PDA

View Full Version : Any Hobart food service equipment Gurus out there?

BD
04-02-2013, 05:27 PM
This has nothing to do with Boolits, but it's not political, or humorous, so I'm trying here first. Happy to have the mods move it if need be.
My daughter has a food business and was recently gifted an old Hobart A-200 20 quart mixer, (something she really needs). I plugged it in and it ran like it needed brushes, so I pulled the back off, and the "Split back" fell apart in my hands. This is an iron casting that holds the brushes and supports the rear motor bearing. This mixer is from the 1950s and Hobart doesn't make the part anymore. What I'm hoping is that someone knows of a Hobart "junkyard" where I could buy the part, or a "parts" machine. My other question would be how to repair a relatively thin iron casting, (3/16")? There is evidence of rust and paint in the cracks, so I'm thinking it has been breaking down over time. If it was steel I'd take a shot at having it welded. A new mixer is $1,000 to 3,000, so it worth a couple hundred to me for a repair. Anyone?
BD

blademasterii
04-02-2013, 05:47 PM
Cast can be welded with tig, but your best bet is to braze it back together. You will need to get it all nice and hot, make sure the crack is cleaned out really well, grove the crack top and bottom to give some fill area for the braze. As soon as you finish the weld bury the whole thing in a large pile of sand. The sand will act as an insulator and allow the cast to cool more slowly reducing the risk of cracking. Gently grind away as needed and you should be good to go.

Guesser
04-02-2013, 05:49 PM
Iron casting? Try a foundry in your area, most are small locally owned businesses. I know of 3 in Eastern Idaho alone. Also, talk to a full service hydraulic repair shop, one that does plating as well. Yellow Pages and a telephone.
I worked on Hobart galley equipment on navy ships 40-50 years ago, can't remember diddly, except they worked well, mostly.

BD
04-02-2013, 05:54 PM
I'm a little nervous to clean the pieces as they need to fit together exactly to properly align the bearing support, This needs to be centered accurately and absolutely concentric. As is, I can align the bits, I'm afraid that anything I do to clean up the broken edges will make the alignment very difficult. Anyone an "expert" at this?

blademasterii
04-02-2013, 06:58 PM
I just meant degrease and wire brush to remove any contamination. Not grind them.