PDA

View Full Version : No more Maryland

largom
04-01-2013, 11:18 AM
I have now left the anti-gun state of Maryland. Just arrived in Tennessee and will be looking to buy a small farm driving distance to Nashville.

Larry

nicholst55
04-01-2013, 11:45 AM
Congratulations! I escaped from the Democratic Peoples Republic of Maryland going on five years ago. I can't tell you how good it is to live in Free America now!

I think you'll like Tennessee.

JIMinPHX
04-01-2013, 11:57 AM
Terry, I see that you are listed as being in Yuma now. I guess that you got out of Casey just in time to avoid the current round of shenanigans. Welcome back to AZ.

RickinTN
04-01-2013, 01:28 PM
Welcome to Tennessee. I think you'll like it here. I've been here all my life. If I can help with any local information give me a shout.
Take care,
Rick

rexherring
04-01-2013, 01:37 PM
Congrats on leaving an East Coast lib-tard state.

Well, if you can take our weather, North Dakota - the free-est state in the Union.

Taylor
04-01-2013, 02:05 PM
Welcome from Clarksville

Jailer
04-01-2013, 02:42 PM
Tennessee is a beautiful state. First choice of where I would move if I were to leave Michigan.

uscra112
04-01-2013, 04:27 PM
Um, from a friend of mine who does live right in Nashville (for work), I wouldn't get too close if'n I had a choice.

Just sayin'

Wish I had the choice over again though - I'd have picked the eastern Tennessee. Used to visit some machine shops in the Bristol / Johnson City area quite often in the '80s, and always wished I didn't have to leave.

Taylor
04-01-2013, 04:31 PM
uscra112---agreed.

Case Stuffer
04-01-2013, 04:33 PM
Welcome from Clarksville
I spent 5 monts living (off base) in Clarksville while serving out my USA hitch in '68 after serving a tour in VN. Great town ,great people and often my wife wished we had stayed there but had family and a job wainting for me in metro Atlanta.

Gliden07
04-01-2013, 05:12 PM
I'm really thinking of moving from the Commi Wealth of Mass to Vreeemont!! I need to finish school and get my HVAV/R lic though so its on the block for at least a year??

1Shirt
04-01-2013, 05:15 PM
Good for you!
1Shirt!

Rafe Covington
04-01-2013, 05:30 PM
I will be down around Rodgersville, TN by July or August, can't wait to get out of the Peoples Republic of Maryland.

Rafe

Smitty's Retired
04-01-2013, 06:50 PM
Congrats largom, and welcome to the south. Tennessee is my second home away from home. Beautiful country, but like everywhere else, need to stay out of the larger cities.

Spring Hill used to be pretty nice and about 20 miles or so out from Nashville. Had a bud that used to live there. But I havn't been through there in about 10 or 15 years now, so can't really say what it's like now. Best wishes and hope you find a place soon and get settled in.

P.K.
04-01-2013, 07:00 PM
I spent 5 monts living (off base) in Clarksville while serving out my USA hitch in '68 after serving a tour in VN. Great town ,great people and often my wife wished we had stayed there but had family and a job wainting for me in metro Atlanta.

45 years makes for ALOT of change, there's a reason it's called "Clarksvegas."

That said welcome to the Volunteer State, and no it's not a law that you have to wear orange. Well outside of Knoxville anyway. I'm still close enough to the KY boarder that I can stay ahead of the unruly mob with pitchforks if I wear Kentucky Blue now and again. :bigsmyl2:

largom
04-01-2013, 07:07 PM
Um, from a friend of mine who does live right in Nashville (for work), I wouldn't get too close if'n I had a choice.

Just sayin'
Wish I had the choice over again though - I'd have picked the eastern Tennessee. Used to visit some machine shops in the Bristol / Johnson City area quite often in the '80s, and always wished I didn't have to leave.

I don't plan on getting too close to any big city. I will be looking at a couple of farms in Smith county tomorrow. I don't plan on farming, just want the land so I can have privacy.

Larry

LUBEDUDE
04-02-2013, 12:38 AM
Congrats!

There sure seems to be a lot of Great folks from TN.

Wise decision.

bob208
04-02-2013, 06:20 AM
i escaped from md. 40 years ago. when i pass through on the way to va. or wv. i feel like a pilgrim in an evil land.

Sasquatch-1
04-02-2013, 07:20 AM
Moved out of the Peoples Republic eight years ago. Unfortunately, my wife still has to work there and takes the train from WV to Gaithersburg four days a week. Also her mother still lives there.

DRNurse1
04-02-2013, 07:47 AM
I can CC legally from my house to my Dad's in Florida except for a 12 mile stretch in-->-->-->MD!

My uncle lives in a small community outside Knoxville: beautiful country an real nice folks.

Good luck in your new home and safe travels.

uscra112
04-02-2013, 09:34 AM
I'm really thinking of moving from the Commi Wealth of Mass to Vreeemont!! I need to finish school and get my HVAV/R lic though so its on the block for at least a year??

In case you hadn't noticed, Vermont is saturated with New Yorkers. All leftists. Been there, done that, burned the T-shirt in disgust.

Phil

p.s. Born in Boston 1945, left Mass in 1977, left New England for the last time in 1993, will never, ever go back. Even New Hampsha is getting saturated with crybaby leftists.

Garpo
04-02-2013, 11:46 AM
Good for you and congrats on a smart move. In these days it is prudent to vote, not only with your wallet but also with your feet.

Gliden07
04-02-2013, 03:53 PM
In case you hadn't noticed, Vermont is saturated with New Yorkers. All leftists. Been there, done that, burned the T-shirt in disgust.

Phil

p.s. Born in Boston 1945, left Mass in 1977, left New England for the last time in 1993, will never, ever go back. Even New Hampsha is getting saturated with crybaby leftists.

Still gotta be better than MASS!!! King Duval is almost as bad as Obummer on gun control issues!! I got my first CC lic in almost 30 years of having a pistol permit in this crummy state even though its my right!! In Vermont all you need for a CC permit is proof of residency. No list of firearms that can't be bought in the state like here; because the manufacturers won't pay the state to destroy 5 of every type of gun they make to get them approved by the Attorney General and deemed "Safe" for public consumption!! Good example: Ruger changed the numbering system of there 22/45 pistol, just the numbering system they have to resubmit 5 new guns for testing all at there expense! Then the state officials wonder why people move away from here!

DLCTEX
04-02-2013, 07:04 PM
Congrats on your successful escape from behind the Iron Curtain.

Houndog
04-02-2013, 09:18 PM
Welcome!!!! I'll only mention a few things to help you along with your relocation
Rule 1:
We don't care how they do things up North! (My sis in law lives in Bowie Md. and works for NSA. I have to remind her of rule #1 every time she comes home!)
Rule 2:
Nascar and Football ARE NOT just sports, they are a religion! Orange and White are the proper dress colors on game day and that old number 3 is still held in reverence come race day! Opening day of fishin and huntin season are almost in the same catagory.
Rule 3:
you don't have to speak like us, but PLEASE try to learn proper Southern English so you can communicate effectively! Youall, all youall and Coke when refering to ANY soft drink should replace phrases like you guys and pop as soon as possible.
Rule 4:
Barbeque, Tater Salad, Cole Slaw, Iced Tea and American Beer is proper table fare for ANY social event! You may substitute Fied Chicken or fried Catfish and still be Ok.

Adhere to these few friendly suggestions and in no time you'll not be that "damn yankee" that just moved into the neighborhood and will just another one of the "good ol boys"

BTW: Welcome to your New home in the FREE (and best)part of the USA!

Blacksmith
04-02-2013, 10:48 PM
As I am posting this the Maryland legislature is in session and is steamrolling the 2nd Amendment rights of it's citizens. The Democrat Libitards are voting en block exactly as instructed by Gov. "OweMally" who has his sights on a run for the White house. I have been following it live and had to take a break, it is not pretty. A lot more gun owners will be moving.

Bullet Caster
04-03-2013, 01:41 AM
Welcome to Tennessee, largom. Now all ya need is a state dog, Blue Tick hound. I've got me one, as evidenced by my avatar. His name is Zeke. My wife and I moved here about 11 years ago from GA. Guess it's time now to move my VA health care to TN, too. Been goin' to Atlanta, and will be switching to Nashville. BC - USMC Sgt. '69-'73; Vietnam '71-'72.

nicholst55
04-03-2013, 10:04 AM
Terry, I see that you are listed as being in Yuma now. I guess that you got out of Casey just in time to avoid the current round of shenanigans. Welcome back to AZ.

Jim - I've been in Yuma for almost a year now. I enjoyed the winter a lot more than the summer, but after six years in the Middle East, even the summer wasn't all that bad. Besides, nobody was shooting at me!

largom
09-19-2013, 08:46 PM
Well, we have now moved into our new home. We bought 56 acres outside of Hartsville in Trousdale county. Put up a new modular home, a 40x60 pole barn and a 24x30 garage. Will be some time before I get my reloading and casting areas finished off. All of my gear is still in storage in Maryland. Will take several trips to get it all here. I was born in West Virginia so Tenn. seams like old times.

Larry

John Allen
09-19-2013, 09:16 PM
My wife and I are thinking of moving in a couple of years ourselves to the Nashville area. Good luck

waynem34
09-19-2013, 09:44 PM
Should be easy to find a nice place in TN.What kinda farm land you looking for?You going to build?Lots of hills in TN.I alwayed liked homes on hill sides with a long view.History fact about Tennessee they furnished more troops to the confederate army than any other state they also contributed more soildiers to the north than any other southern state,Goes to show these people stand and fight.Tread softly.Welcome south.Im not as far south or west but its nice land available ready to be be moved into everywhere.Goodluck

PS Paul
09-19-2013, 10:08 PM
Lucky!!! Hear there is pretty good fishin' in them parts too.......

Good on you!

waynem34
09-19-2013, 10:30 PM
Mississippi river?Tennessee is a big state.Tri states.

MtGun44
09-19-2013, 10:32 PM
With the exception of certain parts of Memphis doing a very good
imitation of Baltimore (as far as crime rate), Tenn is a good state, and
gun friendly. Got to be a big improvement over Maryland.

Bill

Ramar
09-20-2013, 07:38 AM
largom,
Congratulations and good luck with your new life!
Ramar

cbrick
09-20-2013, 07:58 AM
largom, sure is nice to be back in America huh?

Rick

Rick N Bama
09-20-2013, 08:09 AM
I'm not in TN, but I am close enough to be able to say welcome!

Rick

largom
09-20-2013, 08:22 AM
My wife and I are thinking of moving in a couple of years ourselves to the Nashville area. Good luck

Would not get to close to Nashville as it is a lot like Baltimore and other big cities. I'm about 45 miles away and the people are GREAT, very friendly and helpful. The country is beautiful and lots of game and good fishing.

Larry

Finster101
09-20-2013, 08:38 AM
Mississippi river?Tennessee is a big state.Tri states.

Kentucky lake and Lake Barkley are well within driving distance for a day trip. Great crappie and bluegill fishing.

Char-Gar
09-20-2013, 08:54 AM
One of the major branches of my family sojourned in Tennessee a couple of generations on their way from Virginia to Texas. After a time, finish your journey and come all the way to Texas.

27judge
09-20-2013, 09:02 AM
I have been reading the many post on this subject, you fellows are very lucky. Forty years ago I started a seafood business in the Baltimore area , now with 2 retail stores and 2 sons and 2 grandsons in the business its tough to leave. Both my sons operate their workboats from my waterfront home and run my two stores. This type of business cannot be picked up and moved to the hills of WV or Tenn. I will add this I was born and raised in Maryland for the last 75 years I have made my home here. But as you all say its not the Maryland it was 30-40 years ago . The Libs have long ago taken over this state and it has gone downhill ever since . Good luck on your new home in Tenn. I have visited there many times its a beautiful State tks KEN

Blacksmith
09-20-2013, 10:40 AM
Ten more days until those anti gun laws I spoke about in my previous post #26 go into effect. It is bad now but on Oct. 1st it gets much worse. I won't waste your time with the details they will come out in the next round of lawsuits and you can see them as they make their way to the supreme court. We have one case there now just waiting to see if they will hear it (Woollard on needing a reason to get a concealed carry license).

People are lined up waiting to buy handguns, "Assault Rifles", and magazines (over 10 rounds) before the new rules and bans take effect. The governor is selling more guns per capita than the president. Pickings are very slim, my son wanted to buy a 1911 style .45 ACP and could not find one in stock at any FFL doing on time release. He said the gun stores were selling guns, they expected to be delivered to them in the next few days, sight unseen to buyers who finally woke up and wanted to get something before it is to late. Ammo is scarce to non existent as people who have never had a gun are trying to stock up.

If you know anyone even thinking about moving to Maryland tell them DON"T almost every part of the state is within commuting distance of some other state that isn't as bad.

27judge
I hope you got all your handguns purchased, some FFL's will complete the sale in time (8th day release) to beat the HQL if you buy and do paperwork before Midnight of Sept. 23rd. Assault weapons on a "Purchase Order" by Sept. 30 can still be delivered after Oct. 1st when the ban takes effect. You may want to transfer a regulated firearm to your wife or adult children before the deadline so they will be exempt from the training requirement of the new Handgun Qualification License (HQL) they will still have to do the paperwork pay the $50 fee + pay for livescan fingerprints and wait to get the HQL if they want to buy or inherit a handgun. Have you applied for your Maryland Designated Firearms Collector license yet, and joined the Maryland Shooters operation DINO (Democrats In Name Only)?

I will move when certain family problems are resolved.

27judge
09-20-2013, 01:15 PM
Blacksmith yes I have all my guns that I wanted in my hand and I will never buy another one in the state of Md. As a business man I have a Maryland (and a pa) carry permit, which I hope to hold onto. IM told if I were to buy a new handgun I would have to get my fingerprints taken again even tho they have a set on file for my ccp. Just a small example of the md gun laws. My Father and Grandfather are rolling over in their graves as to what this state has come to. And to think this used to be viewed as one of the top waterfowl/small game hunting states in the country. Times sure do change . tks KEN

gnoahhh
09-20-2013, 03:19 PM
Ditto. If it weren't for my position here at the college, and having all my family close by, I would bug out too. It's just too far to commute from PA or VA, although I could move, and commute from D.C.- not. On the other hand I love the environs, the food, the scantily clad women, and I would hate to leave the duck/goose hunting on the Eastern Shore. None of the guns effected by the new law have any appeal to me anyway, but it frost's my goat to see this happen in my state- even though I'm relatively unaffected I don't like the gov't telling me what I can and can't have, period.

We worked hard, and provided incontrovertible evidence of the fallacy of this new law, but the majority of lawmakers representing the population centers here blithely enacted it anyway. The huge voting base of Baltimore city and suburban Maryland mostly don't know a rifle from a shotgun, and it was to them that the politicos were pandering. We shooters/sportsmen are so woefully outnumbered here that we never really stood a chance. But we tried.

My best friend's father was a U.S. Congressman from here, back in the 50's-60's. Many of his campaign ads featured him wearing his hunting duds and holding his favorite duck gun. They weren't props. The clothes made him look like a bum, they were so worn out, and the gun didn't get scratched and rusty from setting in a cabinet. How times have changed.

richhodg66
09-20-2013, 05:55 PM
The sum total of my Maryland experience was nine weeks I spent there at schooling on Fort Meade. Pretty country and they tell me the deer season is very generous, but everybody I met was rude as all get out. I had no desire to stay, but I'd been kind of spoiled by living in small town Kansas and Oklahoma a while where people generally never have met a stranger.

I grew up in S.C., which is a pretty good state, however, I will never live east of the Mississippi again, north or south. I have become a mid westerner through and through and will keep it that way.

MaryB
09-20-2013, 09:39 PM
So far MN gun laws haven't become to stupid. $100 class and $75 fee to CC. Have to get a permit to purchase a handgun or assault rifle. MN has to many hunters and shooters for the dems to shove through any real restrictive legislation.

jaysouth
09-20-2013, 09:40 PM
I have now left the anti-gun state of Maryland. Just arrived in Tennessee and will be looking to buy a small farm driving distance to Nashville.

Larry

You will miss the hardshells (they don't have many here) but you will not miss the grievance politics of PG, Baltimore city and the loony idiot liberals of Montgomery Co. I had to make a choice of where to live in the DC area over 40 years ago and passed on murrilun.

However, I was impressed by the people in Southern murrilyn. They were down to earth hard working folks who liked to hunt, crab, fish and drink, in no particular order. The folks in the Western part are OK too, I hate to think that such good folks are being subjected to the insanity of dimocrap party politics in the population centers.

27judge
09-20-2013, 11:09 PM
That's mds major problem the state is run by Baltimore city and the 4 major counties around it . The rest of the state is full of good hard working people who because of their nrs have little to say about the policies of the state. tks ken

Lead Fred
09-20-2013, 11:26 PM
When you have time, you might want to mosey up to the central Kentuc border to Union City TN
Right across the street from Walmart is the Dixie Gun Works & Museum.

turmech
09-20-2013, 11:55 PM
I consider moving from time to time, but I typically just get mad and figure I’ll just dig in. Three generations ago my family was one of a handful of families that owned nearly the whole zip code. My father tell me the depression ended that.

I am still hoping we get to succeed from MD and create the state of Delmarva (never going to happen but one can dream). I am from the part of the state that the politicians publicly refer to as the outhouse of Maryland. They all want to move here though and then make it just like where they left.

Sasquatch-1
09-21-2013, 06:27 AM
If the Eastern shore area succeeded from Maryland, where would Baltimore and Prince George's county get their money from?

I consider moving from time to time, but I typically just get mad and figure I’ll just dig in. Three generations ago my family was one of a handful of families that owned nearly the whole zip code. My father tell me the depression ended that.

I am still hoping we get to succeed from MD and create the state of Delmarva (never going to happen but one can dream). I am from the part of the state that the politicians publicly refer to as the outhouse of Maryland. They all want to move here though and then make it just like where they left.

Isaac
09-21-2013, 06:50 AM
Richhodge66: Unfortunately very true. I have been a life long Maryland resident and was raised around the Ft. Meade area. Have family still in those parts. 30 years ago, we migrated to western Maryland. In my younger years the Ft Meade vicinity was the country, even with its close proximity to Balto/D.C. I learned to hunt in many of the forested areas and farm fields around the base. No longer. Urban sprawl, Four lane highways, the ever expanding BWI airport have chopped that area (and pretty much all the area between the two cities) up. The growth has produced many out-of towners resulting in commuter communities where folks keep to themselves. The traffic congestion is terrible creating stressed out drivers. My school chums and I used to ride our bicycles to Friendship (BWI) airport to watch the planes take off. No way that could happen today.

Maryland is a beautiful state with much of it farmland, rolling hills and forested mountains to the west. The I-95 corridor determines the politics and contains the most population which is liberal democratic. The Cheasapeake Bay and Eastern Shore are breathtaking.

I recall when Baltimore City Identified itself as "the city of neighborhoods" and celebrated ethnic festivals all summer long i.e. Polish, Italian, German, etc. I don't venture into the city unless I have to. What a shame too. The Inner Harbor area is a beautiful place.

It's very sad to see what has happened to this state. I could/would easily live out my years here. The Mrs. retires in two years. I am into my second career and can take an early out when she retires. We have been doing research and have visited a few states looking for a retirement location. Texas is a possiblity. North Dakota is on the list, but not promissing due to the weather. South Carolina looks good, but, frankly, none of the coastal states have very high appeal due to increasing population. We did visit Johnson City, Tn. and were impressed with the area, However, I've not done very much research regarding how Tennessee treats retiree's.

Non-the-less, Maryland is not in our future.

Thanks,
Isaac

cbrick
09-21-2013, 07:22 AM
That's mds major problem the state is run by Baltimore city and the 4 major counties around it . The rest of the state is full of good hard working people who because of their nrs have little to say about the policies of the state. tks ken

That's the case throughout the country. The majority of California is conservative but the two population centers of San Francisco and Los Angeles dictate Socialism to the rest of the state. Illinois has Chicago and Colorado has Denver/Boulder, the rest of these states have no say and slide down into the sewer kicking and screaming but to no avail.

Rick

nekshot
09-21-2013, 07:41 AM
I am originally from eastern pa. We had a couple farms in pa just north of deep creek lake and out in that area you can forget about the eastern side of the state real fast. I fell on the farm and really messed my back up in 3 areas and now I live in missouri. I still miss the appalachian mountains. I don't miss the traffic and the crowds even though thats what produces better incomes. I do understand the desire to move. Thats what is great about america, you can move if you want to!

Blacksmith
09-21-2013, 10:07 AM
All you marylanders,
Do what ever you can to clog the Maryland State Police License Division with additional paperwork to slow them down and increase the backlog. It will make it look worse for them when the lawsuits are filed the first part of October, can't file until the law goes into effect and someone is effected. Things like more transfer applications, apply for Designated Collector status (it's free), write them a letter and ask for (the nonexistent) Handgun Qualification License forms (they plan on doing it by online application to heck with people with no computer), write and ask questions about the new law, etc. Suck up their resources and put them further behind because a "Right Delayed Is A Right Denied" in the eyes of the court and that is what the lawsuits will be about Rights Denied.

The rest of you can write them and ask questions 'Because you are trying to decide if you should move to Maryland and want to understand the laws."

gnoahhh
09-21-2013, 12:48 PM
I grew up in Western Maryland, and spend as much time there and on the Eastern Shore that I can. Different attitudes, for sure, than in the area I live. I would move over the Bay Bridge, or 90 miles west, but frankly I'm getting too worn out to stomach a commute to where I work here in Annapolis. Unfortunately, there aren't as many money making opportunities out in the 'hinterland' as there are here in the I-95 corridor. So, I bide my time, try to save a bit of money, dream of full retirement and a secluded cabin in W. Maryland, or PA, or WVa. Still, I would miss the saloons downtown and the pretty women they attract, and the chance for an evening sail out of Annapolis harbor into the Bay.

In the meantime, I'll support any movement to stymie these new draconian laws that I can. "Don't give up the ship!"

mtnman31
09-21-2013, 09:22 PM
I had the unfortunate, displeasure of moving to Maryland back in May (military move). I am already counting the days until I can leave. I can no longer carry concealed and unless I go to a private range, I can no longer shoot on public lands. The way I interpret their laws is that an individual can only shoot on public lands when he is in the act of hunting. I may be wrong on that but either way, you can't throw a rock and not hit someone. The area is very dense with people, even in the rural areas. It's not anything like I'm accustomed to when I think of rural areas and public lands.

cbrick is spot on in saying that the population centers of Colorado and California have ruined those states. I spent three years in Colorado and have over ten years in California. The small metro areas set rules for the rather large, rural (mostly conservative) areas of the state, and Maryland is no exception. I live in southern Maryland and so far it appears that, in general, people are conservative and don't typically agree with the laws that come out of the population center (Baltimore). In general, I despise living here and to be honest, I enjoyed living in Southern California a lot more than this place when you factor in Maryland's traffic, humidity and their communist laws.

MtGun44
09-21-2013, 09:30 PM
I wish Maryland would keep their idiots at home.

http://www.wlsam.com/common/page.php?pt=KU+professor+suspended+over+%27repugna nt%27+NRA+Tweet&id=68043

This sorry person says he is "from eastern Maryland". I wish he'd move back home and take
his hateful antigun ideas with him. We don't need that kind of mean spiritedness here
in Kansas. I don't mind disagreeing, but this guy is a hater and just vicious.

I'm going to urge the governor to fire him so he will have the opportunity to move back.

Bill

turmech
09-21-2013, 10:01 PM
mtnman31,
I remember me telling you Maryland would be best avoided in a previous thread about your upcoming change in duty stations. I say you are now seeing what I was meaning. I am not trying to rub salt in wounds or say I told you so, I feel for you and I am sorry you are stuck over there.

Bill,
I would bet the farm that guy is not a native easternshoreman. We are being bought or bred out and I just got word being put on the endangered species list.

largom
09-21-2013, 10:39 PM
I heard that Maryland passed a new tax bill this year that puts a tax on paved driveways [sq. footage] and a tax on the sq. footage on the roofs of all buildings on your property. They also raised the tax on gasoline.

Larry

Blacksmith
09-21-2013, 10:56 PM
I heard that Maryland passed a new tax bill this year that puts a tax on paved driveways [sq. footage] and a tax on the sq. footage on the roofs of all buildings on your property. They also raised the tax on gasoline.

Larry

We call it the RAIN TAX and yes it exists, we also have the FLUSH TAX on toilets, and a whole lot of other taxes, fees, licenses, rules and regulations. This is what you get when the Democratically controlled centers of population get enough low information votes to override the conservative balance of the state

turmech
09-21-2013, 11:27 PM
2013 session of the general Assembly highlights: legalize pot and gay marriage, abolish the death penalty and the 2nd amendment, raise taxes on gas, and build some questionable windmills offshore.

Word is 2014 main goal will be to change the state logo from “The Free State” to “The Fee State”. Rumor is they have the votes and should pass no problem.

starmac
09-21-2013, 11:28 PM
It is a good thing that everybody doesn't think like I do, or it would be pretty unpopulated east of the mississippi. lol Rain tax huh.

Blacksmith
09-21-2013, 11:38 PM
The way I interpret their laws is that an individual can only shoot on public lands when he is in the act of hunting. I may be wrong on that but either way, you can't throw a rock and not hit someone. The area is very dense with people, even in the rural areas. It's not anything like I'm accustomed to when I think of rural areas and public lands.

I live in southern Maryland and so far it appears that, in general, people are conservative and don't typically agree with the laws that come out of the population center (Baltimore). In general, I despise living here and to be honest, I enjoyed living in Southern California a lot more than this place when you factor in Maryland's traffic, humidity and their communist laws.

Mtnman31
You generally have figured this state out. Since you are in southern MD they are far from you but there are some places to shoot and some wild and open public lands. For shooting ranges here is a list which covers most of them in Maryland:
http://dnr.maryland.gov/wildlife/hunt_trap/shootingranges.asp
Three of those are on state lands Elk Neck, Green Ridge, and Savage River.

They are located on some of the larger state lands, none close to you.
Elk Neck State Park 2,188 acres.
Green Ridge State Forrest 47,560 acres.
Savage River State Forrest 54,000 acres.

The best I can suggest to you is join a shooting club or find a friendly farmer who will let you shoot on his land. Pass your time while serving your sentence by visiting the historic sites and visit some first class museums in Baltimore and DC. Two good web sites, so you wont feel alone, are:

Maryland Shooters (They have a forum)
http://www.mdshooters.com/?

Maryland Shall Issue (Trying to get the right to carry)
https://marylandshallissue.com/

I am in the extreme North East corner of the state.

gnoahhh
09-22-2013, 11:07 AM
Mtnman31
You generally have figured this state out. Since you are in southern MD they are far from you but there are some places to shoot and some wild and open public lands. For shooting ranges here is a list which covers most of them in Maryland:
http://dnr.maryland.gov/wildlife/hunt_trap/shootingranges.asp
Three of those are on state lands Elk Neck, Green Ridge, and Savage River.

They are located on some of the larger state lands, none close to you.
Elk Neck State Park 2,188 acres.
Green Ridge State Forrest 47,560 acres.
Savage River State Forrest 54,000 acres.

The best I can suggest to you is join a shooting club or find a friendly farmer who will let you shoot on his land. Pass your time while serving your sentence by visiting the historic sites and visit some first class museums in Baltimore and DC. Two good web sites, so you wont feel alone, are:

Maryland Shooters (They have a forum)
http://www.mdshooters.com/?

Maryland Shall Issue (Trying to get the right to carry)
https://marylandshallissue.com/

I am in the extreme North East corner of the state.

Good advice there. Being that Maryland is such a small state, a lot of hunting and shooting venues are within easy driving distance. Put yourself an hour (or less) in any direction from the I-95 corridor and you're as rural as you please. Get out there and you'll find the people to be more 'genuine', too.

With the exception of the new laws going into effect on Oct. 1st, Maryland isn't a whole lot worse than many many other states. It seems all states have nonsensical rules and regulations and/or weird taxes of one sort or another. For all its faults, Maryland isn't as bad as some would make it out to be. Just get away from the Baltimore-Washington metro/suburban area and you'll see what I mean. (Even at that, I hunt, target shoot, plink, shoot trap/skeet/sporting clays- all within the confines of that area. You just need to dig to find those spots.) It's far better to work to correct the faults of one's home state than to just fold one's tent and steal away into the night. (Although I admit to a yearning for secluded spaces too from time to time- but that goes back 40-50 years and isn't a result of recent legislation.)

Sasquatch-1
09-22-2013, 04:13 PM
Being someone who spent most of my life in either Prince George county and Montgomery county I say you can keep Maryland. There are very nice areas such as the western MD panhandle area and the Eastern shore area but unfortunately they are governed by Baltimore city & PG county. All the tax money from the nice areas goes to support the liberal agenda of buying votes in the poor areas.

As for the original post, do some online research and I am sure you will find a few gun clubs that are not outrageous in their dues. See if there is a local chapter of Isaac Walton League near you.

gew98
09-22-2013, 07:42 PM

Just sayin'

I second that. My job has taken me through nashville a bit...nothing I care to say good about nashville..especially the damn mess of I65.Seems like it was designed to be a mess to confuse and catch people driving through !. I'll pass on Tenn and for now stay in KY !.

gew98
09-22-2013, 07:45 PM
With the exception of the new laws going into effect on Oct. 1st, Maryland isn't a whole lot worse than many many other states.

I beg to differ. I grew up in newjerkistan and spent a fair amount of time in PA, DE , MD & NY. I would visit Parts of PA again..but the rest..not a chance.

leeggen
09-22-2013, 08:06 PM
To Bullet casters and all others that served to keep us free as we can be, Thank You! Now Largom welcome to TN. Houndog has it right, don't try to change us we like our life as it is, slow, easy going and freindly. Great place to live. Just 15 minutes away we can fish, walk out the door and hunt. Dale Hollow lake is just 20 minutes away. Live in Celina Tn. Clay co. Lots of property for sale around here.
CD