PDA

View Full Version : Saturday At A Gun Auction

Kraschenbirn
03-30-2013, 10:16 PM
Over the years, I've attended a number of consignment auctions (and bought my share or more) but today was a ‘interesting’ experience…as in the old Chinese curse: “May you live in interesting times.” Main part of the sale was from the estate of a long-time gunshow dealer; essentially a lifetime accumulation of guns, ammo, tools, reloading supplies, and shooting gear. Remainder to the sale consisted of consignment stuff from various sources.

Got there about an hour before the sale started so I could take a close-up look a few of the pieces listed on the online catalogue. First thing I noticed was that all the guns were secured in battery with nylon tie-wraps…no way to get a look at the bore on anything! Asked one of the auction house staff if I could open the bolt on a moderately decent Carl Gustav 94/14 and was told, flatly, “NO!”. When I questioned this policy, the answer I received was “It’s an insurance issue, because we’re also selling the ammunition, the guns have to be kept secured while they’re in our possession.” In other words, the whole sale was a ‘pig in a poke’ proposition…no way to examine bores or check mechanical function on anything…with a big sign on the auctioneer’s podium reading “All sales are final. No warranties or returns.”

Next, I went the tables of ammo and reloading supplies and found, literally, thousands of rounds of 'amateur' (as opposed to 'reman' or 'commercial') RELOADS in plastic ammo boxes…most marked only with caliber and number of rounds; no load data on the boxes. (and some of the stuff that did have labels was kinda scary; like .30-30 170 gr. JSPs marked ’36.0-H4831’ and 45-70 500 gr. LRNs marked ’27.5-AA5744’) Then, there was a whole table of cast boolits in wood trays…all lubed and sized to JB diameters; .429 44s, .308 30 cals, and .458 45-70s…that later sold like cold beer at Cubs game. Another table had can after can of assorted powders…3/4 of which were ‘partials’ (and some of those had been ‘relabeled’ using masking tape and a Magic Marker).

The actual selling started off pretty slow…in the first few minutes, I snagged a couple thousand Win. LRPs for $25/K and an unopened 1 lb. can of IMR4198 for $20…but once the auctioneer got things rolling ‘interesting’ kicked in big time. Believe me, there were a lot of guys still in ‘panic buy’ mode: 50 and 100 round boxes of ‘no-data’ reloads selling for 1 1/2X-2X new ammo MSRP, bricks of low-end .22s (‘Thunderbolts’ and ‘Wildcats’) for $75-$80 a pop, factory ammo at double the sticker price on the boxes. Milsurp ammo went the same way with guys paying a buck a round for Romanian 7.62x54 and Chinese 7.62x39 What I really found funny was that this week a couple of our ‘big box’ stores had begun receiving .22 ammo and were selling at regular retail prices…like $19.95 for Federal Bulk-Paks (limit 1 per customer).

When they got to the guns, things became even goofier. First item was pretty ragged Savage 311 12 ga. that went for around $100 but the second piece was a ‘well-used’ Ruger Ranch Rifle @ $1025(!), followed by a completely mismatched M98k for $350 (the receiver was ‘Nazi-marked’) and, a few minutes later, an S&W M&P 15-22 (missing its magazine) for just over $400. At that point, I decided I’d had all the fun I could handle so I paid off my tab, picked up my goodies, and got the H*** out of there.

Bill

Oh yeah, forgot to mention, the auction house didn’t have an FFL on-site. They made a deal with an LGS where you bought and paid for guns at the auction then took your receipt to the LGS (5 miles away) to fill our your 4473 and pay a $12 (per gun) transfer fee but the LGS wasn’t going to call in the background checks until Monday so you wouldn't actually be able to go back and get your gun until next Thursday. And, it didn’t matter if you had an FFL or C&R…you still had to pick up your gun (and pay the transfer fee) through the LGS.

imashooter2
03-30-2013, 10:49 PM
The last auction I went to featured the estate of a guy that bought bunches of high quality firearms, never fired them and apparently stored them in his shower. A tragic collection of "new in box" rust buckets that somehow sold for well over new prices and that was before the auction fees.

RickinTN
03-30-2013, 11:27 PM
I retired from the auction industry about 8 years ago. We held an FFL and sold firearms on a regular basis. One of our competitors in a nearby town who did not hold an FFL decided he would hold a gun auction and made arrangements similar to what you mention with a gun shop local to him.
The auctioneer and the gun shop later had a visit from the BATFE and were told that their arrangement was a big no-no. If my memory serves me correctly it had to do with an auctioneer being able to sell an "occasional" firearm if it was "incidental"to their normal auction activities such as an estate with 2 or 3 firearms. A pure firearms related auction could not be held by a non-FFL auction firm.

Kraschenbirn
03-30-2013, 11:53 PM
Rick...

I gave up my FFL back during the early Clinton administration so I'm not up on the current regs but I suspect that you're probably right. We have another auction house (Bauer Bros.) in the area that has, for many years, conducted nationally-advertised consignment auctions every three or four months and I know they maintain their own FFL.

Bill

FLINTNFIRE
03-31-2013, 12:37 AM
Sounds interesting , though the living in interesting times , may not be a chinese curse as much as a more modern western saying , though I feel we do indeed live in interesting times , sounds like a auction to be avoided , if one can not inspect merchandise then it is a **** shoot , as for crazy prices well that is true in a lot of auctions , clear back to my child hood and the local auction house , always some interesting stuff and people do get carried away,as for the arrangement with the local gun shop , that is a reason I do not like the dealers at gun shows and the stupid idea of instant checks (which are not instant) as who wants to buy on saturday and find you are delayed , now its a week later and come back to where the dealer has his/her business

41 mag fan
03-31-2013, 07:40 AM
Krashenbirn.....was that auction up in Mattoon??

Kraschenbirn
03-31-2013, 11:02 AM
Krashenbirn.....was that auction up in Mattoon??

Nope, Mattoon is Bauer Bros and a completely different ball of wax. The sale Saturday was Jim Clingan Auctions in St. Joseph, IL...a little 'bedroom community' 'bout 10 miles east of Champaign-Urbana.

I've attended several of Bauer's sales and, for a small town operation, they run a fairly class act. As I mentioned in a previous post, they maintain their own FFL and guns are stored in their own vaults on the premises. No tie wraps on the actions and, if you've got an FFL (or C&R if applicable), you walk out the door with your purchase, otherwise, there's only the BS Illinois waiting period for pick-up. Only real 'problem' :lol: I've ever encountered down there is that their auctioneers are really, really good at playing the crowd to squeese absolute top dollar (or better) out of every sale.

Bauer's big annual auction...held New Year's Day every year...is worth going just to see/handle some of guns on sale. Dunno where it all comes from, but they do get some genuine collector pieces rarely seen outside of one of 'major' art/antique houses.

Bill

fatelk
03-31-2013, 12:34 PM
What is it with "auction fever"? I've been to a very few gun auctions in my life, and they were all crazy.

The funny thing is that some of those suckers paying insane prices may never realize how much they overpaid. A few years back an acquaintance wanted to sell me his S&W M29 "Mountain gun". He had bought it used at an auction and got a "great deal", but he needed money so he wanted to sell it to me at a loss just to get rid of it, only $800. This was a decade or so ago, before prices climbed so high. I didn't even make him an offer, though maybe I should have because I heard later that he practically gave it away to someone else.

Another table had can after can of assorted powders…3/4 of which were ‘partials’ (and some of those had been ‘relabeled’ using masking tape and a Magic Marker).

I have another short story about this kind of thing. I was a teenager and bought my first shotshell reloader from an old timer. It came with a bunch of components and gear. There was a can of Alcan 5 (if my memory is correct), so I looked up the recipe in the old book, something like 29 gr. max load with components I had. I loaded four or five rounds in steps like 26 to 29 or some such and took them outside to try them out.

The first round went off with a roar. It kicked like a mule and seemed really loud. The hull came out with minimal crimp left of the plastic. Like the inexperienced kid I was, I put the next one in. BOOM! It was worse, nearly tore my shoulder off, and the hull came out with even less crimp.

Like an idiot, I put the next one in. This one was even worse than the others, and I had to work to get the hull out. It was almost melted and there was absolutely no crimp left at all. I finally came to a little bit of sense and stopped without firing the last one.

I went back and checked the book, then all my components. I looked over the old can of "Alcan 5". Something was written in sharpie on the lid, but it was faded to unreadable. I finally turned it over and looked at the bottom of the can. There, clear as day, handwritten on masking tape, was "Green Dot"!!! That tough old Mossberg took a beating that day, but I still have it and it still works fine, decades later.

PULSARNC
03-31-2013, 09:19 PM
Next month an auction is being held in a nearby town Up for grabs are something like 200,000 rounds of ammo part of which is 100,000 rounds of 22 lots of pistols and shotguns including some high end stuff .Gonna be interesting to see the prices on that .

gew98
03-31-2013, 11:47 PM
I've done a couple 'farm auctions' local to me in the past couple years. Saw things go from zero to stupid so quick... I can't fathom to explain them. When jackarses are bidding up $5 shackles to $10 each , well worn drill presses for $340 and up and farm tractors for more than half their value in near new condition when they were in fact scrap condition....it must be the water... right ?.

TheGrimReaper
04-01-2013, 09:53 AM
I always pass on auctions. Seems like most stuff sells for more than you can buy it NEW>

Ed Barrett
04-01-2013, 08:08 PM
I go to a lot farm auctions around here. I know what I'm looking and don't mind waiting a year to find what I want at a price I'm willing to pay. Many people see something on a sale bill and go to buy it and will pay any price to get it. When there are a couple of guns people go pretty wild. I've seen ratty single shot .22's go for $150.00 and more, and Savage 99's go for $100.00, rhyme or reason are not to be found.