PDA

View Full Version : Triming 45 Colt with Wilson Case Trimmer

SgtDog0311
04-03-2013, 12:37 PM
I reload for more rifles than I do for handgun cartridges. I've been using a Wilson case trimmer and that works great for the longer cases but I need to trim some 45 Colts and some 32-20s. I see the 45 Colt has a recessed case holder and from what I read have to be tapped in and secured differently and them tapped back out, sounding like a slow process.

Was wondering if anyone trims their 45 Colt with a Wilson and if they might offer some insight. Not sure if I should get the Q model or even bother with the Wilson at all (not that I want to buy another trimmer).

Most of my brass is short, since my Marlin expands it significantly, thereby shortening it. But my case lengths in the assorted brass I have are all over the map, and SOME are in need of trimming, I'd like to at least get more consistancy in case length, not to mention being within specs on the long stuff. Appreciate any insight offered.

felix
04-03-2013, 12:51 PM
John, with the 45 Colt you are in luck because the majority of pistol boolits are not crimped into place. Use your ACP boolit of choice and crimp by feel in the middle of the top bearing surface. The length of the cases won't matter when loaded 'thisaway'. ... felix

Char-Gar
04-03-2013, 01:20 PM
SgtDog....

I shoots lots of 45 Colt rounds and do indeed crimp the cast bullets. For plinking and blasting ammo uneven case mouths are not a problem. However, if you are going for precision and ultimate accuracy then you need cases that are uniform in length and have square mouths and then trimming is in order.

I have been using a Wilson trimmer for 50 years and also use file trim dies. I am set up to do 45 Colt on both systems and yes it can be slow.

Wilson offers two kinds of case holders for straight handgun cases. The Q holder uses a tapered pin to hold the case in and the regular requires the case to be tapped in and out. Both systems work with the Q holder being faster but costing more.

I am not a speed freak when it comes to reloading so I am not bothered by the time expended with either shell holder. With the regular system, I use a cheap Harbor Freight 1 ton arbor press to press the cases into the holder and have made a knock out plug (for use in the old Lyman Shell Resizer hand sizer) which I also use to knock out case out of the Wilson holder. This plug shoves against the inside bottom of the case and not the case mouth.

There are other systems out there that are faster than the Wilson, but none are more accurate or precise.

SgtDog0311
04-03-2013, 02:28 PM
felix, Char-Gar, Thank for the feedback. It helps push my thinking a bit.

I should have mentioned that I'm shooting the 45s in a Marlin Cowboy since it has some bearing on the question. Those chambers are oversize and the brass expansion is significant. I had Veral make a mold for me which I have yet to try out (that one is supposed to drop a big bullet to help center things-so the sizing down may be different for bullets dropped from that mold) but I also bought a 300gr LBT mold (.454) here off a CB member and I have shot that one. Point I'm trying to formulate is that the sizing prior to trimming may be a little different for bullets from each of those two molds.

Which gets to the delta in Wilson Shell Holders between fired and unfired cases. But if I’m not assuming to much, from what Char-Gar is saying about the Q-style holder, the cross-bar is seating the case in the holder more so than the sidewalls of the holder. Which may be a safer purchase plus being a bit faster. As much as I hope to shoot this one I’m thinking that might be my preference. That is, when I AM trimming brass. Both molds have a crimp ring and I like to stay consistent on COAL , so I guess I could be trimming as often as not.

You can tell I’m just getting a start on this one. Thanks Again for the feedback. Really appreciate it.

Calamity Jake
04-04-2013, 02:39 PM
Just get you a Lee trimmer, fast, easy and cheap.