PDA

View Full Version : Just Polished the Trigger on Rock Island 1911

Red Sky
04-02-2013, 07:44 PM
Well, I've been wanting a good carry gun for some time now. I used to own a Glock 19, and between that and my RI 1911a1 (GI) I was usually prepared. I have since sold the Glock, and I've never had a great deal of confidence in the 1911 (love the platform, just couldn't afford a higher end one at the time). My only other handgun now is a XDm 5.25 set up for competition, so I needed something to carry. Lacking the funds currently (damn the college budget!) to buy something new, I decided it was time to revisit my much loved but not taken seriously 1911.

Part of the problem is the trigger. It's not awful by any means, but certainly not very good for a 1911. It has some creep, and what's worse, the creep feels gritty. So I decided I would take a bottle of polishing compound I saw sitting on the shelf, the 1911, and combine their powers to make something awesome. After a complete dis-assembly I rubbed the compound all over the mating surfaces of metal in the trigger group, and put it back together. I went ahead and hand polished the trigger connector since it's large, flat, and easy to work with once it's out. Once together with copious amounts of polishing compound on everything, I dry fired it. A lot. Took it apart, replaced compound with oil, put back together - could not believe the difference!

A once ~6lb trigger with creep and grit was reduced to what is probably around 3-3.5lbs, with no creep and no grit. The gun has never once jammed or failed to fire for any reason in the 2 years that I've owned it, is plenty accurate (touching holes at 25 yards possible, though I usually jerk at least 1-2 shots out of a magazine away and still hit a little left due to being left eye / right hand...), and now has a trigger that would make a Kimber or Springfield jealous.

I'm now in the market for a good holster (the one I have is cheap and results in more pain than any other function provided). After that, throw in a couple more ACT mags (gun shipped with one new and seems to like them - the Wilson 47Ds don't like to lock the slide), some good ammo, and the IWB dual mag pouch that I already have and I think I'm going to feel like I just bought a new gun for 1/10th the price!

Hopefully I can get some pics up of my current rig - no camera with me this week and my phone is a dinosaur that isn't fit to take a picture of a plain white wall.

makicjf
04-03-2013, 09:47 AM
I have 2 ria 1911, an officers model and a full size with ambi safeties- I love them both. I have found , if you are ok with 7 round mags, that the old colt mags work perefectly in them. A little bending/tweaking on the slide lock arm and they function great. Springfeilds cheapo mags work well with the same tweaking. I have taken to carrying the 1911's more and more. I carried a vaquero in 45 acp or a ruger in 45 colt/45 acp most of the time: after runiing several wild bunch matches with the 1911 and never having any real issues ( well i failed to seat a mag well once on a reload and bound the slide- me not the weapon) I have gained enough trust in it to leave the revovlvers at home. The officers model lives in my girlfriends purse in condition 3-- her girls are 5 and 7. Con 3 is the safest place for it to be in case, somehow despite precautions, they get hand s on it.
Cheap, rugged and reliable-- what not to love?!
Jason