PDA

View Full Version : New member checking in!

Monttexan
04-01-2013, 12:16 AM
Greeting! I've been lurking for a few weeks, and have learned so much it makes my head spin some. This is an easy place to get lost for a couple of hours! I haven't cast any boolits yet myself, but I remember watching my dad and his friends casting some when I was little. I gathered most of the tools needed a few years ago, but haven't needed to cast yet, but figure I should get going so I have some of the basics figured out before I DO need to. Like many here, my biggest frustration is finding lead so I will have a supply on hand. I've not had much luck getting wheel weights in volume though I do pick up every one I see! I have about 3/4 of a 5 gallon bucket is all. That's a work in progress, but in the mean time I'm looking forward to checking in often and absorbing all I can!

x101airborne
04-01-2013, 12:53 AM
Welcome, my friend. Ask questions and you will go far.
I am always around if you need anything. I dont have lead but rarely run out of gas!

dmclark523
04-01-2013, 12:57 AM
Welcome to CB! I understand the frustration. My first day out looking for lead, I ended up with about 300pds raw and unsorted from trash, but probably paid more than I should have for it. I called every salvage yard in the area, but ended up going to each and every automotive building/shop and asking. Took the whole afternoon, but I found what I could.
Another good idea is word of mouth. Put it out there and tell all your friends/family you are looking for lead. You'd be surprised! I've come up with some good leads like that...
Cheers

04-01-2013, 06:01 AM
Around here the smaller tire stores are the ticket. The biggest 1 in this area wanted to charge more than I would pay for clean lead. The word of mouth thing has gotten me more lead than anything else. Oh yea, welcome.

cat223
04-01-2013, 06:13 AM
Welcome! This place will not only make your head spin but occasionally your head will explode. More information than you could absorb in a lifetime. Ain't it great?!

Bad Water Bill
04-01-2013, 09:15 PM
Welcome, my friend. Ask questions and you will go far.
I am always around if you need anything. I don't have lead but rarely run out of GASSSSS!

Got to stay away from those CHILLI BEANS.:bigsmyl2:

Welcome aboard Monttexan You have quite a few friendly TEXANS to ask for help and a lot more real folks standing by.:bigsmyl2:

LUBEDUDE
04-02-2013, 12:34 AM
Welcome aboard Monttexan!

TXGunNut
04-02-2013, 07:46 AM
Welcome to the affliction, Monttexan! I understand how overwhelming it is to spend a few weeks lurking around here. So much to learn and so many helpful veteran casters to learn from. You have a good start with your lead stash, keep after it. One or more shops may save their lead for you if you keep coming around. I hear cold drinks and donuts help with the more likely prospects.

Ramar
04-02-2013, 08:23 AM
Monttexan, welcome aboard.
I highly recommend reading the stickies, all the stickies. Took me about a year it was like another world. "So little time and so much to read".
Ramar

justing
04-02-2013, 08:50 AM
+1 on the feelers you never know who knows a guy,who knows a guy that is a roofer of owns a tire shop ect...
and welcome to the madness.

Doc Highwall
04-02-2013, 09:16 AM
Monttexan, welcome aboard.
I highly recommend reading the stickies, all the stickies. Took me about a year it was like another world. "So little time and so much to read".
Ramar

Welcome aboard Monttexan! I agree read the stickies, they were made stickies for a reason.