PDA

View Full Version : Boolit Lube Suggestion

ACrowe25
03-31-2013, 09:13 PM
Hey all,

Was looking through the recipe area, and wow that's scary looking. 1,000's of recipes... Not sure what will work for me and what won't.

I'm looking for a lube to make myself. Hopefully something that is good at all temps maybe 30-90 degrees (is that even possible?). Will only be use for 9mm and 45 acp. I will be pan lubing only.

What you think?

Oreo
03-31-2013, 09:21 PM
From what I've read here pistol calibers really aren't too picky. I'd say choose a recipes thats simple and straight forward and just go with it. Of course, I also recommend saving yourself the trouble and just buy some lube from White Label. Easy, inexpensive, tried, and true.

ACrowe25
03-31-2013, 09:36 PM
From what I've read here pistol calibers really aren't too picky. I'd say choose a recipes thats simple and straight forward and just go with it. Of course, I also recommend saving yourself the trouble and just buy some lube from White Label. Easy, inexpensive, tried, and true.

That's true, been looking at their lube. With no disrespect to them, it's $11 a pound. Buying bee's wax here and some misc. stuff around, I can make 3-4 pounds for that price. Also, being that I'm pan lubing a lot would be preferred.

I was also going with the k.i.s.s. but not sure which can work for all environments (cold/hot) temps. Living in MI it can go from 30 to 80 in what seems a week, so no way to plan for things lol. Also, I load way more than I shoot and would rather not have to worry about "okay these are for dry days, these for cold..."

geargnasher
03-31-2013, 11:48 PM
Look at Runfiverun's thread called "simple lube", should be on the first couple pages of this sub-forum. That will do you nicely and you probably have most of the ingredients on hand. His lube will cover your temp ranges with ease.

Gear

mdi
04-01-2013, 04:13 PM
Check the recipes for "Speed Green". Two ingredients; beeswax and Bull Plate (some substitute 2-cycle motor oil). Works for me in my revolvers and semi-autos.

357maximum
04-02-2013, 04:18 PM
Simple Lithi-Bee in a 60%Beeswax to 40% cheap caramel color lithium grease ratio by weight will likely cover all your requirements. You can adjust the percentages to your desires, but that will get you real close.

70% beeswax to 30% vaseline is another one and that one smells alot better both in use and in the making.

Both lubes are panlube friendly.

Boolit lube does not have to be difficult to work here in Michigan...it is only when you live nearer the gates of hell do you need a boolit lube that takes a chemical engineering degree to make apparently. :mrgreen:

Seeing as how you live in Michigan...send me your address and I will send you a sample of a few lubes...then you can decide what YOU want to make......Gratis

Marlin Junky
04-02-2013, 04:33 PM
70% beeswax to 30% vaseline is another one and that one smells alot better both in use and in the making.

You can melt some Ivory in the petroleum jelly (vaseline), allow the mix to cool to 200F, then add your beeswax and you've got a pan-friendly, summer-time handgun lube that'll work anywhere but inside the gates of hell. :lol:

MJ