PDA

View Full Version : Commerical ammo

Revolver
03-31-2013, 05:18 PM
I was wondering, when the commercial ammo manufacturers have to crank into high gear do you think the quality of the product decreases?

LUBEDUDE
03-31-2013, 05:26 PM
You will see some. I don't know what the percentages are. Think about it, machinery is being used at closer to maximum rate if not already there, which leads to errors. You have workers working overtime, thus tired workers miss things, i.e. quality control. New workers are hired, again, some things are missed.

All of us, when pushed to go faster when tired, make mistakes. Fortunatedly the ammo companies have checks and rechecks, so few will fall through the cracks.

wv109323
03-31-2013, 06:35 PM
Another thing that may affect quality is that the manufacturers may have to change raw material suppliers to keep up production. Sometimes a substitute is made under these circumstances.

TheGrimReaper
04-01-2013, 09:36 AM
I think it does.....just look at bulk packed 22's.

1Shirt
04-01-2013, 09:40 AM
Probably the law of averages!
1Shirt!

GREENCOUNTYPETE
04-01-2013, 12:18 PM
not that i think most people would notice , ammo companies have been running at or near full capacity for 4-5 years now 3 shifts a day , think about the billion rounds the gov ordered on top of all the civilian ammo
the gov won't take it if they test a batch and it isn't to the specs they ordered

I think the ammo companies are keeping the tolerances close enough the 10 yard pistol shooter or 100 yard rifle shooter won't much notice

Jailer
04-01-2013, 02:44 PM
Yes it does. Had two separate boxes of two different lots of 40 PMC last year that had one 9mm HP mixed in with it. Both were loaded and attempted to fire in our department issue 40's, one successfully one misfired.