PDA

View Full Version : Need recipe, red beans and rice

redneckdan
04-02-2013, 02:20 PM
Anyone have a good recipe for red beans and rice? I have a ham bone in the fridge that needs using. Preferably something with good flavor but not too much heat. Jen doesn't like heat.

Thanks

Dan

gbrown
04-02-2013, 04:37 PM
We use Navy beans or Pinto beans. Red beans would work well also. Most bean recipes call for soaking the beans overnight. We never do. Its really simple--about 2 quarts of water, 1# of beans, some onions and garlic and then salt and pepper to taste. Add hambone and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and let simmer for a couple of hours until beans are soft as you like. Serve in a bowl over rice. For extra richness, use chicken broth instead of water or use 1 quart water-1 quart chicken broth. If using broth, go slow on salt. Serve with greens (doesn't matter type) and corn bread. If you want to make more of a bean soup, add more water at the beginning, not the end. Always can add sausage or bacon for more flavors.

wch
04-02-2013, 04:42 PM
This one's from a cookbook titled "La Bouche Creole" by Leon E. Soniat, Jr.:
1 lb dried red beans
2 Qts water
1 meaty hambone or thickly sliced raw ham, cubed
1 lb hot sausage
2 cups chopped onions
1 bunch green onions, chopped
1 bell pepper, chopped
2 stalks celery, chopped
4 bay leaves
pinch of ground thyme
Tabasco to taste
salt and pepper to taste

"Rinse the red beans and pick out any bad ones. Cover with water and set on a medium heat. Add the hambone and sausage. As this cooks, add the onions, bell pepper, green onions, celery, and seasonings. Lower the heat to a simmer after the beans come to a boil; simmer for several hours.
Use a wooden spoon to mash a quantity of the beans on the side of the pot. This will produce a creamy smoothness characteristic of Creole red beans. After about 4 hours, they will be ready to serve over rice."

That said, when in a time bind I have been known to use a large can of light red kidney beans in place of the dried ones; this will cut preparation time by at least two hours. (Don't tell my Momma!)

jroc
04-03-2013, 07:35 AM
Sometimes when we make beans and rice we use pickled pork instead of ham. It gives it a different taste and a little variation. Heres a link for pickled pork recipe:
http://www.alliedkenco.com/pdf/pickled%20meat.pdf

gwpercle
04-03-2013, 02:16 PM
If you can , use Camellia brand red beans...it does make for a better pot of beans. This is the way we make them in Louisiana, usually on monday night, tradition that goes back to Monday being wash day and red beans don't require a lot of attention.

CAMELLIA BRAND RED BEANS AND RICE
1 lb Camelia dried red kidney beans
1/2 lb. smoked pork sausage
4 to 5 cups water
1 ham bone with a little meat attached and/or 2 cups leftover ham pieces
1 chopped onion
1 clove garlic, chopped
2 tablespoons chopped celery
2 tablespoons chopped bellpepper
1 bay leaf
salt and pepper to taste

1.Rinse and sort beans
2.Brown sausage in heavy bottom pot. If sausage is lean add 1 tablespoon oil.
3.Saute in pot ,with sausage and drippings, onion, garlic, celery and bellpper till soft and clear
4.add to pot , ham bone , ham pieces, red beans ,water, salt and pepper
5. bring to a boil, simmer gently stirring occasionally for about 1 1/2 hours, or untill tender. Add water while cooking if necessary.
6.Serve over white rice.

Gary
Dan, as you can see there is nothing hot/spicy in this recipe but it is a good one, taken right off the side of the Camellia package. Its the recipe I use and it are good eating.

TXGunNut
04-09-2013, 10:24 PM
I'll sort & soak a pound of pintos overnite, drain and add 2 cans of beef or chicken broth and a can a Rotel-mild in this case. I'll start them in a crock pot after I get the coffee going on a weekend morning and long about suppertime I'll bake some cornbread and steam some rice. If I have a ham bone I'll pay tribute to my old friend James and use butter beans instead of pintos.

LIMPINGJ
04-12-2013, 10:43 AM
If you have a mexican grocery near you pick up a sack of Frijol Peruano beans. The family likes the taste better than Pintos plus they cook a little faster.

drinks
04-12-2013, 05:16 PM
Just remember the foundation of cajun and mexican cooking, onion and peppers, chopped and sauted, the start of just about everything except ice cream!

TXGunNut
04-12-2013, 10:35 PM
Behold the trinity of southern cooking: peppers, onions and garlic.

Buzz64
04-12-2013, 10:54 PM
you'll never get there without the liquid smoke.

wch
04-12-2013, 11:46 PM
Sometimes when we make beans and rice we use pickled pork instead of ham. It gives it a different taste and a little variation. Heres a link for pickled pork recipe:
http://www.alliedkenco.com/pdf/pickled%20meat.pdf

I used one of the pickled pork recipes from Kenco-delicious and easy to do.

TXGunNut
04-13-2013, 12:54 PM
you'll never get there without the liquid smoke.

Must be a matter of taste. I keep some around but don't use it often. Need to use it more, I guess. Mebbe in the next pot.