PDA

View Full Version : Powder for 38 S&W top break?

mazo kid
04-01-2013, 02:30 PM
I have a couple of 38 S&W top break revolvers in good condition; I would like to load some rounds to fire in them. I have heard it said that these are "black powder only" cartridges, but find that hard to believe as they were made along with solid frame guns in the same caliber. Anyone care to enlighten me? TIA.

Springfield
04-01-2013, 02:38 PM
Solid frames are stronger, for one thing. Also, are these real Smith and Wesson revolvers or just something else chambered for 38 S&W? If you have to shoot Smokeless in them at least use lighter bullets, like 110 grainers, easier on the gun. I have shot smokeless in mine but rarely, like BP better in most everything.

btreanor
04-01-2013, 02:43 PM
I have used my old standby load in these top breaks as well as the even older spur trigger revolvers: use 2.0 grains of Bullseye and a Remington 148 HBWC (they are about .360 in diameter) in a .38 S&W case. Seat the HBWC bullet out (about halfway, if I remember correctly) so that one of the lube grooves can serve as the crimp groove. I've shot hundreds of these without problems in old antiques, but your results may vary, so use this with caution ONLY in firearms that are in good condition.

mazo kid
04-01-2013, 06:24 PM
Thanks for the replies. Yes, the one I really want to shoot is a "lemon squeezer" made about 1896. I guess to be on the really safe side, I should load these up with holy black. I was hoping for some more loads, but the light Bullseye load is doable. I don't have HBWC boolits, but do have some HBSWC boolits cast up.

Nobade
04-01-2013, 07:33 PM
Is your cylinder bored straight through or does it have a throat in it? If straight, I found out in my H&R that I could use 357 mag cases trimmed to be flush with the end of the cylinder, and load it like a C&B gun. Black powder, lubed felt wad, and a soft lead ball. It shot those far better than any bullet load I could come up with (probably needed a heeled bullet.) with no pressure issues. Might be worth trying for you folks that have one made like mine. (I have seen many made both ways.)

-Nobade

tacklebury
04-02-2013, 07:56 PM
38 S&W doesn't need heeled bullets. That's .38 Colt and .38 Colt short as I under stand it. My .38 S&W break top uses 158 gr. Semi-wad cutters just like my .38 and .357 pistols. I use a very light 2.3 gr. Unique as memory serves and a good crimp. Shoots it very accurately. ;) Just remember that if your pistol was made prior to 1905 you should only load it with Black powder as even unique loads can stretch iron frames.

66212 66213 66214

Nobade
04-03-2013, 07:34 AM
That's where I can't tell for sure what cartridge my revolver is designed to fire. I know 38 S&W doesn't use heeled boolits, but the chamber is the right diameter to fit 38 S&W. I thought the 38 Colt was a smaller diameter? If not maybe that's what it's made to be shot with. At any rate my little revolver shoots well with round balls and black powder and poorly with boolits, so that's what I use.

-Nobade