PDA

View Full Version : Cheddite 2 3/4" clear plastic hulls with 16mm brass base - Need Buckshot load advice.

HeadLead
03-30-2013, 02:58 PM
I have cast up some #00 buckshot using the Lee 6 cavity mold and have Cheddite 2 3/4" hulls. They are the high brass version (16mm) and these are new hulls. I have Claybuster CB2118-12 wads (Federal 12S3) and Red Dot, Green Dot, Universal and Unique powder available. I suppose I will need either a under shot wad or over shot wad for 9 balls in this set up.

Does anyone out there have any experience with the Cheddite hulls and powder combinations mentioned above?

I am ordering a BPI shotshell manual specifically for buckshot, however it is unavailable at this time.

Any suggestions or comments would be appreciated greatly.

Cerberus62
03-30-2013, 03:54 PM
I have cast up some #00 buckshot using the Lee 6 cavity mold and have Cheddite 2 3/4" hulls. They are the high brass version (16mm) and these are new hulls. I have Claybuster CB2118-12 wads (Federal 12S3) and Red Dot, Green Dot, Universal and Unique powder available. I suppose I will need either a under shot wad or over shot wad for 9 balls in this set up.

Does anyone out there have any experience with the Cheddite hulls and powder combinations mentioned above?

I am ordering a BPI shotshell manual specifically for buckshot, however it is unavailable at this time.

Any suggestions or comments would be appreciated greatly.

I have quite a bit of experience with the Cheddite hulls, Red Dot, and Unique. I have no experience at all with the CB2118-12 /12S3 wads.

The place to start is to look at weight and fit:

1) How much does each pellet weigh? A 9x00 load will usually run close to 1 1/8 ounce.
2) How do 9 pellets stack in the wad? 3 layers of 3 pellets is the typical placement.

Let's say your 9x00 load is close to 1 1/8 ounce. Pick a load using the powder you want at the velocity you want.

Load the weighed charge, seat the wad and make sure the pellets stack correctly, then will it crimp well. If it all fits, you can then start working on fine tuning the load.

If it doesn't fit, then try a different powder or charge weight, or a different wad. You will probably not need an undershot card, but a thin overshot card can help with a smooth crimp. Another approach to fit is to roll crimp rather than fold crimp.

Red Dot will be too fast burning to get high veloicity, but would do well for loading the "tactical" or reduced recoil buck loads that are so popular. I use a LOT of Unique in 12 gauge 1 1/8 & 1 1/4 ounce loads and it will give very good velocities at safe pressures for more powerful hunting loads.

Green Dot falls between Red Dot and Unique, and might bet a better choice for standard 1200fps loads than Red Dot. Universal is a Unique clone with similar performance, but cleaner burning.

M27
03-30-2013, 04:43 PM
from the alliant site
http://i1198.photobucket.com/albums/aa446/FTheRef27/ScreenShot2013-03-30at14039PM_zps96e88444.png
http://i1198.photobucket.com/albums/aa446/FTheRef27/ScreenShot2013-03-30at14108PM_zps3ba9a52c.png

HeadLead
03-30-2013, 05:27 PM
Thanks for the info. So I gather that using standard shot weight to powder weight with a specific powder and load works for either bird shot or buck (yes/no).

I have the Alliant information and was uncertain of using it as a buckshot load, but it sounds as if there should be little difference.

Do you use a buffer in your loads and if so, what do you recommend?

Thanks again.

M27
03-30-2013, 06:18 PM
I have been reloading metallic for a few years now, with metallic loading you can experiment a lot.

I am really new to shotshell reloading. From what I have read and understand. You can not experiment as much with shotshell. The hull, the primer and the powder need to follow the book.

The wad needs to almost follow the book. You can change for a similar wad if needed. For example, you can change a 12s3 for a 12s4 but you can not change a 12s0 for a waa12.

You can change bird shot for buckshot for slugs but the weight must match the recipes powder weight.

If a more experienced shotshell loader could comment on what I said it would be appreciated.

HeadLead
03-30-2013, 07:38 PM
Sounds legit. to me!

Thanks.