PDA

View Full Version : New Equipment Question Regarding Second Press

txbonds
04-03-2013, 11:37 AM
First, thanks for such a great forum as I just stumbled in but look forward to hanging out for a while. I'm getting back into reloading after a brief start 4 or 5 years ago where I ended up selling my equipment. In the past few weeks, I've managed to round up a good bit of nice equipment in order to initially reload 9mm and .223. So far, I've rounded up the following:

Dillon RL550B with .223 carbide and 9mm carbide dies/conversion kits
RCBS Chargemaster Combo scale/dispenser and a Dillon exterminator beam scale
RCBS Universal hand primer
Dillon 600 Super Swage
Projectiles, Powder, Primers, Cases
Load Books and Reference Books

What I'm trying to decide on is buying a single stage press to pair with the Dillon for loading rifle rounds. Something that can load larger rounds, but also with the thought of using for a starter/learner device, a sizing/decapping station for rifle, and also for working up initial loads. I'm looking at and torn between the Lee Classic Cast and the Redding Big Boss II presses.

Understanding the 550 can be used like a single stage, I'm still thinking there is logic in my approach. That said, I'd like to ask for input on the idea and approach, as well as which of these two presses might pair better with my Dillon as they seem to both be great presses. Thank you.

hotbrew
04-03-2013, 01:48 PM
Check out the Forster Co-ax. It works well for rifle and is very flexible / fast for changing set-ups. I make up new setups on the co-ax and then move them to the 550 after everything is set. If you are going to be changing charges, length, or checking out multiple boolits its a good way to go.

hotbrew

txbonds
04-03-2013, 02:08 PM
Check out the Forster Co-ax. It works well for rifle and is very flexible / fast for changing set-ups. I make up new setups on the co-ax and then move them to the 550 after everything is set. If you are going to be changing charges, length, or checking out multiple boolits its a good way to go.

hotbrew

I like the looks of the Forster and the idea of it, but have a few issues with it. First is price, second I already have the LNL conversion bushing kit and lastly the arm height looks like it would be uncomfortable for me as compared to a lower handle. I know, given the coin I've dropped on the current equipment price shouldn't matter, but it does somewhat, but more than price are the ergonomics of it. I know it is uncomfortable for me to do things that require me to hold my arms up or over head for long periods of time, so I'm just guessing this would get uncomfortable in use. That said, I'm really trying to stick to either the lee classic cast or the redding big boss 2. Thanks for the feedback though.

gwpercle
04-03-2013, 02:40 PM
Yes there is good logic in your thoughts of having a single stage to handle all those little things that pop up while reloading. Any single stage will do, I picked up a older Eagle Cobra press for $29.00 , including postage, off ebay and it works fine for that purpose. Another thing you might consider is the Lee Hand Press. It's a full size single stage press, just not bolted to a bench. I had one and found so many uses I bought another , keep one inside the house so I can do things inside when weather is bad ( my regular bench area is not heated or cooled ) . I reload 30-06 and other full sized rifle cases on it easily and I have the upper body strength of a marshmellow. I use the press while sitting with the press in my lap resting against one leg...very comfortable for arms . This press may be a good option because you can place it where it is easy for you to operate.
A good single stage is never a bad idea and it doesn't have to be new or expensive, just working.

gary
I allmost forgot....Welcome to the forum from Louisiana.

JonB_in_Glencoe
04-03-2013, 03:44 PM
The Lee classic cast is an awesome press for the price. The Hollow ram for primer disposal is a great feature.

txbonds
04-03-2013, 03:49 PM
The Lee classic cast is an awesome press for the price. The Hollow ram for primer disposal is a great feature.

Thanks JonB

For the price....... But is the Big Boss 2 worth $50 more, or is there no real difference other than the warranty? I'm thinking the warranty is not an issue as the $50 saved almost pays for half of the cost of replacing a Classic Cast Lee if you break it after 2 years, and I'm guessing it's a life time press in post cases anyway. Only other thing I'm seeing different is the Big Boss is canted which may make it easier to see and use if you are right handed, which I am.

Bodine
04-03-2013, 03:55 PM
With the way things are if you can get it any single stage would be a good choice. I would offer that the 550B does have the ability to load rifle rounds with the correct conversion kit. I have it for 308, 30-06 and 270 along with a host of pistol calibers. The dillon works well on all of them.

txbonds
04-03-2013, 04:04 PM
With the way things are if you can get it any single stage would be a good choice. I would offer that the 550B does have the ability to load rifle rounds with the correct conversion kit. I have it for 308, 30-06 and 270 along with a host of pistol calibers. The dillon works well on all of them.

Thanks. I have the dies and conversion kit for 223 on the dillon, but want to be able to pull part of the process off to a single press and plan to hand prime sometimes too. More for variety I guess, but eventually I may end up just running the whole process on the dillon. The single will give me options beyond just the dillon.

Right now I can find both presses in stock, I'm just stuck on figuring out if it makes sense to drop the extra $50 for the redding I guess.

txbonds
04-03-2013, 04:34 PM
OKAY, decision made. I went ahead and ordered the Lee Classic Cast press. Using the logic that it is cheaper and appears to be about as well received as the Redding Big Boss II based on the reviews. Some like to bash Lee in general, but most admit that the classic cast press and turret are quality built items even if they don't like the rest of the line. From a warranty perspective, it looks to be built like a tank so I'm hopeful I never need it. And, price wise if I ever decided to sell it and move to another it isn't that much of an investment in the grand scheme of this hobby, so it should be okay.

So, the self justification out of the way, I have a mixture of Blue, Red and Green products for my bench now basically hand selecting each item as I feel it would best meet my needs as opposed to buying a specific kit. Can't wait to get the bench actually setup and get started once my final items trickle in. :)

Just so everyone knows, I'm still not sure I made the right decision. LOL

DaveInFloweryBranchGA
04-04-2013, 08:13 AM
Having owned a Lee Classic Cast single stage since they first came out, I can say without reservation you made a wise choice. One of the best single stage presses (better than a RCBS Rock Chucker) regardless of price. They are a little rough around the edges out of the box, but clean up easily and get very smooth with time. Very well designed from a engineering standpoint, this press is a pleasure to use.

Note: I've owned a US made Rock Chucker and currently own an RCBS Pro 2000 auto advance progressive, so it's not about price, but performance.

txbonds
04-04-2013, 08:53 AM
Thanks Dave.

I really leaned heavily towards the Redding Big Boss 2, but saw some reviews somewhere while researching that indicated the handle design just didn't seem to have the leverage one would expect from such a large cast press. Can't remember where I saw that, but it commented on the linkage arms and the way the handle attaches. Not sure if they would all be that way or if it was just the one being reviewed, but figured to save $50 I would give the classic cast lee a try. I have also read the lee classic cast is made from recycled rail road rail, but I can't find any confirmed proof of that anywhere and quite honestly don't know that it means much other than it is strong steel. At any rate, I guess as long as the press I receive is strong, straight and runs true I will be happy regardless of color and name on the side. And, worse case scenario I'm not married to any of these purchases so if they don't work for me I can always sell and try another. :)

garandsrus
04-04-2013, 09:04 AM
Txbonds,

It sounds like you are pretty well set up. Be careful and double check everything.

Chilmonty
04-04-2013, 09:37 AM
I have used a Lee Classic Turret for many years and it is a great press!
4 pulls of the handle and you have a completed cartridge.
Not as fast as a progressive, but much faster than a single stage.
I only load for handguns so ultimately I would like a Dillon Square Deal for 45acp only and my turret for everything else.

38superdave
04-04-2013, 08:55 PM
Have both Dillons 550 & 650. Also have Hornady AP and Classic, can't imagine being without the Classic single stage. Yes, I can use 550 like a single stage but it's not the best press for pulling bullets.

Prefer loading belted magnums single stage too. That said, have some .45acp tumbling and loading with 3 Lee hand presses this evening. Like 300 to 400, powder is dropped using RCBS Little Dandy measure.

http://i660.photobucket.com/albums/uu324/daclark1911/SU1BRzA2MDIuanBn-1.jpg

txbonds
04-04-2013, 09:41 PM
Thanks Dave.

I'm still agonizing over press and equipment choices. LOL.

Half of me keeps wondering if I should have just gotten a matching single and turret setup like the redding ones or the lee cast ones! Or even just a single stage alone, and do my powder drops manually using the rcbs chargemaster

Understanding it wouldn't be nearly as fast as the dillon but the more I read the more I wonder if it wouldn't be simpler.

USMC87
04-04-2013, 10:27 PM
I use a pacific power c and a rcbs rock chucker supreme for my single stage needs. the pacific is very heavy built and provides all the leverage you need. good luck with the lee press.

txbonds
04-05-2013, 02:55 PM
This may be a crazy question, but would it be nuts if I were to return the 550b and accessories and used only a single stage press and maybe a turret? The more I keep thinking about it there is some logic because I'm not a high volume shooter and I am getting back into this to help with supply stabilization. I don't envision cranking out 1,000 rounds per session and I am not competition shooting where I have time line needs involved. I keep thinking that it might be better to have a matching single and turret setup for rifle/pistol respectively and to pick up a high grade powder dispenser to use in combination with my charge master.

Before I do something stupid, I'm hopeful to get some insight from others. I've probably got over $1k in total parts and pieces for the 550b at this point so there would be plenty of funds to cover the cost of a turret and high end powder dispenser setup. I already have all the other necessary items like scales, dies, etc. Guess I haven't succumbed to the blue koolaid yet. Thanks for humoring me.

EDG
04-05-2013, 08:56 PM
>>This may be a crazy question, but would it be nuts if I were to return the 550b and accessories and used only a single stage press<<<

No but I would rather have the Dillon than any turret for volume loading.

runfiverun
04-05-2013, 09:14 PM
or any not turret stuff too.
keep the dillon and the lee.
i do all my rifle brass prep off press then run it through.
even with carbide dies for the 223 you will still have to lube the cases.
so i size- deprime on the single stage then tumble the lube off.
then check for trim length [especially with an ar type rifle] then run through the dillon to prime,powder and seat the bullet.

keyhole
04-05-2013, 10:40 PM
I have a Forster Co-Ax from the 70's, Lee Classic Cast Single Stage, and Dillon 550b. If you plan on only loading less than ~300 rds of several to many calibers, in my experience the Dillon is more trouble than its worth. They are great for loading a lot of something, but if I load a couple hundred rds of anything it is on the Lee or Forster. The Forster has a lot of nice features, as does the Lee. The Dillon, when it works right, is a smooth running, high volume machine. Mine has given me some headaches, though, with the primer feed and primer seating function.

txbonds
04-06-2013, 08:16 AM
I'm already starting to find out things I like and don't like with this restart into reloading. LOL

So far, I'm having a love/hate relationship with the hornady magnum ultrasonic cleaner. It seems to do a pretty good job at getting cases clean but what a pain. It is so loud and makes such a high pitched sound it almost makes me feel ill to be around it while running. Even outside in the garage it's obnoxious. But what I do like is that the grunge is captured in liquid and not floating in the air. I'm thinking I might prefer a SS wet tumbler but not sure. Another nice thing is the hornady can clean a few hundred 223 cases in 20 mins, so I'm not waiting 4 hours on a tumbler or vibratory cleaner to cycle. The other down side I guess is that it doesn't polish the brass, but quite honestly I'm not certain that is a big deal.

I just finished making my first batch of imitation Dillon case lube as well. Pretty neat that it can be made fairly easily. Not sure it's the exact formula, but basically just alcohol and lanolin mixture. Getting close to being ready to start sizing brass so I'll get a chance to try it soon.

Regarding the press questions I guess the more I read the more overwhelmed I feel. My head just keeps telling me that a simple single stage with the charge master is the way to go but realizing its slow I guess that is where the thought for the turret comes in. Another part of me says to just use the dillon single stage but if I keep taking functions off press then why bother. And another part of me thinks just set up the dillon for 9mm and leave it for just that using single for rifle.

Anyway decisions decisions. I'm finding that just like anything else in the shooting hobby, you have to try a million things sometimes to figure out what you like and what works best for you. It's been an adventure so far and I'm looking forward to getting my bench location finalized so I can get started.

txbonds
04-06-2013, 04:28 PM
After much lamenting and much more reading, I've decided the 550b is staying. My bench is going to be 550b setup for 9mm and the classic cast setup for .223 initially. Once I get comfortable with everything, I'll look to possibly move the .223 over to the 550b as well, but initially I'm trying to keep it simple.

country gent
04-06-2013, 11:18 PM
I have 2 650s on my bench one is modified to use a harrels powder measure for rifle loads. I also have a Bonanza co-ax on the shelf. Its is much easier to take to the range to work up loads. and some things are easier done in a single stage press rather than the progressive, Ie pulling bullets, swaging primer pockets, reforming brass, putting together test loads, using a push thru sizer, ect ect. When Im working up a load I go to the range with a press, powder measure, scales, seating die, calipers and primed cases. I can then load each step shoot and go from there. I do the Audette ladder work up alot. .2 grn increments 1 round and shoot from starting to max all on the same target. Look for clusters of shots and test at mid points of the clusters. The single stage press can be seved by many diffrent presses all have their advantages disadvantages. With the co ax in the milk crate I use to carry everything it got pretty heavy. Nice thing with the Co-Ax is the universal shell holder that only misses a few cases. I have used lee c frame, rock chucker Lyman orange crusher Co Ax as my single stage press with good results.

DaveInFloweryBranchGA
04-06-2013, 11:33 PM
Don't over think things too much. From where you are now and what you own, I suggest you go ahead and start setting up the press you have on hand for a single caliber, with a pistol caliber being the easiest to learn. If that press is the 550, I suggest it's a caliber you'll be loading a lot of. Go slow, be patient and take the time to learn to set up the press and the dies to work together. Ask a lot of questions in this forum. You're lucky this forum is perhaps the most knowledgeable group of reloaders on the net these days and about the only place I ask most of my reloading questions.

As far as the single stage goes, since you've ordered the Lee, I'd suggest adding the Hornady LnL bushing upgrade to speed up die changes. Makes swapping dies incredibly fast and convenient on a single stage that accepts the bushing, which the Lee does.

When the Lee comes in, set it up in a rifle caliber and learn to reload quality rifle cartridges on a single stage. That way, when the time comes to set up your progressive to reload a lot of a rifle caliber, you'll know how you want to build your rifle cartridges for premium quality.

Reloading can be a revolution or an evolution as an experience. For me, it was an evolution, with the quality of my cartridges getting better and better, even the higher volume ones. With that said, I still prefer to talk with other reloaders when adding or upgrading another cartridge to a higher level to get the best performance.

Dave

txbonds
04-07-2013, 09:36 PM
Getting closer. Spent the day getting one of my work benches to fit into a closet in a spare bedroom that is being turned I to an office. This is the 72"x24" workbench from SAMs Club. I have a few of them in the garage and they are a nice, heavy weight option for the price. Its hard to see but I had to cut a few inches off each front corner to get it to fit, but it works nicely as long as the presses are on stands and not mounted on bench front since the door just closes as is.

This will allow me to close the doors and hide the mess when I'm not working at the bench. I need to look at some shelves and a few other storage features but it's a start.

Need to decide where to bolt the 550b. Also need to decide if I want to have the Lee Classic Cast to be mounted beside it or if I want to have one mount location and switch back and forth. I'm thinking side by side.

Case prep and cleaning station will remain in the garage. And I will have a roll out cabinet under the reload bench that will serve as additional work space for scales and other functions as I'll roll it out beside the closet while I work.

armedmoose
04-09-2013, 03:03 PM
Just to throw a curve ball... the new RCBS Summit Press appeals to me with it's bench top mounting design. It would further the possibilities of loading at the rifle range during load development or C-Clamp to the kitchen table of a friends house who is interested in reloading to show them the steps and create a few rounds.
http://accurateshooter.net/Blog/summitpress01op.png

NineInchNails
04-09-2013, 03:31 PM
I have one of the Lee Breech Lock Challenger Presses (http://www.midwayusa.com/product/176078/lee-challenger-breech-lock-single-stage-press) and it has worked out great for me so far. I like that it catches the primers and it appears to be very solid. I have a rock solid all steel reloading bench so there's absolutely no flex to the bench at all. The ONLY thing that flexes with this press is the handle itself. Nothing wiggles or moves at all. I made the mistake of ordering a set of Hornady Lock-N-Load Press and Die Conversion Bushing Kits (http://www.midwayusa.com/product/858110/hornady-lock-n-load-press-and-die-conversion-bushing-kit), but they will NOT work with my press. I ended up just using the Lee Breech Lock bushings and they do work very well.

I also have a Lee Classic Turret Press and it seems to run like a dream for the pistol rounds that I've loaded (38 special & 357 magnum). It goes pretty darn fast.

txbonds
04-09-2013, 03:36 PM
LOL

No more curve balls. I lamented over the dillon 550b until I finally gave in and decided to go with it versus a turret or the hornady LNL progressive. I lamented over the single stage press decision between the redding big boss 2, the forster coax and the lee classic cast and finally gave in and went with the lee classic cast.

My decisions were made based on reading and assumptions, and not use yet, so they are subjective, but here they go:

> 550B due to the millions of positive reviews, the versatility and the relative simplicity of it. It will give me the ability to load 9mm quickly once I get it setup, but can still be used as single stage or multiple stage with different heads. I'm still wondering if the hornady LNL would have been better, or even a turret, but I think I made the right choice here with the 550.

> The Lee Classic Cast, which arrived today by the way, due to the fact that I wanted a strong cast steel/iron press that could handle most any size rifle round. I wanted the versatility of a single stage to pair with the 550 for a multitude of uses, but wanted to make sure I didn't need to trade up if I get a larger caliber one day. I ended up finally ruling the Redding Big Boss 2 out because it looks as though the linkage is only supported from one side on the press and people have bent that linkage during hard use. I finally ruled out the forster co-ax due to not only price, but also due to reading that it couldn't pull bullets. Don't know if that's true, but it was something I wanted my single press to do for rifle rounds. I picked up the hornady LNL bushing kit for the press, and figured I could put the dillon 550 handle on it if I ever wanted a stronger handle.

So, there you have it. My reasons based on nothing more than lots of reading till my head hurt. Will be fun to see if I still agree after using them both for a while. :)

Just need to get ahold of the Rockdock guy to see about possibly getting some mounting plate setups for them and I can get started. I'm thinking about putting a rockdock or similar mount on the left side of the bench for the lee press, and on top of the rolling cart, and then I can swap tools and presses back and forth on them and remove when I need to close my closet. The dillon will most likely stay on the stand it is on I think and bolt directly to the bench, but we will see as it may eventually wind up on at rockdock style mount also.

Also, if anyone needs one, I found a terrific deal on a Brother PT-H100 label maker at Office Depot today. They were marked down from something like $35 - $40 range to only $10. Picked one up so I could label my boxes as I go. Doesn't hook to the computer but has keyboard and screen for quick entry. Anyway, thought it was a good deal and hopefully someone sees this and needs one too. :)