PDA

View Full Version : What is your maximum OAL on your glock .40?

smokesahoy
04-02-2013, 03:22 PM
I've been playing around with numbers reliability trying to tweak the .40 every which way I can, and the latest thing is stretching that length as much as I can without becoming too long for the magazine, which limits the experiment way before the chamber would.

The idea is to use the biggest hole possible to fit the most of the slowest powder i can find in there.

So far my maximum in a glock 23 is a 1.16 OAL, while maintaining reliable mag function.

They should all be the same, but I was wondering has anyone else gone down this road? What did you come up with?

Bwana
04-02-2013, 03:40 PM
Of course that would depend on the bullet/boolit you use. I have not used it in my 40 yet; but, I am impressed with Longshot powder. That would be my first choice for "tweaking" the 40 S&W.

smokesahoy
04-02-2013, 03:44 PM
how do you mean? the C-oal takes into account the b-oal or am i misunderstanding what you said?

the gains are tiny though, each 1/100th might result in ~10fps, i'm bored as you can tell and having fun doing this for its own sake.

Bwana
04-02-2013, 05:25 PM
Just because a bullet is shorter doesn't mean that it can be seated out further and work in the gun. There is more than mag space to account for there is also feeding and in some instances where you could fit the round in the mag and chamber from the mag and yet not be able to eject the unfired round because it is to long for the ejection port. Handloading is a balancing act with many factors. For those of us who are able to deal with, and like, minutia it is a never ending source of amazement. For others it can be befuddling, with most falling somewhere in between. Reading with understanding and research play a major role in deciding on which spot on the spectrum you fall at any given point in time.