PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone used the copperized..........

Ndenway
08-26-2007, 09:10 PM
bullets sold by National bullet co?

http://nationalbullet.com/index.php?name=45_Cal_Bullets 45/70 405FP $45/250, I was thinking of trying them out, just wanted to know who's tried them and what they thought of them.

ETA: well I googled them, I don't need the potential hassle, does anyone know anyplace else that sells the copperized type cast bullets, or GC ones that don't cost near jacketed bullet prices?

Onlymenotu
08-26-2007, 09:51 PM
Umm never used any of they're product or bought anything from them.....goggle them... coustmer service /complaites...... and make ur own choice /desision... good luck

Ndenway
08-26-2007, 11:02 PM
hmmmmm.........looks like they got a quick charge/no delivery problem, thanks for the heads up.

BD
08-27-2007, 07:55 AM
I'm currently limited to practicing at an indoor range which does not allow cast boolits. I've been buying the plated Berrys from graf and sons for about a year. however recent price increases have pushed the Berry's .45 230 gr, RNs to over $100/thousand, delivered. To get a better price I've gone to Rainiers from Midway which currently cost me $179/ two thousand delivered. The plated bullets shoot OK, nothing special, and they require more frequent bore scrubbing than either cast of jacketed. BD

Dale53
08-27-2007, 08:31 AM
I gotta say one thing. I am sure HAPPY that I have my lead supply and bullet moulds. Prices are going out of sight!

Dale53

richbug
08-27-2007, 09:39 AM
Avoid national like the plague.

Their "Plated" bullets are plated with something that resembled Orange spray paint...

Only plated bullet I have ever used that leads, and smokes like I was shooting black powder.

Only plated bullet I ever used that had a lube groove, and lube on it.

Try Berry's, they offered a true plated bullet for the 45-70 reasonably(I guess reasonable is subjective now).

http://www.berrysmfg.com/388.php

Ndenway
08-28-2007, 12:36 AM
hey thanks man, gonna order some of the berry's and test'm out.

Ndenway
08-28-2007, 12:47 AM
I gotta say one thing. I am sure HAPPY that I have my lead supply and bullet moulds. Prices are going out of sight!

Dale53

I cast for my pistols when I got a chance and can get WW, here lately everybody in my area is snapping up everything the tire shops got,

next time I order from midway I'll get a 45/70 405 mold,

I bought 500 405gr .459 single lube groove plain base bullets from a local shop for $10.80/100, but they lead like mad at 1500fps,

I've ended up coating some of them in LLA to see if that helps and I bought some of the johnson's paste wax to test on some, hopefully this will help a bit,

and I also just wanted to try out the plated/copperized one to see how well they work.

corvette8n
08-31-2007, 12:00 PM
You should get the .460 420gr mold from Ranch Dog, it is a GC tumble lube design, I cast up a bunch but have not gotten around to loading them yet, I have a 45-70 Marlin.

Ndenway
09-02-2007, 09:53 PM
You should get the .460 420gr mold from Ranch Dog, it is a GC tumble lube design, I cast up a bunch but have not gotten around to loading them yet, I have a 45-70 Marlin.

hey man, thanks for the info, looks like I'll be ordering one of those too,

I ordered the HB 405gr, and double cavity plain base 405gr lee last wednsday from midway and got them friday and casted a couple hundred usable HB ones today,

the HB cast great, the plain base not so well,

through a bit of trial and error I've found that I have to cool the HB every other bullet on a damp sponge, if I don't it gets too hot and the bullets come out of the mould into the waterbucket soft;

I didn't notice this till I cast about fifty and took a look at them, ended up rejecting approx half of them, the rejects when set on the base were crooked/leaning and/or had cracks,

when I noticed this I started cooling the mould, I never had this issue with lighter bullets,

after that, all that I casted came out great, got them sized, lubed and drying right now,

the plain base mould is something else, I messed around with it for about an hour and a half, never did get a decent bullet outta it, I cleaned and carboned up the mould surfaces twice, tried dipper pour, putting the sprue right on the drop, off to the side a bit and even turned the heat up high, and pre heated the mould for 5 minutes,

nothing worked, bullets still have large wrinkles on them, I'll mess around with it later, for now I'm satisfied with the HB's.

ETA: I never did order the berry's plated, I was going to until I seen the price, $95/500 delivered was a bit more than I want to spend on them, the remington jacketed 300 and 400 grainers could be had for a few bucks more.

Sundogg1911
09-02-2007, 11:14 PM
are we talking about plated boolits? My Wife's 9mm carbine leads up terribly with cast no matter what I do. I ended up getting 2000 9mm plated boolits for Her and they cure the leading issue and they were pretty cheap (I got 'em for $15 per 500 because we bought so many at the time. i think we had 20,000 between me and some range buds) I still was loading them pretty light. I really liked them, but only if I can't use my own cast.

jameslovesjammie
09-12-2007, 05:17 PM
I have used berrys and rainier 125's in .357 cal. They worked great in .38's, but in .357 if they were pushed past 1200 they would foul the barrel.

hunterldh
09-16-2007, 03:12 PM
They work fine and haven't found any duds of my batch. - Hunter

lathesmith
09-19-2007, 10:25 AM
I can speak from personal experience that National Bullet Co. charges your credit card first and....ships....later....much later....maybe never. 90 days after an order I placed with them they quit answering emails, but the nice people at VISA fixed the problem for me. I could say more, but you get the idea. I don't like to speak poorly of a company, I am always slow to do so, giving them every chance to make things right. In this case, though, the criticsm is well-deserved. Bottom line: avoid these guys, period.

BD
09-19-2007, 12:28 PM
The least expensive plated .45s I've found lately is to buy Rainiers 2,000 at a time from Midway.
BD