PDA

View Full Version : What I picked up today SAFN-49

53caddy
03-31-2013, 02:22 PM
So the wife isn't to thrilled that I went buy a new rifle today and not happy what I paid for it($400) What do y'all think looks like the wood has been refinished actually very nicely done. Venezuelan 7mm mauser. 4xxx serial number. Needs a flash hider. The blueing and paint looks to be around 80 to 90 percent.Does anybody now where I can get one at? Also is there any surplus ammo left for 7mm mauser anymore? And is it actually worth more then the $400 I bought it for? Can anybody tell me more about these rifles?

Gunor
03-31-2013, 02:35 PM
I have a 8mm and '06.
Make sure you adjust your gas system to match your loads.
Gas system is probably more forgiving than a garand, for lots of reasons.
Probably would not hurt to have a new main spring for it.
Pay attention to the firing pin. Not sure on the 7 mm, but there were one and two piece variations on the 8mm(?).
Bolt take down is pretty easy

I don't have any experience loading for the 49. Cannot wait to see your cast boolit loads.

Parts - usual sources - Numrich Gun Parts and Sarco.

Geoff in Oregon

Combat Diver
03-31-2013, 06:59 PM
I used to have a Veni 49' SN 1964. Only 6000 were produced for Venezuela and only county to have it chambered in 7x57. Mine came in a Fajen sporterized stock. B-Square made a scope mount that replaced the rear sight (not permament). Also called the SAFN or ABL it was the forerunner of the FN FAL. Gas system is adjustable and there is a gas cut off in front of the front sight post. Depress the plunger(A for Auto) and rotate 180 degrees (G for Rifle Grenade) cuts off the gas and gives you a straight pull rifle. Great for a public range so you don't have to chase your brass (do the same with a FAL). SARCO may have some parts. I only reloaded J-orts for it. When cocked there is a plunger that sticks down into the trigger guard. Also has dust cover on the right side behind the operating rod IIRC. Belgians reported it on par with the M1 Garand during the Korean War for reliablity and accuracy (theirs were in 30-06).

CD

Combat Diver
03-31-2013, 09:43 PM
More info

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FN_Model_1949

CD

45 2.1
03-31-2013, 10:14 PM
I can tell you that it will function correctly with cast boolits with very good accuracy. Does yours have the flash hider threads on it or is the barrel just cut off?

jdgabbard
03-31-2013, 11:45 PM
Looks to have the threads to me.

53caddy
04-01-2013, 06:55 AM
I can tell you that it will function correctly with cast boolits with very good accuracy. Does yours have the flash hider threads on it or is the barrel just cut off?

It has the threads for the flash hider.

MtGun44
04-02-2013, 06:16 PM
If the bbl is good I would have JUMPED on it! I am a big 7x57 fan and this is the predecessor to the
FAL, I always wanted to have one to learn about it.

Surplus 7x57 is a lot like surplus .303 Brit, the good stuff has pretty much all been shot
up long ago, IME. Easy to load for, though. GREAT cartridge.

Where are you located?

Bill

Uncle R.
04-02-2013, 07:35 PM
I let a nice specimen of a Venezuelan FN-49 go by many years ago. I've had numerous opportunities to regret that foolish decision. If yours has a nice bore I'd have paid 400 for it with a great big smile on my face - even with the refinished stock. I think you did well!
<
Uncle R.

53caddy
04-03-2013, 06:41 PM
If the bbl is good I would have JUMPED on it! I am a bit 7x57 fan and this is the predecessor to the
FAL, I always wanted to have one to learn about it.

Surplus 7x57 is a lot like surplus .303 Brit, the good stuff has pretty much all been shot
up long ago, IME. Easy to load for, though. GREAT cartridge.

Where are you located?

Bill

Outside of Chattanooga TN this is my first 7x57 and really have been itching all week to shoot it. Just can't find the ammo. I bought some surplus online but you know that is going to take a while to get here.

MtGun44
04-06-2013, 06:18 PM
Probably late enough that this was designed and sights made for 139 Spire Pt military
rather than the old standard of 175 RN. What brand and bullet in the surplus ammo?
Haven't seen much surplus in a few decades, actually. Probably your best bet is to try
some PRVI from AIMSURPLUS online. Good reloadable brass and quality current
production ammo at a fairly reasonable price.

http://www.aimsurplus.com/product.aspx?item=AP7MAUSSP139&name=Prvi+Partizan+PPU+7mm+Mauser+139gr+SP+20rd+Bo x&groupid=270

Please report on performance. The location question was based on wondering if you
were in some other country where these might be a little less scarce than in the USA.

Bill