PDA

View Full Version : For the want of a handle...

Friends call me Pac
04-01-2013, 03:12 PM
I was going to buy my 1st custom mold today. I've been reading here a lot checking into various threads for casting for my 30.30, 30.06 & .223 rifles. Since I shoot my Rem 700 in .223 the most that is what I had decided to go with first ( NOE 60 gr Saeco clone). I was all set to make my purchase but finding handles doesn't look likely. Dang I was looking forward to casting for my rifle. I have been casting for my .45 a couple of months and feel like I have a grip on the process. My .45 mold is a 2 cavity lee so the handles will not work for the NOE mold. The hunt continues.

Hamish
04-01-2013, 03:23 PM
(ahem)

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?41217-Can-you-top-this-NOPE

@(;^]#>:::

runfiverun
04-01-2013, 03:34 PM
look further down the vendors section for kal tool [red river rick] and talk to him.
I got a set of his very first handles.
so far I have used them on a lyman 4 cavity mold, a noe 4 cavity mold, and right now they are on my rcbs 2 cavity mold.
when I need more handles I will be getting a pair or two of them from him.

Chicken Thief
04-01-2013, 03:42 PM
If you want to cast badly the Lee ones can be used!

mark and drill a hole from the top of the mould halves.
Pop the pin out.
Enlarge the holes in the haldles to fit the screw in the NOE mould.
Fit a small bit of tubing or the like to take up the slag.

Jon
04-01-2013, 03:48 PM
What about modifying some channel locks or vice grips? How's your welding skills?

http://rvbprecision.com/shooting/constant-pressure-mold-handles.html

Friends call me Pac
04-01-2013, 04:38 PM
Hamish I was once that tough but no more.

Runfiverun I'll take a look.

Chicken thief I'll have to check that out. Everything I have read has said to use the 6 cavity handles. I've never owned anything except my lee mold for my .45 so I was going by what i have read

Jon does welding skills include using super glue? If not I may have to toughen up like Hamish. Yee-oww!

Seriously thanks for the ideas.

Friends call me Pac
04-01-2013, 04:49 PM
Jon I checked out the link & that is one heck of an idea. I'm going to ask my friends if any of them weld.

45nut
04-01-2013, 07:05 PM
If you can hang on a bit, I am waiting on a small shipment of RRR handles to arrive.
Coming via canada post and through customs it will probably 2-3 weeks.

Friends call me Pac
04-02-2013, 11:32 AM
Just getting my ducks lined up. Mold is on order, ditto gas checks. Already have powder & primers. Handles are the last piece of the puzzle. Just have to be patient.