PDA

View Full Version : Experiment with Berdan Primer removal

dmclark523
04-01-2013, 11:19 PM
I know most of you are sane enough to stay away from the cumbersome process of loading berdan primed ammo, but my curiosity has been piqued and I've been
thinking more seriously about loading up some.
Recently ran into 350 pieces of brass, and, through trial and error, came up with a good solid process of depriming
that does not involve water or mess. I've read some about people trying it but haven't come across any decent videos, so I thought i'd make one.

I've done my homework, and I understand the risk and trials associated, so if you have come to preach about how this is dumb or
not worth it, I'm well aware!

Just finished uploading for friends and interested family, and thought I would share it here as well.
I don't claim to be an expert and obviously this is just my experience...

Drew-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RKuZQIg0FXA

Alvarez Kelly
04-01-2013, 11:40 PM
It looks like a pretty good way to re-use berdan primed brass to me!

lead-1
04-02-2013, 05:42 AM
Looks like it works for you and that's what matters. If you have the time to spare it doesn't matter if it's on the slow side, I have done it with the RCBS tool and even with a punch but I have the time.
Good job salvaging brass that would usually be tossed. Have you found any Berdan primers, I ony have about 300 left from the last three bricks I bought.

Sasquatch-1
04-02-2013, 07:38 AM
Alas, someone whose work bench looks as messy as mine. :shock:

Have you considered making a wooden jig to fit in your vice. Could assure that you don't crush the brass and give it support from the bottom. Probably take less then 15 minutes to make one.

n.h.schmidt
04-02-2013, 08:30 AM
Berdan Primers
To all that may want them . Powder valley Has the Tula KV24N and 7.62nato berdan primers. I think that Graff and sons still has the Tula KV24N (for 7.62 x 39) primers in stock. In fact its all the primers these two places have available to buy. Prices are real good too. A little help with getting the sealed primers to pop with water. Push them in a little deeper first with a primer seater. This breaks the seal and they come out much better. If you can push them in at a angle they come out even easier.
n.h.schmidt

n.h.schmidt
04-02-2013, 08:30 AM
Berdan Primers
To all that may want them . Powder valley Has the Tula KV24N and 7.62nato berdan primers. I think that Graff and sons still has the Tula KV24N (for 7.62 x 39) primers in stock. In fact its all the primers these two places have available to buy. Prices are real good too. A little help with getting the sealed primers to pop with water. Push them in a little deeper first with a primer seater. This breaks the seal and they come out much better. If you can push them in at a angle they come out even easier.
n.h.schmidt

twotoescharlie
04-02-2013, 09:10 AM
I deprime pretty near the same way, except I screw my seating die upside down in my press,drop case in it ,deprime,lift case out.
you could also put the die in a vise with padded jaws if you like.

TTC

uscra112
04-02-2013, 09:50 AM
I enjoy seeing people rediscovering old tech. This has been the traditional way of extracting Berdan primers since before WW2, at least. No need to grind a punch, and ice pick works fine. A dowel in the case to prevent it being driven down into the vise would help.

dmclark523
04-02-2013, 10:10 AM
Thanks for the comments and views everyone. I hadn't even considered a dowel, but that sounds like a really good idea.

And I had made an order a couple weeks ago from Power valley for a brick of KV24N and 7.62NATO Berdan, so I will be waiting a couple
more weeks before I see those...

EDG
04-02-2013, 05:03 PM
DAGAMMO sells Tula Berdan primers. One of their customers on another site indicated they were being resupplied in early April. Dagammos prices include shipping but not the Hazmat label fee.