PDA

View Full Version : Any TIN in Tin Cans?

finstr
04-04-2013, 05:50 PM
I have access to thousands of cans currently filled with water. These are samples for testing some machinery we're building. Pretty standard 8oz "tin can" and the alloy seems quite soft as they came to us from Peru. Is there any real tin in these and if so how do I check??

wallenba
04-04-2013, 05:52 PM
Don't think so anymore. All steel cans are seemless today I think. Cans were never 'tin', just were tinned together at the seams. How to check? Tin is non magnetic.

fryboy
04-04-2013, 07:29 PM
"Pretty standard 8oz "tin can" and the alloy seems quite soft as they came to us from Peru."

8 oz is standard ? half a pint .... newer tin cans are usually 15.25 oz. standard ( fluid oz. ) they have shrunk from 16 oz but supposedly not due to the umm inflation they say we dont have [geez] most tin cans are indeed steel ( well sheet metal anyways ) oddly enough flat thin sheet metal is also often called tin ( made of steel and used to be galvanized with zinc , tho often coated in paint/polymers today ) the name tin can actually derived from the fact that the sheet metal rusted rather quickly and they was "tinned" , much like the zinc in galvanized metal , hot dipped or plated , sorta funny that the name stuck lolz
if it doesnt pass the above magnet test no need to proceed :P
but that
"the alloy seems quite soft"
is throwing most of use for a loop , by alloy you mean you have melted the can ? if so then it could either be tin or zinc , possibly some alloy of either or even with both , if you did smelt some try the muratic acid test
if it doesnt pass the above magnet test no need to proceed :P

00buck
04-04-2013, 08:06 PM
Junk them and take the money and buy tin

Defcon-One
04-05-2013, 02:35 PM
Any TIN in Tin Cans?

Yeah, but only in the name!

Steel cans used to be Tin lined, very little Tin in them, to protect the food from interacting with the steel can. They now use polymer (plastic or lacquer) coatings to line the cans, so no Tin at all. Either way, not enough Tin to even consider it.

The best source for Tin is Solder or scrap Pewter.

PS: Don't drink the water!

finstr
04-07-2013, 12:00 PM
Ok thanks fellas, the magnet did stick. I had to ask.....you know:killingpc
I wonder what the water in Peru tastes like? kidding