive when a case won't prime. I have cut a few out with a primer pocket uniformer but its slow work. My guess is Speer got carried away with the primer sealant or someone at the factory thought they would have a little fun with super glue.

ffries61
04-04-2013, 07:55 PM
I've had about 5 or 6 45ACP out of 500 hundred do the same thing.:???:

imashooter2
04-04-2013, 08:25 PM
Wet tumbled and not properly dried? I picked up some brass at a gun show once that were proudly advertised as cleaned with Iosso. About 75% had the primers break as above.

Baryngyl
04-04-2013, 09:55 PM
The only ones I have had do that were about 10 Mil. 30-06 and they were all the same head stamp but I do not remember what it was.

Michael Grace

DLCTEX
04-04-2013, 10:02 PM
I had some military 38 special cases with crimped primers that did that. They are still in a separate bag awaiting a day when I'm desperate enough to get the rest of the primer out.

Mk42gunner
04-04-2013, 11:13 PM
Anytime you get a little bit of corrosion between the primer and primer pocket, this can happen. I have several thousand M-14 fired 7.62mm that it is quite common to pop the end off the primer, (it has been stored outside in a wooden box). My current solution is to have about three different 100 round batches of brass that I use.

I remember reading about this years ago; the recommended way to fix it was to put dry cases in a black garbage bag with some vegetable oil, turn the bag once in a while, and let it sit for a few weeks (or months). The theory was that eventually the vegatable oil would creep in and weaken the corrosion enough that the primers have a good chance of coming out.

I wish I could remember where on the net I read this; but I am going to try it this summer.

Robert

44man
04-05-2013, 07:25 AM
I never had that happen but there should be some way to make a little puller to grab the walls.

Wayne Smith
04-05-2013, 09:18 AM
Use Kroil instead of veg. oil. It's quicker.

dakotashooter2
04-05-2013, 09:58 AM
Any idea how old the brass might be? I had some cases where that was happening and the decaping pine was chipping off the priming hole. The were corroded so I figured maybe they were old enough that some type of corrosive primers had been used.........

mdi
04-05-2013, 01:04 PM
Happens once in a while. I've had it happen with older brass, but just use an awl to collapse the remaining cup sides and it'll usually fall out.

fredj338
04-05-2013, 03:19 PM
In 35yrs of reloading 25 diff calibers, maybe 250K rounds total, I have never seen this happen. Weird.

Love Life
04-05-2013, 03:38 PM
I have seen it happen quite a bit bit with Mil 308 brass. Maybe 1 or 2 out of a 1,000. HS doesn't make a difference.

David2011
04-05-2013, 03:39 PM
+1 for Kroil. It rocks! How about twisting a small tap or E-Z Out in and trying to extract the remains with Vise Grips? The tap or screw extractor should be hard enough that Vise Grips won't hurt it.

David

Love Life
04-05-2013, 03:49 PM
I just throw them in the scrap bucket. Scraping out that small ring of the primer isn't worth the time. $1.92 a lb as scrap is worth the toss in the bucket.

Bwana
04-05-2013, 04:01 PM
I had a small batch, less than fifty, 38 Spls that I picked up from the range one day that were all fired from the same gun, firing pin indentations were the same. They did that. I don't know what in their history caused it but they went in the scrap bucket. Only ones I've ever run into.

41 mag fan
04-05-2013, 07:27 PM
Had that happen a bunch on a batch of 223's i was depriming. I used my Dillon Super Swage and got them out.

jonp
04-05-2013, 07:51 PM
Can't say I've ever had that happen but I havn't reloaded, maybe, 10,000 rounds or so. Wouldn't soaking them in Ed's Red for a bit before trying to punch out the primers do the trick?

dudel
04-05-2013, 09:11 PM
I never had that happen but there should be some way to make a little puller to grab the walls.

What I did was hand thread a drill bit till it caught, then grabbed the drill with a small vice-grip and pull the primer remains out.

44man
04-06-2013, 08:56 AM
What I did was hand thread a drill bit till it caught, then grabbed the drill with a small vice-grip and pull the primer remains out.
Good deal. Brass is getting too expensive to waste.

subsonic
04-06-2013, 09:01 AM
Happens once in a while. I've had it happen with older brass, but just use an awl to collapse the remaining cup sides and it'll usually fall out.

+ 1

Never had it happen, but once you get something between the primer and case it should come out. A tiny flat screw driver like for electronics or eyeglasses seems like the right tool for the job. Possibly sharpened on a file.

Maybe a berdan decapping tool?!

Case Stuffer
04-06-2013, 09:26 AM
Primers which seperate during decaping are called Ringers. I first read about these in

How To Live With Your Progressive Reloader written by Paul Jones back in 1979.

This little blue pamplet was so popular and informative that it was included with most of the CH Auto Champs and Star Progressive presses for years.

One thing cautioned aginst was:

Do Not Wash Your Empty Cartridge Casings in slovent or soap and water. It makes them so dry that nick3e3l plating will stick even to tungsten carbide. This is what causes carbide die to scratch.

The only ringers I have had over the years have been form outdoor range pickups which looked like they had spent way to long out in the weather. I had a couple recently in some 9mm which were very dark,some black which I felt should just be scraped but I wanted to deprime them and try the Lemo Shine wash that is the subject of a thread here.

deltaenterprizes
04-06-2013, 10:37 AM
I took a cement nail and ground it like a small chisel with a radius on the inside and outside to get between the ring and case, tapped it in to separate ring and used it a lever to pry the ring out.
It was more trouble than it was worth.

TheCelt
04-06-2013, 10:40 AM
Primer pocket reamer