PDA

View Full Version : Stainless Octagon and Round Barrels

Boomer Mikey
08-27-2007, 07:54 PM
I'm looking for a source for new 357/358, 375, and 429/430 stainless steel octagon and round lever gun barrels. I've seen the usual offerings in the Midway and Brownells catalogs from Wind River and Green Mountain but they don't list any stainless barrels.

I hope I don't need to buy a stainless blank and mill the flats or turn the contours myself. The barrel would need straightening after milling the octagon or turning the round contours anyway.

Any of you smiths or hobby guys know a source?

Boomer :Fire:

John Taylor
08-27-2007, 09:17 PM
I use Douglas barrels and machine them to what ever I want. I had trouble with another stainless barrel warping in the mill because it was not properly stress relieved after the button went through. I don't have a problem with Douglas barrel warping. I have patterns for Winchester 94 round, half round and octagon. 92 round and octagon and 86 octagon. I have made quite a few 86 barrels in the last few month, got a run on them but none in stainless. Also use Montana Rifleman barrels some.

Boomer Mikey
08-28-2007, 02:13 PM
Thanks for the input John,

I have a couple of SS Puma M92's with oversize barrels, one round and one octagon I want to re-barrel. They aren't really worth the cost of a quality barrel but I'm funny that way.

The Montana Rifleman barrels are a little pricey but it looks like I can get a twist rate I would like better (1:20) than the existing 1:30 twist rate.

I'm going to contact M&M Gunsmithing to see if there has been any change in bore sizes for the 44's lately. Years ago all of his parts inventory were 0.433" or larger groove diameter.

Boomer :Fire:

John Taylor
08-28-2007, 03:52 PM
Montana rifleman barrels are a little steep on the stainless. The last CM barrel I got from them was a 9.3MM, customer said it shoots a 1/2" group.

waksupi
08-28-2007, 08:38 PM
Don't hold you breath on getting a Montana Rifle barrel. They have had a batch of bad steel, and are in deep financial troubles at the time.

John Taylor
08-29-2007, 10:29 AM
Don't hold you breath on getting a Montana Rifle barrel. They have had a batch of bad steel, and are in deep financial troubles at the time.

That info is a year old. They had a small batch of bad steel and replaced the barrels that were bad. I just talked to them this morn.