PDA

View Full Version : Acceptable replacement for red'n'tacky#2??

Spawn-Inc
04-02-2013, 11:27 AM
I was picking up some pulleys for work and noticed they had a blue grease for pillow block bearings and electric motors. I like the blue colour of it and want to swap it for a batch of Ben's red lube.

Here is the msds for it.
http://www.timken.com/en-us/products/lubrication/Documents/Spec_Sheets/timken_ball_bearing_pillow_block_grease_eng.pdf

Thanks!

EDIT: see post 12!

runfiverun
04-02-2013, 12:22 PM
spawn i'd study up on that poly urea part a little bit.
it has a stickiness that is well umm sometimes kinda, it is hard to get off things.

felix
04-02-2013, 12:36 PM
It turns hard with the application of too much heat and it becomes a solid "bearing". Problem is that the solid bearing created is almost never as "round" as it should be. Therefore, pay attention to what Lamar said. ... felix

Spawn-Inc
04-02-2013, 12:59 PM
Good points. I will try heating some up on a sheet of metal and see how it reacts to heat.

geargnasher
04-02-2013, 01:54 PM
Mystic JT6 red lithium complex. Same basic stuff.

Gear

Spawn-Inc
04-02-2013, 02:00 PM
I can get red'n'tacky no problem but I am just trying to mess around as well i would like blue lube.

357maximum
04-02-2013, 04:03 PM
If you put enough (2 blocks) blue candle dye into Ben's Red it will look sorta purple in block form, but will look mostly sorta kinda blue once it is on your boolits. A small adjustment to the oil content may be required, but I doubt it.

Standard lithi-bee (using (cheap) simple brown lithium grease) looks like a dark creme when cold, but enough blue dye will do the trick there also...without all the "drama" that complex and urea based greases can bring about in the cold. Seeing as you live in Ontario I do not see you needing the "hubs of hell" lubes anyway and you might just be better served by the simpler recipe. I make my standard MML purple.... as purple is a color that is alot easier to achieve with the MML recipe. Blue is quite easy with the ingredients of MML, but purple is just that much easier. Purple is easier than blue in alot of recipes now that I think about it a bit.

Good luck and enjoy the alchemy,
Mike

Marlin Junky
04-02-2013, 05:05 PM
I can get red'n'tacky no problem but I am just trying to mess around as well i would like blue lube.

Not sure if you know, or if this point has been address already; however, candle dyes won't withstand a lot of heat. In other words, they all end up brown if you add them to a very hot solution.

MJ

runfiverun
04-02-2013, 05:40 PM
you know ben has a blue recipe too right?
it predates his red.
but if you look where he lives you can see why that is an unacceptable color.

chevron makes a blue grease also.

Spawn-Inc
04-02-2013, 05:47 PM
thanks for all the great replies guys! i may try to make up a small batch later on, but i think i will just attempt making ben's red purple or blue.

i did see his post regarding bens blue, but i was at the suppliers and only thought of trying it out.

and thanks for the tip marlin junky, i will keep that in mind if i can find the stuff.

geargnasher
04-02-2013, 07:31 PM
I think Shell makes a blue grease too, but it might be marine grease, which is not the best for lube due to calcium content.

Gear

Spawn-Inc
04-15-2013, 08:20 PM
okay, i was at princess auto and noticed some blue grease that is lithium complex based,

here is the MSDS Nemco Blue Max Click here (http://www.nemco.mb.ca/userfiles/MSDS/2011Oct/Grease/msds_NemcoBlueMaxEP2Grease.pdf)

and here is a general fact sheet on it, http://www.nemco.mb.ca/userfiles/PDS/2011Oct/Grease/techsheet_NemcoBlueMaxEPGrease.pdf

i have NLGI 2

Jailer
04-15-2013, 08:32 PM
Valvoline grease used to be blue but I haven't bought any in a while.

dg31872
04-28-2013, 09:34 AM
Gear, are you saying that Mystic JT6 red is the same as Red' NTacky?

nanuk
04-28-2013, 08:53 PM
Spawn-Inc

I can get it here in Sask.... CdnTire, or PeaveyMart... can't remember which.

Can't remember if our PA has it...

do you have a CT, or a PM?

runfiverun
04-28-2013, 11:49 PM
dg.
the base ingredients are the same right down to the anti-oxidants.
the proportions may be off a percent here and there, but probably more due to feedstock from suppliers other than from the 'recipe's' design.

Spawn-Inc
04-30-2013, 02:28 PM
Spawn-Inc

I can get it here in Sask.... CdnTire, or PeaveyMart... can't remember which.

Can't remember if our PA has it...

do you have a CT, or a PM?

Get which? I can and did get Lucas red'n'tacky already. I made up a batch but I also wanted some blue lube too

I made up a second batch of bens red but with the blue grease I got from princess auto. It turned green because of the yellow in the beeswax. Ohwell.

Calpoly93
05-08-2013, 11:50 PM
I've got a tube of Royal Purple grease, has anyone tried that?