PDA

View Full Version : help selecting wad and hull

mike_kaleigh
04-01-2013, 08:22 PM
all i have right now are aa hulls and have to use aa red wads to make my .678 round balls to fit with two nitro cards and buffer. and i am having the same problem others had with the aa red wads blowing out[smilie=b:. i have one more load to try before moving on to different parts. i would like to stick with aa hulls but that does not seem like it might be better to go strait wall. I have tons of aa hulls and claybuster aa equilivent pink orange and red wads and nothing else. so what would you guys recommend, i would like to order 100 hulls, (if needed) and a 500 wads to experiment with. i would like to order everything from one place.

littlejack
04-01-2013, 09:38 PM
Hey Mike:
I am doing the R&D thing with the .678 balls myself. I have been using Remington cases. These are tapered cases, as I believe that your Win AA cases are. With that being said, I do not know if you are using the new Win AA cases, or the older cases.
I use the WAA12 white wad, with two .050 card wads to bring the ball up to proper height to fold crimp. I use the 30 grain charge of Herco, that is listed in the Lyman Shotshell Manual. I have no problems with the wads blowing out. Mine are fully intact shooting in a rifled Hastings barrell. The slugged groove size is .727.
What powder, and how much are you using?
Reguards
Jack

dverna
04-03-2013, 08:33 PM
Mike,

If you go to a trap range you will find hundreds of Top Gun hulls for free. This is the least expensive way to get a straight walled hull. I only reload them once because they are free and they have a paper base wad that erodes on firing. With the paper base wad, you need to be sure they have not been on the ground for long or check they are dry. I shoot them in trap so mine never hit the ground.