PDA

View Full Version : pictures of your booth ventilation

snowman
08-25-2007, 10:55 AM
How are you set up for casting?

What do you have for ventilation of your booth?

Anybody willing to share pics of their setup?

Bullshop
08-25-2007, 11:07 AM
see my avitar
BIC/BS

snowman
08-25-2007, 11:59 AM
but i can't see your avatar :) eyes aren't that good....pm sent

mazo kid
08-25-2007, 10:09 PM
Here is mine; I am in a corner of the basement. I picked up a range hood at a garage sale for $1 and vented it outside. Emery

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v133/mazokid/Reloading%20area/Reloadingarea004.jpg

joatmon
08-25-2007, 11:35 PM
mazo kid, do you ignite the flux smoke? Nice setup

madcaster
08-26-2007, 07:58 AM
I have a friend who built a box of sorts out of sheet aluminum with a hinged door that can be lowered-to allow more of the smoke and fumes to go out the PVC pipe he installed to take outside these 2 distractions.
I will need to get a picture of this I believe.

snowman
08-26-2007, 10:21 AM
that would be great

i'm just trying to figure out, do most people just use the standard range vent, or are people building more creative, more effective systems.

VTDW
08-26-2007, 12:12 PM
I open both shop doors, turn all the fans facing one open door and crawl around on my knees until the smoke clears. Sorry about that.:mrgreen: It pays to be very careful around smelting and I do all of the above and leave the premises and look thru the open door that becomes the air intake until the smoke clears. I do wish I had a good ventilation system but my shop circumstances will just not allow it.

Dave

snowman
08-26-2007, 12:43 PM
LMAO...my current system of ventilation, minus the fan. Recharging the pot is done while holding breath.

jdhenry
08-26-2007, 02:36 PM
I went to home depot and bought a bathroom fan that vents to the side. Then mounted it about 3 ft above the pot and out the wall of my shop.....

But now that I have seen mazo kid's set up, I am reminded that, I have one of them range hoods laying new in the box up at my other shop :) Time to upgrade!!!

Sundogg1911
08-27-2007, 12:28 PM
http://choppdaddy.com/reloadroom/
one of the last pics is my casting bench in the garage. i'm using a standard rangehood with an upgraded fan. Since this pic i've added removable sides to funnel more stink in the right direction, and i've raised the range hood to fit my Master Caster stand under it too. It seems to work pretty well

mazo kid
08-29-2007, 04:14 PM
Joatmon, yep I light off the smoke. I should raise the pot or make sheet metal "wings" to help with the smoke. Once it gets a good air movement, it works great. Heat from the pot helps too. Emery

Dale53
08-29-2007, 07:00 PM
One system that I have seen, is to run a flexible 4" dryer vent off the top of the casting pot (install it at right angles to the pot with the open end just clearing the lead pot opening). There is typically a screw or bolt head in the top of the pot - just loosen the bolt and slip the edge of the pipe under the bolt head and tighten down. You will need to cut a little "V" or groove in the edge of the pipe to straddle the bolt. Then, just put an "in-line" fan in the 4" pipe and direct outside. YOu can go through a window (just like dryer vents to) or cut a hole in the side of the shop wall. Put a flapper valve outside that only opens when the fan is operating. This will keep your animal friends outside...

This is very effective and works without exhausting all of your air conditioning or heat (depending on the weather) to the outside.

Dale53

Single Shot
08-29-2007, 07:55 PM
One system that I have seen, is to run a flexible 4" dryer vent off the top of the casting pot (install it at right angles to the pot with the open end just clearing the lead pot opening). There is typically a screw or bolt head in the top of the pot - just loosen the bolt and slip the edge of the pipe under the bolt head and tighten down. You will need to cut a little "V" or groove in the edge of the pipe to straddle the bolt. Then, just put an "in-line" fan in the 4" pipe and direct outside. YOu can go through a window (just like dryer vents to) or cut a hole in the side of the shop wall. Put a flapper valve outside that only opens when the fan is operating. This will keep your animal friends outside...

This is very effective and works without exhausting all of your air conditioning or heat (depending on the weather) to the outside.

Dale53

Thats is what I did except I built a sheet metal 2 and 1/2 sided box with the vent hose on top. The 1/2 side allows me to stir the pot easier. Then after the inline fan, the remaining hose is set into a block of Pink foam that fits into the window the width of the window. I close the window onto the foam to hold it in place.

This gets set up on my garage workbench when casting. The box and casting pot fit into a cookie sheet type pan in case of a lead leak. This sits on a piece of scrap plywood that I covered with ceramic tile to keep the heat off the wood. I use another pan to catch the sprue.

smokemjoe
08-29-2007, 07:59 PM
Mine looks like the Mazo kids. But after 35 years my wife pulled the plug on mine.

blysmelter
08-30-2007, 11:22 AM

Dale53

Like this

http://www.calibros.com/romvegg1.jpg

Single Shot
08-30-2007, 12:00 PM
That is a very neat work shop.

Sundogg1911
08-31-2007, 11:16 AM
we have one at work for tinning power wire. it looks like a funnel and im guessing thet the vent hose is about 8" flexable pipe. in goes into a filer box about 4 foot square and doesnt need to be vented to the outdoors. We know longer have a power systems department and i've been inquiring about it. The only reason i'd want it compared to my setup is it can be used anywhere without the need to cut a hole in a wall. The next time i'm at the building that it is at i'll snap a pic. I also don't know if it has cleanable filters or if it's something that would need to be replaced.

arkypete
08-31-2007, 10:14 PM
Used to cast in my garage, then moved to another house.
Took my casting to the car port at the new house.
Now I'm building a covered deck on the end of the reloading shed for casting.
I like to cast where's lots of venilation.
Jim

blysmelter
09-01-2007, 03:38 AM
The picture is not from my workshop but from annother norsemans. I do my casting outdoors when possible or in a shed with large doors at each end, giving a good draft. Planning on making a combined welding and smelting/casting corner with extraction fan in one corner of my garage, just need som free time!

Bret4207
09-01-2007, 07:55 AM
Ventilation? What ventilation!? I'm lucky if I can keep the wind from blowing the lead away from the sprue hole!

imashooter2
09-01-2007, 10:02 AM
we have one at work for tinning power wire. it looks like a funnel and im guessing thet the vent hose is about 8" flexable pipe. in goes into a filer box about 4 foot square and doesnt need to be vented to the outdoors. We know longer have a power systems department and i've been inquiring about it. The only reason i'd want it compared to my setup is it can be used anywhere without the need to cut a hole in a wall. The next time i'm at the building that it is at i'll snap a pic. I also don't know if it has cleanable filters or if it's something that would need to be replaced.

OK, I'm curious now... What exactly is a "filer box" and how does it work to remove smoke and fumes from the air? Looking forward to the pictures and some more discussion.

fourarmed
09-04-2007, 02:35 PM
I think he meant "filter."

imashooter2
09-04-2007, 03:08 PM
I think he meant "filter."

Doh! Of course he did...

PatMarlin
09-05-2007, 01:02 AM
I've posted this a bunch of times, but here's for the NG's.. :mrgreen:

mazo kid
09-05-2007, 01:04 AM
I should have mentioned that I do terminate the exhaust pipe through a dryer vent flapper type valve that keeps critters out (at least from there!). Emery

hunterldh
09-16-2007, 07:14 PM
I used to have a sucker fan above my pot but I was heating the outdoors in the winter. Now I just plan my casting for the summer months and I do it outside in the shade on a nice day that has a little breeze. - Hunter

Old Ironsights
09-17-2007, 09:26 PM
Here's my setup.

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y180/MrMisanthrope/IMG_0351.jpg

The vent hood is a 6x16(?) floor register tin connected to an 80CFM 8" inline "booster" fan screwed to/through a 1x10. the Flex hose is coupled to an old/disconnected "power-vent" exhaust PCV line for my furnace.

The basement is essentially unheated. I should probably cap it to keep the critters out, but that hasn't been an issue.

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y180/MrMisanthrope/IMG_0350.jpg

It's a little far back for my tastes for casting but it's mondo for fluxing. I pull it out a bit to cast.

I love the sweet smell/taste of hot lead...

I do all of my Micro Smelting (2qt max) on the back deck.