PDA

View Full Version : Goex black rifle - FFg

brotherdarrell
04-01-2013, 05:00 PM
First off I need to say I know next to nothing about BPC shooting or loading. I "think" I know a little but for the sake of this post lets assume I know nothing.:!:

I just acquired 5lbs of this powder and want to know if it is suitable for BPC. I got it cheap (free).

That's it.

Thanks

Darrell

John Boy
04-01-2013, 05:52 PM
Darrell - Welcome to Original Gunpowder! Your 5 free pounds of Goex FFG is nearly a $100 bill gift. Yes Goex has been used for BPC since they bought out DuPont back in 1977. They are now owned by Hodgdon.

You didn't mention what caliber(s) you plan to shoot, but maybe this will help in the reloading area ...
http://www.goexpowder.com/load-chart.html

The powder charges are not just for Goex powder - it's for any brand of powder. Hodgdon obtained the charts from Noble Industries in Great Britain who in turn got the data from Curtis's & Harvey's who made some of the best BP ever made

joec
04-01-2013, 06:09 PM
If you mean by BPC, black powder cartridges then, I've loaded it and other FFg powders including GOEX in mine for over 2 years, with it working perfectly. I also suggest that most FFg black powder and substitutes work fine in cartridge rounds as long as no air gaps and compressed a bit.

brotherdarrell
04-01-2013, 06:18 PM
Thanks for the comments and the link.

I would consider it for my 45-70 Ruger #1 and 45 colt BH and Puma. Are these suitable?

Thanks again

Darrell

Don McDowell
04-01-2013, 06:24 PM
It'll work fair in the #1, but will be a tad slow and may foul a bit heavy in the 45 colt guns.

brotherdarrell
04-01-2013, 09:46 PM
Thanks again

Darrell

Grapeshot
04-02-2013, 10:05 AM
I've used it with .45 Colt by using a drop tube and a 2.5cc Lee dipper. I then use a compression die to compress the powder enough to seat a 250 grain Big Lube or Lyman Cowboy RNFP boolit with SPG lube, a good taper or factory crimp. I touch it all off with a CCI 350 Magnum Large Pistol primer. Recoil is stout, but not unmanageable, and out of your '92 it will opturate properly and reduce any blowback.

This works well for me and my firearms, YMMV.

joec
04-02-2013, 10:20 AM
I've never used magnum primers with mine and find it burns good regardless. I also shot black powder in my 45-70 lever rifle using 60 grs or so under a 405 gr L-RNFP bullet. I find it pretty accurate also.

Mike Brooks
04-02-2013, 05:57 PM
Goex works fine. I have used it for 30 years. I now use Swiss and KIK for any competitive target work. Goex Cartridge is a good , but discontinued powder too.

cajun shooter
04-05-2013, 10:07 AM
It will work fine in your 45 COLT and I assume by Puma you are speaking of a 92 lever action as used in SASS matches.
If you intend to shoot them with BP you will need to purchase some liquid Ballistol and mix up a bottle of what is known as Moosemilk. I mix 2 oz with 14 oz of water and shake very well in a good spray bottle. Use it to spray the entire gun down inside and out.
If you are using the guns in a match then anneal your case mouths as it will prevent most of your blowback which leads to the heavy fouling. Later David