PDA

View Full Version : Reloading .44 Mag for rifle - questions

jeff423
04-02-2013, 05:30 PM
I've reloaded .44 mag. for pistols for years. I want to start reloading for a Ruger 77/44. I realize the recipes will be different but are there other things I should be aware of that would be different for a bolt action rifle?:

COL
Crimp
case length
resizing

Thanks,

Jeff

dbosman
04-02-2013, 05:45 PM
My theory for my Ruger rifle is to use the same load I'd use in a pistol. It shoots more accurately in the rifle though.
That might have something to do with the shooter being able to sit down. ;-)

W.R.Buchanan
04-02-2013, 11:24 PM
Same loads as the pistol rounds, however the Ruger rifle will not allow longer boolits to feed from the magazine, but you can still single load them.

There are many boolits that will work just fine. They are supposedly limited to 1.610 OAL however I think you may find you can stretch that out to 1.650 and still be able to get the cartridge in the magazine.

There is a good article in Rifle magazine #263 July of 2012 by Brian Pearce, that explians all there is to know about those guns, and what works in them.

Randy

04-03-2013, 07:44 AM
Pay attention to bore size differences. Handguns can have nominal .429 + measurements and rifles frequently go up to .430 +++ and up.

Larry Gibson
04-04-2013, 03:49 PM
I've reloaded .44 mag. for pistols for years. I want to start reloading for a Ruger 77/44. I realize the recipes will be different but are there other things I should be aware of that would be different for a bolt action rifle?:

COL
Crimp
case length
resizing

Thanks,

Jeff

If loading the same ammo for both revolver and the rifle use standard loading technique for the 44 Magnum cartridge for both. The COL will be determined by the bullets crimp groove and whether the loaded cartridge will seat in the magazine and feed in the 77/44. You just then use that COL in the revolver also.

Many times full magnum level loads for the revolver do not shoot accurately in the rifle unless GC'd cast bullets are used. PB's cast bullet loads should be developed for accuracy in the rifle (staying within published handgun data) and then just accepted for use in the revolver. Most often those loads will also be quite accurate in the revolver although not up to full magnum level performance. Point is with magnum level loads using a PB'd cast many times a compramise has to be made for the rifle or the revolver.

Larry Gibson

Nose Dive
04-09-2013, 08:52 PM
Jeff423...heck bubba.....'ket oun wid et"!!! In a good modern rifle...MAX IT OUT... My rifle same as my pistol is boring to me. But to each his own. I lengthen OAL...Beef up the lead...MAX OUT the powder with a mag primer and start wippin out the milk jugs. I like a big, flat and wide meplat and find the biggest in the drawer I can. So,,,there is my opinion.

Nose Dive.

Cheap, Fast, Good. Kindly pick two.

lovedogs
04-24-2013, 08:31 PM
I use a Saeco 250 gr. #431 FNGC (#2 Alloy) in three pistols and a Marlin 1894 Cowboy with either Alliant 2400 or H110 and it works well in all of them. This bullet was designed to feed well in Marlins (44 mag and 444's) and it does just that. It feeds well and shoots well in all four of my .44's.