PDA

View Full Version : NZ pulling out of Afghanistan

JeffinNZ
04-04-2013, 05:39 PM
Hi all.

Our time in the 'Ghan is up. Our reconstruction team is coming home and bringing with them the 30 interpreters that assisted us and their families. I am very proud of our political 'leaders' for doing the right thing and relocating the native folk that put so much on the line to help us to help them. Left behind they would be murdered for sure.

nicholst55
04-04-2013, 05:43 PM
Agreed, it's nice to see any government do the right thing. I don't expect our distinguished president to make the same choice. You never know, though - they would all doubtless become democrats, and that seems to be all that party is concerned about!

I fully expect the Taliban to be running Afghanistan again within a very short time after the US pulls out.

429421Cowboy
04-04-2013, 07:51 PM
That is only the right thing to do, they wouldn't last long in their own country after the military pulled out.
Local paper just ran an article about a local officer that helped two of his interpreters gain US citizenship because of the danger they faced after his unit shipped out. Seems like countries should do more of that, so good on NZ for making things right!

76 WARLOCK
04-04-2013, 08:22 PM
I hope our miserable government would do the same, but after Vietnam an Iraq I doubt that will happen.

Charlie Two Tracks
04-04-2013, 08:29 PM
Thanks for your help. I'm glad to see them be out of harms way. Your government made the correct choice in bringing those other guys with them.

JeffinNZ
04-05-2013, 03:35 PM
I fully expect the Taliban to be running Afghanistan again within a very short time after the US pulls out.

Unfortunately, I believe your prediction will be correct.