PDA

View Full Version : Opinion...which press to buy?

stocker1042
04-04-2013, 12:08 PM
Looking for some advice here. I know everyone has their opinions, so I'm asking for them.

I am getting back into reloading. When I did it before, I had a single stage Lee press. While it was great to learn on it, I felt like it took way too long to get the job done. I only use it for handgun ammo, 9/38/357/44/45.

I want to buy a progressive press. I don't do rifle stuff, so this is for handgun only. I like the idea of the Hornady Lock and Load without the case and bullet feeder. Seems to be around $600 or so. That's about my limit price wise, but I suppose I could go a few hundred higher if need be.

I don't shoot all that much, but more than a single stage and my patience can handle. Opinions?

Bonz
04-04-2013, 12:38 PM
I just finally received my Hornady LNL Ammo plant and could not be happier. There are still a few issues with this press but I am sure that every model press made has some type of issues. The biggest one right now is with 9mm reloading. I loaded a "ample supply" of 357 magnum and 45acp with very few issues that were all resolved. In fact, some of our members were helpful in assisting, I never called Hornady ;-).

Issues right now are with the 9mm bullet feeder die; its extremely sensitive to adjustment and does not load bullets into the cases 50% of the time. The other is with the 9mm bullet feeder spring tubing that comes from the bullet feeder and connects to the bullet feeder die. The ID is too close to the diameter (.355) of the 9mm bullet and sometimes stops the bullets from passing thru.

I am upgrading from a Lyman manual turret and the difference is huge. Besides being able to make loaded ammo a lot faster, the press is more precise and easier to stay within tolerances.

Dan Cash
04-04-2013, 12:40 PM
Dillon 550B. Versatile, simple, sustainable dealer support. Keep it clean and you have no quirks to iron out.

PS Paul
04-04-2013, 12:57 PM
Have you considered a turret press instead of a true progressive? Several makers out there with those for much less than a progressive. By your self-description, I would think, if you don't shoot that much, your needs would be met by a turret press. I have a Lee classic turret and it works wonderfully. You are limited somewhat with the volumetric charges thrown by the powder measure, but most of my pistol needs are met with this press and volumetric measure...... I use a true powder measure for rifle loads.....

Otherwise, Dillon and hornady seem to be good presses as many will testify. I cannot speak to that since I do not own one. You will find the volume of ammo will be around 4 times the amount you can make batch loading with a single-stage press.

Don't know if that helps or not, but it would appear this might fit your needs best, by my assessment?

Sensai
04-04-2013, 01:40 PM
Another vote that the Lee Classic Turret sounds like a perfect match for your needs. The progressives are great for high volume, but they're demanding in patience and they are unforgiving of mistakes.

1bluehorse
04-04-2013, 01:46 PM
Looking for some advice here. I know everyone has their opinions, so I'm asking for them.

I am getting back into reloading. When I did it before, I had a single stage Lee press. While it was great to learn on it, I felt like it took way too long to get the job done. I only use it for handgun ammo, 9/38/357/44/45.

I want to buy a progressive press. I don't do rifle stuff, so this is for handgun only. I like the idea of the Hornady Lock and Load without the case and bullet feeder. Seems to be around $600 or so. That's about my limit price wise, but I suppose I could go a few hundred higher if need be.

I don't shoot all that much, but more than a single stage and my patience can handle. Opinions?

Well, you asked for opinions, so here's mine...progressve press options (considering no case feeder is involved and price isn't the issue) 1. RCBS Pro 2000, I like the priming system better..2. Hornady LNL, price point ( probably most for the least), solid die head is not a disadvantage...3. Dillon 650, the ONLY reason I have this press third (remember no case feeder) is the ergonomics of case and bullet placement (for me)....these are all 5 station auto indexing presses and are all of very good quality with good support...it just depends on the features of each that appeal (or doesn't appeal) to you...the Lee progressive presses (in my opinion) do not compare in quality or reliability, their best feature is price point...I have used all these presses, found the top three to be so close in quality comparison and usablity that I feel a person can't go wrong with any of them. With the one exception as noted...I didn't include the Dillon 550 (which is a great press, because it's a 4 station manually indexing press and is actually kinda in a class of it's own ) I personally have and use a couple older model RCBS progressive presses that work very well for me...if I were going to replace one or both, these would be my choices...(If a case feeder were to be employed then the order of preference is subject to change...) ;-)

HATCH
04-04-2013, 02:04 PM
Get a dillon 550.
or two dillon sq deal 's
One for large primer and one for small.

Right now. I have two 550s and just bought a square deal b
Small pistol, large pistol, & dedicated 45acp.

Love Life
04-04-2013, 03:10 PM
Dillon RL550B.

Ironing out quirks in machines that cost several hundred dollars is for the birds...

Kent Fowler
04-04-2013, 03:21 PM
Get a dillon 550.
or two dillon sq deal 's

I bought two Square Deal's back in 1989. The small pistol machine has been rebuilt twice, free of charge, by Dillon. The large pistol machine is still going strong. I couldn't be happier with the loaders. While it is argued that the SD caliber conversions are expensive, take into consideration the bigger Dillon machines require the purchase of a conversion kit AND dies.

M-Tecs
04-04-2013, 03:31 PM
I'm a Dillon fan. I don't like turrets at all. 550's are great machines but my three 650's and my two 1050 suit my needs best.

Good info here.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?170969-Which-turret-or-progressive-should-I-go-for&highlight=M-Tecs

stocker1042
04-04-2013, 03:43 PM
Thanks for the info...I was given a Lee Turret press...but it looks like it is missing parts to the priming system. You guys are correct..I do not shoot all that much but the single stage is painful for me to use.

If I was going to roll with a turret...which one is the better ones to get? The powder system on the Lee one looks a little "rube goldberg" like.

1bluehorse
04-04-2013, 03:46 PM
Well my answer to the OP was what press(s), in my opinion, would be a good progressive press for someone to start with/buy and why....If I had known it was going to be a contest in who had the biggest and the most I wouldn't have bothered....

as for the turret press....
The Lee Classic Turret press is a very good option for someone who doesn't need the quantity that a progressive puts out..easy to operate, pull a case at any point to inspect easily, good priming system, it's a strong, solidly built press capable of 150 rounds per hr. without much effort and has a large enough opening to handle large rifle calibers. The Pro disk powder measure works very well, it's accurate, easy to empty, (has an on and off position) but for larger powder charges ( rifle) you need the double disk kit (inexpensive). It seems from what I've read everyone that has one seems to like them...I like mine, just finished 100 rounds of 223 a few minutes ago..the adjustable charge bar at full open position will drop 24.5gr. of H335...it never varied on the 10 or so I checked by more than a tenth of a grain...pretty good...

stocker1042
04-04-2013, 03:50 PM
M-tec..that link was what I am kind of looking for. This board is a great source of all sorts of information and pictures.

DxieLandMan
04-04-2013, 03:51 PM
I'm a big Lee Pro 1000 fan. Have one for 9mm and .38/357. They are reliable and I have had no problems with mine. Although, if anything the primer feed is twirky so I have a lee hand prime to do that.

Regnar
04-04-2013, 04:10 PM
+1 for Dillon

L Erie Caster
04-04-2013, 05:19 PM
http://i1096.photobucket.com/albums/g327/Wynn3/untitled23m_zpsabc8f172.png
:lol:

ph4570
04-04-2013, 05:33 PM
I suggest a Hornady LNL. I have had one Dillon 550 since mid '80s (started out as a 450) and another 550B for about 10 years. They have served me well. However, I have operated LNLs and if I did not have the Dillons I would go for a LNL.

stocker1042
04-04-2013, 07:19 PM
Thanks for the insight guys. I am leaning towards a Lee Turret after thinking about this some more. In the end, for the cost of it, if it does not work for me I will upgrade to a Dillon or a LNL.

M-Tecs
04-04-2013, 08:33 PM
If you decide later to go with a progressive press here is an another link with 550/650 info http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?56577-Dillon-550-or-650

1bluehorse for your reading enjoyment my post is #21:bigsmyl2:

stocker1042
04-05-2013, 09:04 AM
Another great thread. Thanks again. Now, all I have to do is find a press that is in stock...seems like everyone in the world is out or trying to gouge the buyers.

Chilmonty
04-05-2013, 10:30 AM
If money is not an issue than Dillon is the best option, there warranty is great.

If you submerge a Dillon press in salt water for 2 years, you can send it back and they will rebuild it like new or just send you a new one!

rodsvet
04-05-2013, 03:13 PM
Too bad you are in the east. Look in the swappin sellin section for a fair price on a 550.

Lloyd Smale
04-07-2013, 07:45 AM
I own dillon and hornadys and have used them all and will say this. Most everyone i know thats been progressively loading for more then 10 years hands down prefers dillons. Why? They may cost a bit more but you get what you pay for. If you prefer making ammo to tweaking a press go blue. Youll get alot of recomendations to buy others but most come from guys that just bought them or have had them for a couple years and truth be told you probably have to wipe the dust off of them before you could use them. You are also going to get alot of recomendations from guys who love there X brand but truth be told its the only one they ever owned so how can they possibly know its the best. They will throw out little pieces of **** about the weekness of the other presses they got from someone elses internet post and it probably came from someone who feels they have to justify what they bought. Go to a competitive pistol shoot. Not your local little shoot but one that the pros shoot at and ask them what kind of equiptment there loading on and ill bet a dime to a dollar at least 90 percent of them use dillon stuff.

daniel lawecki
04-07-2013, 08:34 AM
Hornady LNL gets my vote.

USMC87
04-07-2013, 08:46 AM
I load on a 550 Dillon and it works good for me, That being said I have a friend who uses a hornady lnl ap and loves it, I have another friend that uses a rcbs pro 2000 and has no problems with it. I think they are all good but comes down to personal preference, If you could find somebody close that has a progressive and use theirs it would help in your decision.

second chance
04-07-2013, 10:26 PM
Dillon 550B. Versatile, simple, sustainable dealer support. Keep it clean and you have no quirks to iron out.
I have a 550B and have never had a problem. It's next to imposible to find a reason to use their "No Bull" warranty!

HATCH
04-07-2013, 10:43 PM
I started on a 550.
my friend Philip is starting and it will be a dillon for him just not sure if a 550,650 or square deal b.

1bluehorse
04-08-2013, 11:56 AM
If you decide later to go with a progressive press here is an another link with 550/650 info http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?56577-Dillon-550-or-650

1bluehorse for your reading enjoyment my post is #21:bigsmyl2:

I read it, excellent post.... I've never even SEEN a 1050 in person, much to my dismay..would very much enjoy trying one..However I have ran a 550 and 650 and liked them both (whats not to like) like I mentioned earlier the case insertion on the 650 being on the right side was..ummm, awkward to me..being used to using the left hand on other presses I'm sure..but never-the-less awkward..other than that...no issues what-so-ever..

sigep749
04-13-2013, 12:20 AM
Just bought a Hornady lnl through Natchez for $389, got a case feeder from Brownells for $329, just a little over $700. This is an upgrade from my Pro 1000 and I am excited to get rolling!

noylj
04-13-2013, 02:09 AM
Isn't there a sticky for this?
First, can you reload with 3 stations, 4 stations or 5 stations? I decided in the late '70s that I needed 5 stations. Thus, all the 3- and 4-stations are off my radar in terms of what I would buy. Next, I wanted auto-indexing. This, at the time as I remember, made the Hornady my choice (5-stations and auto-indexing) and eliminated the Dillon.
Today, I would look only at the following:
If no case collator is needed, I would get the Hornady L-N-L AP. I was very happy with mine, and gave it to my son and he is very happy with it.
If a case collator is needed, I would get the Dillon 650 with case feeder or the Dillon 1050.
Currently, I have three 1050s. If they got stolen, I would go out and buy another Hornady and watch for deals on 1050s again.
If 4-stations were all I needed, I would get a Dillon SDB (I can not imagine any reason I would ever consider a 550B--only 4-stations and no auto-index).
If money was very tight and I enjoyed working on the press, I would look at one of the Lee presses as a challenge. Note: the LoadMaster has five stations, but one is a dedicated priming station--so it is really a 4-station press.

Kull
04-13-2013, 02:52 AM
Get a dillon 550.
or two dillon sq deal 's

With what the op wanted the Square Deal B was my first thought. Whatever.....just buy something from Dillon. Enos has page with advise on which Dillon to buy here (http://www.brianenos.com/pages/dillon.html#which).

DougGuy
04-13-2013, 03:12 AM
The Lee Load Master is a pain in the BUTT. It will load good ammo, but you need to prime all your brass on it in one operation, then fill cases and seat boolits in a separate operation, and if you use a collet crimp die that dead heads the shell holder against the collet, you need to do this in a 3rd operation or do it on a single stage after you get done loading all the rounds.

Smaller calibers than 44 mag or 45 colt and just using a taper crimp or roll crimp would be faster and easier and could be done fully progressive, but the large pistol cases are better done in separate stages.

I wasn't going to buy another Lee press this go round, but everybody was out of stock on everything and the ones that weren't out of stock wanted a eff'n fortune for their stuff. I got a Lee at Titan Reloading, their price was the cheapest of anybody and they had the Load Master set up in 45 Colt in stock and they shipped quickly. At least I have ammo, and I'm developing hunting loads and range testing them.

The Lee powder measure blows goats, it was horrible, and I couldn't find any of the old good ones or the old billet aluminum charge bars, but I got a used Dillon 550 powder measure and it works a LOT better..

Next time, maybe a Dillon.

luky-dude
04-13-2013, 07:57 AM
I started on a Dillon square deal--have a case feed on a 650 now. I would say start with the 650

nvald1982
05-09-2013, 07:09 PM
hornady lnl press is bang for buck$$! if I could afford a dillion 650xl. I would buy it! but I cannot complain about hornady. a lot of my friends have converted to it

blikseme300
05-10-2013, 04:39 PM
For pistol only the Dillon SDB is very good value but for all-round I prefer the Hornady progressives. If you are really pressed by budget and have good mechanical aptitude then the Lee Pro1000 could be an option.

(My presses are 4 Dillon SDB's, 4 LnL AP's, 2 Pro7's, 1 Projector, 1 Lee LM, 1 Lee turret & 6 Lee Pro1000's. Each has it's place and function.)

Char-Gar
05-10-2013, 04:55 PM
You asked for opinions, so here is mine. I avoid progressive loaders like the plague because it is to easy to overcharge a case. The number of blow up firearms have gone up in direct relationship to the numbers of these things in use.

They are safe enough, if you can maintain concentration and not let your mind wander. It would appear I don't have what it takes as I over charged a case on my Dillon.

I now use a Redding turret for most handgun ammo. I want to be able to eyeball each and every powder charge before I seat the bullet.

There, now you have my opinion.

Smoke4320
05-10-2013, 04:57 PM
For your stated $600.00 price range Hornady LNL AP.. go an extra 200 and get a decked out 650 and never look back ..

bear67
05-10-2013, 05:44 PM
Some of you drive Chevy, some a Ford or Dodge--me I own at least one of each currently. Started loading with a Herters press in '59 and have owned several since. First progressive was a MEC shotshell back when we shot close to a case a week. First turrets were Lyman, but the first progressive press for brass ammo was a Square Deal. I bought the first one used in the sixties and it loaded lots of .45 acp. The SDBs were great handgun ammo machines and I recently sold my last one for lots more than I paid for it after 50K rounds. I had picked up a used 550 and was loading .38 spl and others on it and got a chance to pick up a new 550 that a retired LEO friend had bought and could not figure how to set it up. He had powder, j-bullets, brass and primers and all I had to do was load up some shootin' ammo for him. I like Dillon and their service.

I wound up with a Lee Load All in a trade and tried it in 9 mm and was less than impressed. Was constantly tweeking something or cleaning something or fixing mistakes. I have lots of Lee stuff overall, but was not impressed.

Post end. If I was advising my best friend or one of my children or grand children about buying a press, I would suggest Dillon. I think about 650s, but have toolheads set up for 10 caliberes, so why change what isn't broke. At 70, I think they will certainly outlast me and my need for range fodder.

Lets all go to the range and burn some powder--keeps your mind off of politics, govermint, and O'barfma.

country gent
05-10-2013, 05:47 PM
I have used most of the major presses out there at one time or another, always looking for something better, I guess. My Favorite single stage press is the Bonanza Co Ax no shell holders, a quick change die system and a great priming system. Draw backs are special "shell plates" for 22 honet and 45-70 sized cases and lee die rings dont work with it. My favorite progressive are my 650 dillions. I perfer the case feeder option as it frees up my hand for bullets only and has 5 stations for every step done seperatly. I deprime by hand and clean before rounds go into press. The reason I like the case feeder is I looad 32 acp and 380 even 9mm try handling those quick LOL. The feeder just puts them in for me so easily. I have 2 650 one set up with a harrels powder measure for rifle rounds the other for pistol. I have a lymann oarnge crusher for drastically reforming cases. A rock Chucker ( because it is the "press to have when I started". A couple lees a c frame mounted and a lee 3 hole turret. I have loaded mant thousands of rounds ( rifle .308,223,243, 300 win mag. Pistol .32 .380 9mm .38 .357 .40 10mm .44 spl .44 mag . 45 ACP .45 colt) on my presses All have done a good job its mostly personall prefrence. I was NRA High power rifle competitor for many years.

Bucking the Tiger
05-10-2013, 05:56 PM
There is a good reason you are seeing so many strong opined Dillon fans.
They, in my opinion, are the best.I owned a 650 for years and made massive amounts of ammo with it. I would recommend the 550. First class unit and easier(and cheaper) to use than the 650. Dillon's customer support is without comparison. They really stand behind their stuff!

MT Chambers
05-10-2013, 06:22 PM
Dillon for progressive, Forster Co-ax for the rest, for it's quality and fastest die changes, no turrets to buy, no pot metal.

r1kk1
05-10-2013, 08:05 PM
Dillon for progressive, Forster Co-ax for the rest, for it's quality and fastest die changes, no turrets to buy, no pot metal.

I will finally add the CO-AX this year! Well, as soon as its available again.

gefiltephish
05-11-2013, 03:12 PM
This thread is over a month old now and we don't know if the OP decided on anything yet, or has been able to get what he may have decided on. That said, I'm gonna toss in my 2 cents.

I have a rock chucker, LCT, Loadmaster and LNL AP with case feeder. If someone were to ask me today, if I could only have one, which would it be - I'd have to say the LCT due to it's simplicity, versatility and stone axe reliability. However, if I knew that I was only going to be doing higher volume handgun, I'd choose the LNL. I would only suggest a loadmaster to people I really don't like, and probably not even then.

If I was in the market for another high volume progressive that I planned to only occasionally switch calibers with, I'd seriously consider the Dillon 650. The LNL is a great press, but the priming system (while light years ahead of the loadmaster) leaves something to be desired (handles small primers with ease but large requires more leverage than the press provides comfortably). I've never even seen a Dillon in person, but I'd still be inclined to give it a shot.

If I was in the market for a progressive to only do a single caliber with, I might consider an SDB. OR possibly one each for small and large primers. The one drawback is the SDB only has 4 stations and I like at least 5 for loading cast (I'm partial to the use of M dies and separate seating/crimping). For jacketed I would have no issues with the 4 hole press.

The OP did state that he was interested in a progressive for 4-5 handgun calibers, but indicated that his volume needs are not too high. He also indicated in a later post that he'd consider the LCT. That would also be my suggestion. While the loadmaster is a toad, Lee hit a home run with the LCT. Even though it does only have 4 stations, I work around it (which I'm sure could be done with the SDB as well).

stocker1042
05-11-2013, 09:49 PM
Well..to make a long thread even longer...I managed to run into a few REALLY good buyout deals that were all local. I ended up with an old school rockchucker for basic stuff and...a 550 Dillon for a song that is in like new condition. Looks like blue and green for me. Now...as soon as summer is here I'll get up and running!

plinky56
05-13-2013, 10:19 AM
Check out the turret presses at lee. I just helped a younger friend new to reloading set a 4hole top up, and i'm now a believer. Super cool for certain rounds. We did 9mm and 45 acp. This weekend .223, and aside from lubing/cleaning lube will probable work as well as the pistol. There is a lot of power in that press.

David2011
05-14-2013, 10:14 PM
Congrats, Stocker. Now you can see why we love our Dillons so much. I have an old Rockchucker II in addition to my Dillons. IMO it's a better press than a friend's late model RC IV. My RC's linkage is much tighter and smoother. You may end up using the Dillon for the simple stuff and the RC for the "more complicated" loading. That's been my experience; YMMV.

David

plinky56
05-16-2013, 09:43 AM
Just helped a younger friend of mine to get into reloading. He bought the lee turret press, and I was amazed at how well it works for pistol cartridges. Once we set it up, and after about 10-20 were run through to verify repeatability, we just had to keep it filled and put the finished in boxes. After a range session, they shot very well. For about 120$ for the kit, how can you go wrong? By the way, we are not commercial reloaders, but even on occasion doing about 1000-1200 a week, this is of such quality that we feel it will last a lifetime.

timtonya
05-18-2013, 11:49 AM
I started with a Hornady single stage, then the infamous boat anchor, Lee loadmaster. I got tired of constantly tinkering with it so this year I got new dillon 550b and couldn't be happier. Wish I would've waited and bought first.

johnh57
05-18-2013, 02:08 PM
r1kk1 - gunstop reloading had 16 coax's in stock a few days ago. I'm not sure what they have in stock now. www.gunstop.com

They have been fairly good to me this year. Ultimately got 90% of what I needed to get my LNL up and running from them, including the LNL. Prices are a touch higher than midway - but not outrageous. Anything I ordered from them that was in stock was shipped within a day or so of me ordering it - which is pretty good these days.

nratom45-70
05-18-2013, 07:58 PM
What about the RCBS progressive press?

fredj338
05-18-2013, 09:11 PM
If you must have auto indexing, then the LNL is an ok press. There are issues, the priming system is the biggest problem, but it is a useful press. However, if you EVER decide to go w/ a case feeder, then forget the LNL & jump to the 650. The total cost diff will only be about $75 & the 650 is nearly bullet proof; better case feeder & near flawless priming system.
If you NEVER want a case feeder & don't really care about the auto indexing, then a Dillon 550 is a great press for multiple calibers. It's easy to change over & easy to keep running. The speed of the progressive comes from a case feeder, not the auto indexing. FOrget any progressive made by Lee. If I were on a budget & wanted to step up from my ss, then the Lee Calssic Turret is a better made tool than any of their progressives IMO.
The RCBS, good design, but the AP priming strip turns me off. Primers are already getting expensive & hard to get, paying more or taking the time to load the strips just doesn't do it for me.

nvald1982
05-20-2013, 12:15 AM
I have the hornady lnl progressive press, it's affordable/ bang for buck