PDA

View Full Version : Heat treated hard cast leading.

greenrivers
03-31-2013, 08:58 AM
I shot some purchased heat treated hard cast pb boolits that were given to me in my .454 and found quite a lot of leading beyond the forcing cone. The boolits measure .452 and are a slip fit to the .453 cylinder throats and .453 barrel. They were seated over a charge of Unique and pushed to 1450 fps.. Would this be to fast and cause them to strip over the rifling? Thoughts? I have no more of them and do not plan on buying any as I cast my own and have not had problems (so far) with the 300 wfngc that I am using. But I am about to try some 265gr pb as a plinking load and this has me wondering. I cast this new boolit at a ratio of 4 to 1, ww to lino and water quenched. I expect about an 18 bhn, and plan to push them at about 1200. Will they work?

Nobade
03-31-2013, 09:13 AM
Pretty much what you would expect. Super hard boolits that are too small for the gun, leaking gas past them and leading the bore.

-Nobade

btroj
03-31-2013, 09:35 AM
I don't care how hard the bullet is, of it is smaller than bore diameter it is likely to lead. Different lube won't help. Harder wont help. Less powder will make it worse!

Get bullets that are the right size and the leading goes away.

waksupi
03-31-2013, 11:24 AM
That's why we make our own, so we know we have what will fit. You're about .002+ too small.

You could save your lino, and just air cool the wheel weight boolits at the velocity you are going to shoot. ACWW is about perfect for that speed. Don't try to make things complicated.

Lefty SRH
03-31-2013, 11:27 AM
Your bullets are too small and so are the cylinder throats. Stuffing a larger bullet thru a .453 throat into a .453 barrel will more than likely still lead the barrel. How did you measure the cylinder throats? Its best to use gage pins or slug the the throat.

greenrivers
04-01-2013, 12:06 AM
Thanks for the responce guys. I know that the boolits are a bit small, but expected bump up. Evidently too hard. I am having no trouble with the gas checked boolit and may have to stay with it if the plain base will not bump up. It looked more like skid leading than base cutting as the lead was tight into the lands as well. I can not load a larger boolit in the Freedom Arms as the chambers are too tight. The throats were measured with pin gauges and the barrel with slugging and micrometers and soft lead. Will the plain base obturate if cast of ww's? It is a tight fit between the throats and the boolit, but will slip through without too much pressure if aligned right.

leftiye
04-01-2013, 06:51 AM
Investigate making your chamber mouths .001" bigger.

Nobade
04-01-2013, 07:37 AM
I wouldn't cut on a Freedom Arms revolver, but have had good luck in these situations with granular filler. My oversize Ruger SBH would lead like mad with a full load of H110, but cut that by 1/2 and replace the missing powder with cream 'o' wheat and the velocity was slightly lower but the barrel stayed clean and the accuracy improved considerably.

-Nobade

greenrivers
04-02-2013, 06:55 AM
No, I am not going to cut the throats on this one. I have on a couple of Rugers and had good luck. Along with lapping the bores, action jobs, etc, etc.. The Freedom Arms does very well with gas checked and j words, but being "thrifty", I would like to find a plinking, inexpensive load. I found an extra sizing die for my lube/sizer that I have started to lap in hopes of being able to chamber a slightly larger(.454) boolit. Being retired sure puts a lot of stress on a guy!

btroj
04-02-2013, 07:09 AM
I will also say that I would use a different powder for pushing them to 1450. Unique isn't bad but something a bit slower would be better, give the bullet a bit softer a push. Maybe go to 2400 Or even Blue Dot.

greenrivers
04-02-2013, 10:11 PM
Please excuse the original post. The heat treated hard cast were pushed by 2400 not Unique.

popper
04-04-2013, 11:23 AM
Oven HT and AC them a few days before shooting.