PDA

View Full Version : Anyone using Lyman 457124 in a Marlin

brstevns
04-01-2013, 08:21 PM
Is anyone using the Lyman 457124 in a Marlin GG? How is it working for you

brstevns
04-02-2013, 09:48 PM
Not a person is using this bullet? Is it safe or not for a tube magazine?

Le Loup Solitaire
04-02-2013, 10:18 PM
This may or may not help. I use this bullet- the 457124 (385-405 grains) in 3 different 45-70 rifles....one of which is an 1886 Win, with a full length tubular mag. The bullet is a round nose and does not pose a threat to the primer of the cartridge loaded before it in the magazine, even when the mag is loaded with 5 or more rounds. My mold is an older one (1970) and drops bullets as cast at .458-.459. I shoot it as-cast. There are several bands to grip the rifling and adequate number of lube grooves. Usual MV for this round is 1200-1300 fps, but in a solid rifle like a Marlin GG, you can go somewhat faster if you want to, but the recoil also goes up. I have loaded 3031, 50-53 grains...a load that I got long ago from the NRA technical staff. It is not a dangerous load, but it is really stout and will floor the biggest game in the western hemisphere as well as the biggest shoulder. A number of powders work well with this bullet, but I have always used 3031 and have been satisfied with it and the accuracy. I cast with straight wheelweight metal, but you may want to experiment with a softer alloy to work with the micro-groove rifling. the gun and the grouping will let you know what is best. The loaded round feeds well in my 86 (my other rifles are single shots), but again you have to experiment with the best OAL for the GG. Also use a good crimp on the finished rounds. Good Shooting. LLS

brstevns
04-03-2013, 09:21 AM
This may or may not help. I use this bullet- the 457124 (385-405 grains) in 3 different 45-70 rifles....one of which is an 1886 Win, with a full length tubular mag. The bullet is a round nose and does not pose a threat to the primer of the cartridge loaded before it in the magazine, even when the mag is loaded with 5 or more rounds. My mold is an older one (1970) and drops bullets as cast at .458-.459. I shoot it as-cast. There are several bands to grip the rifling and adequate number of lube grooves. Usual MV for this round is 1200-1300 fps, but in a solid rifle like a Marlin GG, you can go somewhat faster if you want to, but the recoil also goes up. I have loaded 3031, 50-53 grains...a load that I got long ago from the NRA technical staff. It is not a dangerous load, but it is really stout and will floor the biggest game in the western hemisphere as well as the biggest shoulder. A number of powders work well with this bullet, but I have always used 3031 and have been satisfied with it and the accuracy. I cast with straight wheelweight metal, but you may want to experiment with a softer alloy to work with the micro-groove rifling. the gun and the grouping will let you know what is best. The loaded round feeds well in my 86 (my other rifles are single shots), but again you have to experiment with the best OAL for the GG. Also use a good crimp on the finished rounds. Good Shooting. LLS

Thank you sir. This was of great help. One of my biggest worries was the round nose in a tube magazine.

Case Stuffer
04-03-2013, 09:31 AM
I like to use a bit oc common sense logic on such matters.

Look at Factory Ammo for common tude feed rifles such as 3030 , 35Rem to name a couple. Note that jacketed round soft point /nose_is what the factories load. Reloading manuals which I have read just state to not use spitze (pointed) ammo in tube feed rifles.

My experience would suggest that even if one took a fairly hard cast semi pointed boolit and tried to use it as a firing pin on a primer it would not work and that primer would end up buried in th boolit without firing. Not saying to try it.

brstevns
04-03-2013, 05:30 PM
It seems like I read in one of the older Lyman Loading manuals not to use this bullet in a tube magazine. I was sure others had used it with no problems, but it never hurts to check out such things.