PDA

View Full Version : Had the House Alone Yesterday, Made a Huge Big of Boolits

Silver Jack Hammer
03-30-2013, 11:20 AM
Fellow Sophisticates,

Yesterday my wife was at work and my kids at school, I had the day off from work and they didn't call me in on overtime. It wasn't raining. I got my 4 cavity 454190, 4 cavity 429667, my RCBS 44-200 CM and my new to me just bought off of ebay single cavity 454424. Several hours of to myself. Not only did I have a blast but the end result was a huge pile of boolits that will last me a while.

I owned the 454424 years ago and foolishly sold it. My old mold had a square lube groove, this one I just bought has a rounded lube groove, I sense the Grand Ol' Man is looking down on me not quite satisfied by the one recently acquired but I was out bid and lost two 454424 molds before I finally got my hands on this one. Then I had to order another 424 top punch from Midway. At least top punches are one thing not sold out in the retail shooting world.

I use a 12" iron skillet 4" deep on a propane turkey deep roaster heat source. I have this table I made just the right size and height to catch my cast boolits as they fall from the mold. I've got Linotype, 20:1, etc but yesterday was just using wheelweights and scrap lead I bought in bulk from the local recycler.

Another thing I find handy is a small set of channel locks I use to pull a boolit stuck in a mold that won't knock free with a rap from the wood stick. The channel locks are set to the right size to grip the base and the nose of the boolit. Works well for me.