PDA

View Full Version : Free standing brass catcher

Dale53
08-26-2007, 12:56 AM
I am getting so old and feeble that I HATE bending over to pick up brass. I even find myself grabbing the nearest revolver before going to the range because of the brass "problem".

I have decided to solve this "problem". I looked at commercial brass catchers and the one I particularly like is more money than I want to pay (they are asking $120.00 for it) or too involved to set up.

A fellow at our range has a home made outfit that I liked right off. It has an inexpensive camera tripod for a base and fastened to the tripod is a fishing dip net. This is a LARGE dip net with "shrimp" size netting. The handle is 36" long, etc and while I have not yet measured the size of the hoop, I would judge that it is near 18". At any rate, it'll be large enough without being ungainly to carry.

The first thing I did was cut the handle off at the 18" length. The handle is hollow aluminum. I had some 1" Delrin rod about 3" long that was just a bit too big in diameter (it was 1.0" and I needed about .900"). I had a friend with a lathe and it was quick work to turn the outer diameter to fit. Then I had him drill and tap it for the common tripod screw (1/4"X 28 TPI). It was a quick matter to secure it on the tripod. This will work setting it alongside a table, next to you freestanding or most any environment that this would be practical. I'll try it out in the next couple of days and see if any modification will be needed.

One thing I have yet to do is make a "spreader" to hold the net open (otherwise the cases just bounce right back out. I have one figured out but have yet to construct it.

The dip net was $19.00 at Bass Pro and I already had a couple of the inexpensive tripods so my cost was minimal.

After I finish it, I'll post a couple of pictures so that anyone interested can make one for themselves.

Dale53

Johnch
08-26-2007, 06:36 AM
One thing I have yet to do is make a "spreader" to hold the net open (otherwise the cases just bounce right back out. I have one figured out but have yet to construct it.

Dale53

Mabe 1 or 2 rods running 45 degree angle up from the handle to the back of the net to hold it open
Singe you filled the handle with Delrin , you could even tap it if you want to thread the rod in

I would try a straightened coat hanger with a hook to hook into the net
To see if it worked

John

Bret4207
08-26-2007, 09:12 AM
Excellent idea! I've been looking at the brass catchers that attach to your hand, but didn't like that idea. The net might work. Lets us see the finished item when you get it figured out please.

Dale53
08-26-2007, 09:19 AM
This particular net is strong enough that I only need one "spreader" to work well. I have some Kydex and will heat mould a Kydex strip to clamp to the top of the hoop and extend into the net (1" wide strip by 8' yo 10" long. After use, I can just loosen a wing nut and turn the clamp into the net so it is less bulky for storage (it'll lay flat).

I'll take some pictures after I finish it.

Dale53

sundog
08-26-2007, 09:24 AM
good report. need pics.

SharpsShooter
08-26-2007, 10:16 AM
Very cool idea. Sounds like it beats a 12' x 12' nylon tarp spread on the ground. (My method) Ever try to fold one of those up when it was real windy:holysheep

SS

Nueces
08-26-2007, 03:56 PM
Girlfriend?

Dale53
08-26-2007, 05:54 PM
Nueces;
My "Girlfriend" is 72 years old ( and next year we'll have been married fifty years), hence my "Free Standing Brass Catcher" as discussed here is rather necessary.:-D

However, you DID give me a chuckle...

Dale53

Nueces
08-26-2007, 06:23 PM
Dale,

Congratulations to both of you!

Mark

44woody
08-26-2007, 06:28 PM
a free standing light works real good to for the base cut it to length you want and stick your scrimp net on it I also bent the net back some to hold the net open a bit at the bottom :castmine: 44Woody

Dale53
08-26-2007, 11:40 PM
Nueces;
Thank you, kind sir!

I finished up the job today. I'll get a couple of photos on the forum in the next day or so.

Dale53

Dale53
08-28-2007, 11:42 AM
Well, the "Free Standing Brass Catcher" is now finished and has had its "Primary Live Trials".

Understand, this is NOT an original idea with me. I saw another fellow's set up on the range and made a few minor modifications to suit me and then completed the project.

Here are the images.

1 - The total rig.
2 - better view of the "head".
3 - The support strips are Kydex, heated and bent around the tubing with a hole drilled through
the Kydex to apply clamping pressure to the tubing frame of the net.
4 - The Kydex is clamped so that it will hold but still allow you to rotate it when transporting. When
you are shooting, you rotate the Kydex "spreaders" to support the net wide open ( if you don't
the brass just bounces off the netting and is not collected).
5 - You can see how the net is opened up.
6 - I cut the hollow tubular handle off at 18" (originally 36"). I then had a friend turn a scrap piece
of Delrin 1" rod down until it was a pressed fit in the handle. He drilled and tapped the Delrin
insert 1/4x20 to fit the tripod screw. The Tripod, even tho' it is a cheap ($12.00) item has a
quick release. I just leave the quick release block attached to the bottom of the net handle
permanently. It then assembles almost instantly.
7 - This is how it breaks down. The tripod folds to less than 22". The handle of the net is 18"
long and the net bow is 16" square. I like this rather large opening for the task.

I already had the tripod (I bought several as they make good wind flag stands when precision shooting) so my cost was limited to the dip net (you need to be sure and get "shrimp netting" - regular fish net will allow the brass to sail right through). I bought the dip net from our local (Cincinnati) Bass Pro Shop for $18.99.

The first time I took it to the range, I had light target loads with me for the .45. I had forgotten that I had a "full poundage" issue spring in the .45. The light target loads would barely cycle the slide and the ejected brass just barely rolled out of the pistol onto the ground - it never made it to the net (I am glad a crowd was not watching:roll: .

Dale53

Buckshot
08-29-2007, 02:51 AM
...........Dale, very nice idea. I too had been thinking about an aquarium fish dipper and velcro'd to the back of my had for the semi-auto. Only have one of those, but I like to leave with at least 90% of my brass :-)

...............Buckshot

Jim
08-29-2007, 05:08 AM
Nice job, Dale! Our gun club has a "general purpose" bay and the ground stays littered w/ cases, even though shooters are supposed to police their brass. Finding my own brass turns into a search and rescue mission. I'd seen the fancy little catch nets the pistol competitors use, but wasn't about to spend that kinda' money. Thanks for the pics!

Dale53
08-29-2007, 11:04 AM
Thanks for the kind words, fellows. The goal was to build a catcher that would work in a variety of places for a relatively small amount of money. The goal has been reached[smilie=1:.

I am pretty pleased with the finished product. The biggest problem that I had was finding some material for the insert into the handle. 1" aluminum rod would have been ideal. I went to the large local metal scrapyard. The manager told me that the aluminum would be $1.50 but it would cost me $25.00 for them to look for it. If he was deliberately trying to offend me, he succeeded. I politely declined. THEN I remembered another project that I had worked on that left me with some scrap pieces of Delrin. I also passed the remaining Delrin to my shooting buddies so that they could end up with a brass catcher of their own without having to scramble for "scrap".

Keep in mind that the inside of the handle is about .900" (YMMV) and the insert will have to be turned down slightly before it will fit the handle. You can use a wood dowel but then you would have to figure a way to put a thread insert into the wood...

Dale53

Dale53
08-31-2007, 01:14 AM
Jim;
You mention trying to sort your brass out from the herd - there is some help.

A lot of the time, I'm shooting with a bunch of other .45 ACP Pistol shooters. When it comes time to pick up the brass (unless you have a good brass catcher, like SOME folks I know[smilie=1:) it can be hard to identify yours.

The solution is simple. Use fifty or 100 round ammo boxes. Box the ammo "bullet down". Then take a Magic Marker and draw a line clear across the line of bullet bases. That leaves your brass easy to identify. You can color code your brass to keep yours separate from your shooting buddies.

Of course, all of this becomes a moot point if you have a good brass catcher[smilie=1:.

Dale53

Crash_Corrigan
08-31-2007, 04:15 PM
Here in Vegas shade is important at the range. I shoot in an open bay in the full sun so I have a 10' x 10' portable patio cover. It cost me about 50 bucks last year and once I have it assembled I simply use some clothespins and attach an old bedsheet to the right side of it. My empties fly out of the Taurus 1911 to the right rear and hit the sheet. Then they are guided to the ground where they nestle nicely where the bedsheet meets the ground. I always make sure to have about 18" of sheet laying inside the vertical and keep a few rocks thereon to keep it in place. When out of ammo or time I simply take down the sheet and carefully pickup the inside and presto all my empties are on the bedsheet. I can ususally pick 'em all up in less than two minutes. :-D

Dale53
08-31-2007, 04:59 PM
Crash;
That puts a new face on the term "Free Standing Brass Catcher":mrgreen:.

Sounds to me like it'll do a fine job.

I am more fortunate, here in SW Ohio. My local range has a covered firing point ( 15 points pistol, 18 points rifle, and seven permanent benches) so even though the summer has been "Nevada Hot" PLUS humidity, at least we don't have to stand in the sun.[smilie=1:

Dale53

BrassTrapper
09-17-2007, 04:59 PM
Sorry I'm late to the party.
Dale53 stated a problem we all have now or will have in the future.

I got tired of the "shell shower" from others and doing the "Shell in the shirt dance" from my own bounce backs. I made the "Fired Brass Trap" to solve these problems at our local range and adapted it to fit almost every application we came across. (except the guns that "plop" rather than eject.)
My Brass Trap is a safety shield that also catches brass, that is, a shield all the time and a shooter and gun dependent brass catcher. I make them to roll up and out of the way or just hang in place. We put it on a tripod or clamp it to an umbrella pole. Clamp it to partitions or the bench top. Adjust it up or down and forward or back to fit your shooting position.

The ideas I've seen here sound great but all have some drawbacks. The shade or patio cover with screened sides is about the only real way to get 100% recovery but not practical to all locations.

If my personal size (the Tristan) is too small for you, there is always the Basic or Roll-up at 36"x40" plus range units. I've done the work and made the mistakes with a scrap pile to prove it.

Take a look at the web site www.BrassTrap.com and I'd love some feed back here or mike@brasstrap.com

lonewolf5347
09-17-2007, 06:58 PM
http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a380/lonewolf5347/BRASSCATCHER002.jpg
I made this set up the other day works great used old fishing net with storm door screen also weld up a rear square out of 1/8 roll stock and wrap it all with nylon ties also use a old broom stick with pre-drilled holes for the height I need and use a sponge cord to hold it to the shooting bench was out yesterday for the first time it caught 95 rounds out of a 100 fired,beats looking on the ground in the high grass.