PDA

View Full Version : Indoor range?

Harter66
03-30-2013, 02:40 PM
I live in a sort of rural subdivision,Walker Lake township.

I've room for 100 yards but the lot curves . 50 Would be easy enough . In order to "sell this" idea I will probably have to convince the county fathers the"structure" will contain a howidzer because ya know the Corps might want to use it to test fire 105s. My thoughts are currently revolving around a concrete tunnel of at least 3 inch walls and roof with an 8 inch berm end wall. As a bonus it will collect irrigation water too. Will an 8 inch wall with 2-3 feet of blow sand stand up to say slug guns and Lott?. Although OOB and heavy 06' is as heavy as I go today. Oh and this will be forever private for only myself and immediate family. Suggestions for sound suppresion are welcome too along w/lighting options . I'm thinking a manual cable trolly for target setting and recovery.

epanzella
03-30-2013, 03:29 PM
24 inch concrete pipe is probably the cheapest way to do this. It has a 3 inch wall and nothing running roughly parallel with it will bother it. That said, 24 inch pipe runs about $40 a linear foot (undelivered) so were looking at over 6 grand just to get it on your lot. A small insulated room at the firing line could act as a walk-in suppressor to keep the noise down.

Harter66
03-30-2013, 05:36 PM
I actually considered culvert but the cost was too high. I've alocated a sum for concrete fence so this would only add the cost of the roof pours.

epanzella
03-30-2013, 06:54 PM
You don't need a floor and if you already have the walls, you're 3/4's there. You'll need forms for the top (3/4 ply) that will be unrecoverable. I did a concrete gun room in my basement and to pour the ceiling I needed double 3/4 and a temp center wall but if your range is narrow enough (<24in) you should be able to use one layer of ply. Connect the pours with some rebar so the seems can't open from settling. I poured mine in one shot but it's only 30 ft. A 150 ft pour will almost certainly crack somewhere which is no big deal if there's rebar to keep it from opening. Good luck, sounds like a great project.

jmorris
03-30-2013, 11:25 PM
Chicken barns are 100 yds long and the last ones I looked at cost $7k if you took them down and reset them.

You will have problems with anything if you don't contain your bullets you will have problems no matter what and if you can already legally shoot where you are, doing it inside should be simple.

Harter66
04-04-2013, 09:51 AM
The trick is that the property curves so the 100 is pretty much out unless most of it is fully under ground.

I have a straight shot of roughly 200 ft very closel to a "terrace step" in line and including a closed,insulatated, "white room" i intend to use for the casting and loading space.

epan,
I've requested quotes from a couple colvert sources. 1 for concrete and 1 for 24-30-36 inch steel/poly which is much lighter than the cement at 2100#per 10 ft and it comes per 20ft lengths. Both should be suitable and handle an AD at 45 degrees from just about everything I own.

I've also researched poured cinder block for a 24 high 48 wide w/a run off lip at 50 yards will come in about 3k locally aquired unless delivered cement has jumped again .