PDA

View Full Version : The only thng wrong about the 625-8 ...

Dale53
08-26-2007, 03:21 PM
This post is directed to 9.3x62Al;
The only thing wrong with the late model S&W's, according to one report, is they just won't shoot:(. Hm-m-m-m! Really?

Today, was the first break in the heat wave for the last thirty days. We have had 23x25 days above 90 degrees with several over the 100 degree mark with humidity registering as high as 94%!! Now, that may be no big deal to our our good people in the Deep South, but it sure is a big deal in SW Ohio. It has been stiffling, to say the least. When it is that hot I tend to stay inside wrapped around the central air:(.

However, today we got some relief and it is only 85 Degrees. I slipped out to the range to try to blow off some cabin fever with the 625-8.

Al,
Here are the results - see the attached photos. Now, I don't want you good people to misconstrue - I am NOT bragging but merely trying to share my joy with my good Cast Boolit friends at my good fortune (both eyes have had the lens replaced and I can still shoot a bit - that is GOOD fortune if I ever heard it).

Oh, by the way, I am shooting up "old stock" and the five round target was composed of two different bullets and three different loads. That suggests that the 625-8 is not terribly ammo sensitive (now, at longer ranges there would have been greater dispersion, but it is interesting, nonetheless.

Al,
You are just going to HAVE to get one of these. You're going to LOVE it. I guarantee it!!:mrgreen:

This is the first time I was able to use the RIMZ clips. They work wonderfully well. No strain, no pain. They just do their job and when it comes time to "de-moon" you just EASILY slip the cases out of the full moon clips with your fingers.:drinks:
I had several steel full moon clips loaded and after I emptied them (shot them) I then used the California Competition Works De-Mooner (the plastic version) and after I had learned how to use it, the cases are easily extracted. Just wanted you to know how both work.

The target with five "X's" only show that I lacked the courage to continue. It is important to know when to stop[smilie=1:. I shot eight targets (75 rounds) standing (had several 100's and the worst, I believe was a 95). All done at 25 yards, standing unsupported, of course on the 25 yard timed fire target.

Dale53

45nut
08-26-2007, 03:38 PM
Nice shootin' 625 Dale. I think those Rimz clips are cool and if I was just starting with a clip fed wheelgun they would get the nod for sure.

Nueces
08-26-2007, 03:48 PM
Yeah, thanks, Dale. I'll add some Rimz to tomorrow's Brownell's order.

Mark

9.3X62AL
08-26-2007, 08:07 PM
Many thanks, Dale! No flies on that ballistic performance, at all. If I can unload one or two of the safe queens in current inventory, a 625 will be enroute.

doyle01
09-03-2007, 10:49 AM
very nice shootin. doyle

JMax
09-08-2007, 12:43 AM
I have had a few S&W 25 and they did not shoot well at 25 Yards. My 625 on the other hand does. There was an article in I believe Handloader where the issure was addressed and the 625 out shot the oldies but not so goodies.

Dale53
09-08-2007, 05:21 PM
The early S&W Model 25's were reported to have large chamber throats that created accuracy problems. I believe that they got that sorted out in later issues (at least I have been told that).

I have also read that S&W barrels lacked precision. That I find very difficult to believe. I have some early S&W's (Model 24 6.5" barrel) and later 624's (4" and 6") as well as a K-38, a 686 Treasury Model 4", and.... well, you get the idea. Everyone of my Smith's shoots extremely well. All of the longer barrels (4" and above) will shoot under an inch at 25 yards. In my book, that is good performance - I take that back, that is EXCELLENT performance! In fact, I have a "J" frame Chief's Special Target (3" barrel with adjustable sights) that I have shot some really good 25 yard targets with. It has to be witnessed to be believed. With all of that said, I am sure that there have been some Smith's that have left the factory with problems (just like every thing else). I guess that I have been one of the fortunate ones but mine have uniformly been good.

My 625-8 is one of several Smith's that I label "user friendly" as they seem so easy to shoot good scores with. I was out to the range with the 625-8 .45 ACP this morning and shot ten targets slow fire on the timed fire 25 yard target at 25 yards. I had three 100's with rather high "X" count. MY worst score was a 96. These guns just flat shoot!

My present goal (that will NOT impress a REAL NRA Bullseye shooter) is to shoot a 100x100 with 10X at 25 yards. I may or may not reach it (my recent best is 8 "X's") but I can assure you I am having LOTS of fun trying.:mrgreen:

Dale53

JMax
09-10-2007, 07:07 PM
I no longer have a 25 only a 625 due to a whole host of issues. Accuracy heads the list but the added advantage of adding a Cylinder & Slide long firing pin allows one to drop the DA pull a bit more for faster shooting in ICORE & pins.

targetshootr
09-10-2007, 07:17 PM
Nothing better than a gun you have confidence in. Today I got out two of my 4" N frames and they are some kind of sweet to shoot.

JMax
09-10-2007, 07:42 PM
I agree, I shot my Thunder Ranch 44 in our annual Retro ICORE club match this last weekend. We had a dueling tree for the 6th stage and I took 3rd out of 12 using HKS speed loaders in the man on man. The other lads were using Comp III's on 6" bbl adjustable sight revolvers. I love shooting my 21, 22 and 625 for fun and pleasure. When I shoot serious ICORE matches I use my 5" 627 PC revolver