PDA

View Full Version : Cast bullets in the AR-15

klw
08-25-2007, 01:28 PM
I've always assumed that cast bullets would clog up a gas system in the 223. Having said that, a friend was showing me the other day how easy it was to get to the gas port and how quick he could clean it out with a pipe cleaner. So I was wondering could you shoot cast bullets in a 223 if you put a pipe cleaner down the gas port after every trip to the range?

Johnch
08-25-2007, 01:53 PM
I shoot cast out of my AR regulary
I clean the gass system ................Errrrrrrrrr...............once in a while

Even when I do clean it , never found much
A little lube , thats it
Even after not cleaning it for thousands of rnds
It barely needed it
Still put all the brass in the same 3' circle

I found my Rock River 1 - 12 barrel shoots cast a lot better that the 1 - 8
on the other rifle

John

imashooter2
08-25-2007, 02:06 PM
The only gas tubes I've ever heard of clogged had pipe cleaners broken off in them.

klw
08-25-2007, 02:47 PM
I shoot cast out of my AR regulary
I clean the gass system ................Errrrrrrrrr...............once in a while

Even when I do clean it , never found much
A little lube , thats it
Even after not cleaning it for thousands of rnds
It barely needed it
Still put all the brass in the same 3' circle

I found my Rock River 1 - 12 barrel shoots cast a lot better that the 1 - 8
on the other rifle

John

So this might be worth a try. Interesting. Thanks!

Incidentally as I said I've seen the gas tube cleaned with a pipe cleaner. That does not mean I remember how to get to it. Are there instruction on how to do that that come with the rifle?

imashooter2
08-25-2007, 03:12 PM
The end of the gas tube fits into the carrier key on top of the bolt carrier. Keep pipe cleaners out of it. In fact, you can generally just leave it alone. Squirt a little gun scrubber in it if you just gotta do something. Make sure you blow the tube dry before you shoot it.

klw
08-25-2007, 04:42 PM
The end of the gas tube fits into the carrier key on top of the bolt carrier. Keep pipe cleaners out of it. In fact, you can generally just leave it alone. Squirt a little gun scrubber in it if you just gotta do something. Make sure you blow the tube dry before you shoot it.

Thanks!

I never seriously considered shooting cast bullets in one of these until the price of ammunition skyrocketed. Now it may be worth a look.

danski26
08-26-2007, 12:58 AM
When I went to Colt armorers school they instructed us to leave the gas tube alone. No pipe cleaners or solvent. New ones sell for between $20 and $90. A novice can replace them with a little instruction. If you start having problem with yours. Put in a new one.