PDA

View Full Version : Rimfire Jacket Punch Wear - Cleaning Shells

30yrcaster
04-04-2013, 10:53 AM
Hello,

Haven't done the rimfire jackets in a while. Still got a couple thousand already made up. Back when I used to do them, the end of the punch got eaten up pretty quickly with the primer residue left in the rim. At the time there was no way to get it out. I had to regularly order extra punches. Once the end of the punch got worn and the dia reduced, it didn't iron out the rim as nicely and left more of a groove.

Do you guys use the ultrasonic cleaners to get the residue out of the rim? Does it really work effectively?

Do they (RCE & Corbin) make better punches that don't wear out as quickly?

Any other methods to deal with this?

Thanks

BT Sniper
04-04-2013, 11:04 AM
The punches I use are hardened HSS. Have not noticed any wear.

BT

bullet maker 57
04-04-2013, 12:00 PM
My punches are also hardened. No wear so far.

30yrcaster
04-04-2013, 08:32 PM
That sounds promising. How many jackets can you make before the punch needs to be replaced, 5k, 10k etc. Or you saying it doesn't wear and need to be replaced?

The ones I bought from Corbin long ago wore quickly. He had mentioned to heat them red then quench in water. That resulted in broken punches after only a few jackets. I still have 4 left. They're .198 dia with 10-32 threads. Is that a std size these days?

Thanks

alfloyd
04-04-2013, 09:45 PM
"Do you guys use the ultrasonic cleaners to get the residue out of the rim? Does it really work effectively?"

Yes it works great.
I use the large Harbor Freight cleaner with Lemon-shine and Dawn dish soap.

Lafaun

kweidner
04-04-2013, 10:14 PM
Ss media gets it out real good.

sprinkintime
04-05-2013, 01:07 AM
I
That sounds promising. How many jackets can you make before the punch needs to be replaced, 5k, 10k etc. Or you saying it doesn't wear and need to be replaced?

The ones I bought from Corbin long ago wore quickly. He had mentioned to heat them red then quench in water. That resulted in broken punches after only a few jackets. I still have 4 left. They're .198 dia with 10-32 threads. Is that a std size these days?

Thanks
I've made almost 5K with my punch, which is heat treated O-1 and drawn back to approx. 50Rc. I also just put a few thousand in a pan with a little soap & citric acid and boil the **** out of them for 45 min. or so.
Sprink.

DukeInFlorida
04-05-2013, 06:04 AM
I run my raw .22LR brass through my SS tumbling system BEFORE de-rimming. Insides are like new when I de-rim.
AS has been said, my de-rimming punch is hardened steel, no sign of wear after bazillions of punches.