PDA

View Full Version : .69 Musket Questions

drhall762
03-31-2013, 11:26 AM
Picked up a repro 1847 Springfield musket. I actually picked it up because as a smooth bore I plan on using it as a 14 gauge shotgun. Much cheaper than the shotguns I have seen.

The question I have is: What have any of you used for solid loads in this caliber? Keep in mind it is a smooth bore. I imagine a ball is the way to go, but patched or unpatched? Can't imagine the Minnies would shoot very straight but I may be wrong.

Thanks.

DIRT Farmer
03-31-2013, 01:23 PM
I don't know the diamater of the bore in this gun but generaly a patched round ball will group the best. I have had reasonable groups in some guns with a wadded ball, ie loaded as a shotgun but the ball needs to be near bore diamater and pure lead.

drhall762
03-31-2013, 01:36 PM
The bore is dead on .690 at the muzzle.

missionary5155
03-31-2013, 07:27 PM
Greetings
Have several 69's. Patched RB is the best for accuracy. Start with 60 grains 2F (or 55 grains 3F) and work up. Generally with mine around 75 grains 2F accuracy got as good as it was going to get.
The ball does not need a very tight patch. Snug is how I would call it. You will need to foul the barrel to know for sure. Your fitting a snug patch on a clean barrel will be a tight patch on a fouled barrel. The ball itself I use no harder than range scrap (cheap shooting) . Hunting I use 40/1 mix.
Plan on good accuracy to about 50 yards. Paper plates can be routinly hit to 60 yards. Some 69's have uncanny ability to do better.
Minis have never been any good for me. A caliber.68 ball traveling along at 1000 fps will go clean through any critter I have leveled the barrel at. I cannot imagine any 600 pound 4 legged beasty that would need to absorb many well placed shots from a 69.
Enjoy ! I do every time I get to fire mine.
Mike in Peru

10 ga
03-31-2013, 09:23 PM
Inherited a Harpers Ferry 1842 .69 musket. Grandpaw used to let us shoot it but no more. Being a shotgun kinda guy I'd suggest #00 buckshot. The 69 was also widely used to shoot buck-n-ball loads, nuthin better for home defense than buck-n-ball loads, try them, you'll like them.

gnoahhh
04-01-2013, 03:25 PM
I used a .670 ball contained in a period correct paper cartridge, giving a snug but not tight fit when rammed down the bore when leaving the ball in the cartridge (like you're supposed to). Like was mentioned, uncannily accurate out past 50 yards.

Although I have used various smooth bore muskets as shotguns, I got tired of the poor balance for wing shooting so eventually gave up on them for that.

drhall762
04-02-2013, 09:10 AM
True, mine doesn't swing well either but I hope it will be fine for turkey.

KCSO
04-02-2013, 09:20 AM
I used a 670 round ball and a patch over 80 Gr of FFG and mine shot pretty good out to 70 yards. You do need to shoot it some to figure out the drop especially if you are not using a rear sight. Killed a couple of turkeys with mine before I sold it to a friend. He is still using it as his main smooth bore. Nice thing about a smooth boore is that you can use any old lead you have and it works fine, I used wheel weighs for my smoothies.

fouronesix
04-02-2013, 01:11 PM
True, mine doesn't swing well either but I hope it will be fine for turkey.

True, swing is not the primary concern for a turkey gun. Do yourself and the game a favor. When working on a shot load for turkey, take two large sheets of paper or cardboard for patterning. Set up one at whatever range you think is a good turkey distance. With a full choked, modern shotgun loaded with your favorite turkey load, shoot at a turkey sized head/neck bullseye on the paper.

Next put up a fresh piece of paper at the same distance with the same "turkey" head/neck bullseye and shoot with the 69 smoothbore.

Compare results.

drhall762
04-02-2013, 01:30 PM
Good point. That musket certainly has no choke.

Eljay
04-03-2013, 05:40 PM
In my .69 I've been using a .662 with a .015 patch and 60 grains. This is an older gun so I keep the load somewhat light and it just happens to shoot well with 60. The load is easy to start but isn't going anywhere.

KCSO
04-04-2013, 10:16 AM
For a turkey load try using a 20 ga hard card wad and a cushion wad with two wraps of news paper around it for a package for the shot load. It should just slip into the bore . Then you put in your shot and twist the top. To load slide the paper tube in and trim off the twist and put on a over shot wad. This holds the shot together some and will give you a few extra yards. If you call good it shouldn't be much of a problem as I have got them in to as little as 7 yards. Most of mine are shot under 25 yards at most.

6pt-sika
04-04-2013, 05:34 PM
I have an original Harpers Ferry Model 1842 smoothbore . Had it about 30-35 years and never had an inclantation to shoot it !

But at the moment I'm working with a Wm Mason 1861 Contract Musket and once I get that one going to suit me I think I'm gonna mess with the 1842 and one of the original 1841 Mississippi's we have . Started accumulating this stuff about 40 years ago and to be honest shooting them never crossed my mind until I picked up the stock and barrel from a chopped Trenton 1861 contract gun !
I already have a complet nice shape Trenton so I thought I would rebuild this cut off Trenton but after awhile I thought why not shoot the complete ones !
Lot less trouble and certainly as much FUN ;-)

Borrowed a Lee 578-478HB from a friend and cast 150 for the Wm Mason earlier this week . I'll scrounge around and see if I can find an accpetable 54 cal mold for the 1841's as well as a 69 Minnie mold !

Ohio Rusty
04-04-2013, 05:47 PM
I have a .670 round ball mould - dixie scissor type mould. With a .20 thou's patch and that ball, you'd be OK. If you want some to try, I'll cast some this week and send them your way.
Ohio Rusty ><>