PDA

View Full Version : Shot my new 32 special yesterday

Nobade
04-02-2013, 08:09 AM
Recently I picked up a Marlin 336-A, made in 1952. Rough on the outside, perfect bore. Just the way I like 'em.

I don't have a mould for it so I tried some SAECO 305s, and they engrave slightly in the bore. They are .314" so I figure the bore is .313" since a .312" boolit falls through. I patched the 305's with 15# green bar printer paper, and loaded a series of them. 4 out of 5 worked very well.
First was a compressed load of IMR3031 (37.5gr.), then 30 gr. 3031 + .5cc COW filler. Then a full load of WW760, then a duplex load of .5cc IMR4227 + 30gr. WC860 and last 1.6cc VV 10B101 + dacron fluff.

The 10B101 load was a failure. Too much pressure too fast, fliers all over. The rest worked great. The full 3031 load was of course the fastest, giving full power ballistics and very good accuracy. The fillered 3031 load was just as accurate but less powerful. No need for that one. The 760 was about the same, powder is a little slow. Gotta try some 748 when I can get it. And the duplexed 860 load was a bit less powerful but probably the best for accuracy. Less recoil and blast made it easier to shoot and it punched out some tiny groups. Nice to know that slow BMG powder will work in this small case with the kicker charge. Nothing was over 2 MOA except for the 10B101 loads. Point of impact was different by nearly 14 inches at 100 yards, so that tells me there is a pretty wide velocity variation. Didn't have the chronograph handy to make sure.

Mainly now I know the 32 spl works fine with paper patched boolits, I need to decide on how fast I want to go and put the right sights in for that load so it will zero, and this is going to be a boring rifle since nearly everything I tried the first time out shot better than I can see with the iron sights anyway. It just kept punching out little groups - where is the fun in that?

Now I need to get an actual 32 spl. boolit mould with a plain base and generous lube grooves so I can see how it does with black powder. Probably need yet another front sight for that too.

-Nobade

Sensai
04-02-2013, 08:27 AM
Sounds like a fun day with the new 32 Spl. I, personally, don't load duplex loads; but if they work for you that's great. Sounds like the PP 305s work well.

Guesser
04-02-2013, 09:34 AM
Very interesting!! I have a 336A from 1949. My bore slugs at a snug .320, I can use .321 cast, both light and heavy for caliber quite well. Had never considered patching a smaller bullet. Have to give the concept some thought. Thanks.

Nobade
04-03-2013, 08:55 PM
Yep, if you find one about .001" bigger than the bore they can be patched to work. A fired case from this rifle accepts a .324" boolit, and these patch up to that size so it's easy. Don't have to resize the cases (good thing since I don't have a die set), just decap/recap, and add powder.

Oh Sensai,
I fully understand your reluctance to use duplex charges of smokeless powder. Most of the time I wouldn't do that either. But I have quite a bit of very slow 50 BMG and 20MM ball powder and by duplex loading it, I can use it in a wide variety of cartridges where it normally would be completely unsuitable. I have tried it in many different calibers over a period of about 15 years and pretty well have a handle on how it behaves. You have to creep up on this kind of stuff. I posted the load here just to let folks know that if they have some of this powder, it can be very useful if used correctly. But do be careful....

-Nobade

izzyjoe
04-03-2013, 10:01 PM
i hope you get it ironed out, you'll love it.

TXGunNut
04-03-2013, 11:03 PM
Sounds great! My 32 is a 94 and I resolved to shoot it with irons only. If your receiver is D&T'd for receiver sights I'd mount a peep there and a Lyman globe sight or a Firesight out front. I like the paper patch idea but I've had good luck with RL7 or Universal pushing the RD boolit. Can't decide whether this rifle is a plinker or a hunting rifle but it's a shooter. Sounds like yours is too!