PDA

View Full Version : Swedish Mauser m/96 dated 1898 sold for $2,625 today

Dutchman
04-01-2013, 03:15 AM
First year production= very low surviving examples. This one is in very nice un-rebuilt condition. Does have a barrel replacement long ago. Wrist stamped Ch and barrel shank stamped the same. Christianstad (Kristianstad). About 3,200 rifles made in 1898. There were 5+ bidders who were hot on this rifle so it wasn't just a case of two guys back and forth.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=334012495

jaystuw
04-02-2013, 12:34 AM
I remember in the late 80's when these were widely imported, I almost bought a 1898 at a large gunshow with a 3 digit s/n. It was a near complete match and the price was 140 bucks. I talked to the seller and liked it. I was on the verge of getting out my wallet when i glanced over and not 30 steps away on the same asle was a vendor with multiple tables full of m96's, each in a cardboard box for 69.95 each. I thought to myself, what luck! And proceeded to go thru them until i found a nice odd one with IKO on the top of the buttplate. I bought it and was glad i passed on the 1898. Now of course I know i made a huge mistake. I also unwisely passed on a few with a unit marking plate instead of a range/bore plate (and i belive had pointed instead of square sights). I think they were 100 bucks. I ended up buying 8 fully matched (except rr) and unthreaded muzzle 96's at shows and shops over several months But i missed the real treasures. Buying just the 69.95 rifles was an amazing lack of forsight on my part. john

3006guns
04-02-2013, 10:04 AM
I think the most important point was missed........the ad says NO import marks! That, plus its rarity makes it a true collector's item.

Like jaystuw, I discovered the m96's back in the eighties although I only bought two. Still kicking myself as the quality was so superior to a lot of the imports at that time.

copperlake
04-03-2013, 10:06 PM
Dutchman, I missed that one on GunBroker. I'm usually looking for junk, i.e. diamonds in the rough. I just scored a nice Lowe '93 without bolt for 80 bucks with a commercial 7mm barrel and unfinished stock.

I really am surprised it went for that much. I have three dated 1898. This one is located where I live in the winter, the better one is where I live in the summer and I have one with a friend on Adak Island for reindeer hunting. I got them during the great thaw and they are all non marked. Two '96's and the 38, on Adak I turned into a hunting rifle, meaning I ruined it. There are several Aleutian Islands that have reindeer on them. I spent many years working out there and those deer are far and away the best tasting critters on the planet. THey have absolutely no gaminess to them. Lots of feed and no predators except Aleuts!

This one has all matching stock and bolt stop and all matching action barrel and bolt parts. All the blue is gone but under the wood it looks new. When I first got them I was bummed that they were so old. The one across the bay is very low serial number, three digits, if I remember correctly. I guess I should be happy now although I know the numbers not matching really lower the value. Interestingly, I've seen lots of manufacture date of 1899 on GB.

Ivantherussian03
04-05-2013, 01:04 AM
The economy must be improving.

atr
04-05-2013, 10:22 AM
I would say the level of insanity is rising....

leeshall
04-10-2013, 12:44 AM
I would say the level of insanity is rising....

I've got one of these in better shape and the serial number is 123. No, not just the last three numbers - the serial number is 123. No import marks either.
Wonder what this one would go for?

Distinguished Rifleman 1352

Dutchman
04-10-2013, 02:45 PM
I've got one of these in better shape and the serial number is 123. No, not just the last three numbers - the serial number is 123. No import marks either.
Wonder what this one would go for?

Depends on originality and condition. Lots of ducks have to line up for the big bucks :).

Dutch

WILCO
04-10-2013, 03:57 PM
The economy must be improving.

Bought with plastic.

copperlake
04-10-2013, 10:55 PM
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=335018710