PDA

View Full Version : Problem with Universal decap die

Rich22
03-30-2013, 12:18 PM
Got a bit of a problem,

I have a Lee universal decapping die. Broke the pin on it, no problem there, I have spares. Problem is I cannot get the spindle off to replace the pin, it is flat out stuck. 4 applications of kroil and the biggest box end wrench I have that fits and it is still a no go. Let the oil soak in overnight and still nada. Any ideas?

r1kk1
03-30-2013, 12:33 PM
A little heat and swap the lock ring for something else and I use a bench vise to tap the wrench. I wonder how in the world it got so tight?

Take care

r1kk1

300winmag
03-30-2013, 12:34 PM
The 1 Lee that I broke recently was no fault of the of the decap pin, but its a 1 piece. Ordered 2 from Titian @ 2$ each.
http://www.titanreloading.com/lee-replacement-decapper-pin-90292?filter_name=decapper&filter_description=true&filter_sub_category=true

Re-read post, I had the same problem, I took a punch and knocked the spindle thru from the top down that relaxed the collet so I could back out the nut.

r1kk1
03-30-2013, 12:34 PM
Should be: use a hammer and tap the wrench while die is tighten on lock ring in vise.

Sorry brain fart

r1kk1

cylinderman
03-30-2013, 01:01 PM
I had a difficult one once, don't know if it was overtightened or a burr on the collet nut but it cut into the threads when backing out. I clamped it in vice across the flats and used a large ratchet to finally break it loose. Threads were a little flattened but re assembled fine.

VHoward
03-30-2013, 01:26 PM
I had a decap pin break in mine after only decapping 10 cases. Called Lee and they replaced the pin. I bought a few replacements also. but haven't broke the one Lee sent me. It was really tight when I changed it out. I think they over tighten them at the factory.

Rich22
03-30-2013, 01:30 PM
Bad part is no metal bench vise currently, I have a rubber and plastic one that uses a bar clamp for when I am cleaning the inside of a receiver or something just to lightly hold it in place so I can use both hands. I will try the heat. I should have thought of that, I cannot remember if I tightened it down or if it came from the factory.

bbqncigars
03-30-2013, 02:19 PM
Reading this thread made me realize that I don't have a spare for my universal decapper. I just ordered two. Now the original will outlive me for sure. ;-)

300winmag
03-30-2013, 02:58 PM
Reading this thread made me realize that I don't have a spare for my universal decapper. I just ordered two. Now the original will outlive me for sure. ;-)

I had 10 years on that, some how I got a piece of berdan brass in the mix. Needless to say no fault of the pin for the breakage.
Again operator error!!!

Billybumbler
03-30-2013, 04:33 PM
I haven't broke one..... yet. A good idea may be to use anti seize. What do ya'll think?

km101
03-30-2013, 09:52 PM
Anti-sieze would work fine. Just dont get any on the collet!

If your universal decapper is out of commission, you can use any large size/decap die in a pinch. I have used an old .300Wby die as a universal decapper for years. Works fine.

engineer401
03-30-2013, 11:02 PM
I have 2 decapping pins on order. I found a spare used decapping die at a pawn shop. Reading this makes me think I should buy it as a backup.

ACrowe25
03-31-2013, 02:57 PM
I have 2 decapping pins on order. I found a spare used decapping die at a pawn shop. Reading this makes me think I should buy it as a backup.

Yep. Thus why when I ordered mine... I bought 3! For only a few dollars a pop, they sure make a mess of things when broke and you ahve to wait lol