PDA

View Full Version : Lee 00 buckshot mold.

45-70 Chevroner
03-30-2013, 10:36 AM
How many of you have tried the Lee 00 buckshot mold? I got one about 6 months ago and my first molding session at that time was a bit dissapointing I had a lot of rejects such as lots of wrinkles and not all of the cavities filled out. I did get 5 or 6 hundred that were ok to load up and shoot. Yesterday I tried it again. This time a let the plain WW lead (no tin added) get as hot as the 10# Lee pot would get. I heated up the 18 cavity mold by dipping the end of the mold in the pot. I got it pretty hot and started casting. The first ones out of the mold were perfect and ever drop there after were perfect. I actually had only two balls that did not fill out and no wrinkles during the casting session. I cas up about 16 or 17 pounds of 00 buckshot, that translates into about 2100 00 buckshot. I think the trick, for me at least is hot, hot, hot and cast as fast as possiable. I probably won't need to cast more for quite a while.

truthisdiscovered
03-30-2013, 11:03 AM
Had my 1st session with mine a couple weeks ago. Like you, once the mold was up to temp, the fell out like eggs from an Easter basket.

Problem comes in when you try to load the .330 pellets into a shell with a standard wad. The petals must be cut off or the pellets bulge the sides of the hull.

That means of course that you have to lube the pellets... 2 more steps.

TID

35remington
03-30-2013, 02:41 PM
Get the mould very hot first on a hot plate or stove. Then cast. Fewer rejects.

HeadLead
03-30-2013, 02:44 PM
I just finished lubing (alox) my #00 cast from Lee 6 cavity mold. The first several runs into the mold did not fill completely. I had my pot set at 750F. using my PID controller. The mold was hot, but needed to get hotter to fill out. The remaining runs were completely filled out and I proceeded to cast up about 15# of shot. I had a few that the mold did not completely close on and a thin web of lead was present. In all, I am well pleased with the quality and performance of the Lee mold.

I thoroughly cleaned the mold prior to use and smoked it good. It was lubed at all important points. The overall quality of the mold was better than some of the video's I have seen on YouTube. Lee must have improved production and quality control on these 6 cavity molds.

What I need now is some load information using the Cheddite (clear) 2 3/4" hulls and either Red Dot, Green Dot or Universal powder. I also have 200 Federal hulls (2 3/4") purchased from Ballistic Products. Any information or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

45-70 Chevroner
03-30-2013, 04:06 PM
Had my 1st session with mine a couple weeks ago. Like you, once the mold was up to temp, the fell out like eggs from an Easter basket.

Problem comes in when you try to load the .330 pellets into a shell with a standard wad. The petals must be cut off or the pellets bulge the sides of the hull.

That means of course that you have to lube the pellets... 2 more steps.

TID

I had no problems loading them at all. The thing is you can only get 8 of them in the shot wad, 8 of them weigh a little less than an oz. I use a 1oz wad in a 2 3/4" Win. AA shell, I drop 2 at a time in and they stack perfectly. I am using 18 1/2 grs. of unique. I think they are running about 1100 ft per second. I don't lube the 00's at all, and I have no bulging at all.

repeat
12-12-2016, 09:10 PM
I just got mine in and cleaned and lubed it but I could only fill the top holes,it failed to go deep enough to get the second row to cast.I turned the flow down to a trickle but the problem persists.
I turned the heat up on my Lee pot until the lead turned red but still failed to fill the second row of holes.
It's around 0 degrees here in Montana right now.Could the low temps keep my mold from staying hot long enough?
My lazer pointed thermometer indicates the mold block is around 350 degrees.
Any suggestions on what I'm doing wrong?Thanks

Hogtamer
12-12-2016, 09:20 PM
mold too cold...

tomme boy
12-12-2016, 09:40 PM
Yep that mould HAS TO BE RUN HOT!

repeat
12-12-2016, 10:02 PM
That's it.I need to wait until the outside temps gets warmer.
I had the mold on a hot plate for an hour and on the top of the casting pot for close to 1/2 hour and still too cold.
Thanks guys you have helped me big time.

bstone5
12-12-2016, 10:13 PM
The mold I have will cast 00 and #4 buckshot. To get fill out I heat the mold with a propane bottle torch. The mold is very warm and a pair of thick welding gloves is required when handling the mold. I cast 00 and #4 at the same time. The shot is coated with Hi-Tech coating before loading. The #4 shot is loaded in 444 Marlin brass to shot in a S&W Governor revolver.

Moonie
12-13-2016, 02:43 PM
I pressure cast with my 00 mold. Works great.

HiVelocity
12-14-2016, 09:32 PM
Too many issues with the Lee buckshot mold for me; I ended up selling mine rather quickly.

After lots of research, I opted for a Sharpshooter mold [Buckshotmold.com], (Single ought) 0-buckshot mold; .32 caliber IIRC. Using a Federal 12S3 shot-cup; this buckshot fits and stacks perfectly; 3 x 3.

I load this combination in several 12 gauge hulls. My preference is Remington "Gun Club" green hulls, available everywhere. Just food for thought.......

HV

repeat
12-16-2016, 01:38 PM
Do you experienced guys tumble your buckshot?
If so what media do you use?
I have heard of using graphite but was told there are better media out there.
Thanks in advance.

tomme boy
12-16-2016, 04:34 PM
I did a few times. I ran them in my tumbler with a couple of the sticks from one of them adjustable pencils. It helps to round off the sprue and it puts a nice graphite coating on them.

too many things
12-16-2016, 06:22 PM
best to sell it and get a good one .

repeat
12-16-2016, 07:08 PM
I have 2 Sharp Shooter molds coming.
A 0 and a 000.
This time of the year it takes forever to get them but when they arrive I will try them and see if they are that much better.
I did manage to get some mighty good looking 00 buckshot even with a cool mold.
They never filled the whole mold but I was told and I believe the mold cools down too fast due to below 0 weather and an old worn out hot plate.
I'll soon find out how much better the new molds are.

repeat
12-16-2016, 07:16 PM
bstone5 where do you get that hi-tech coating?
Is that powder coating or something else.

RogerDat
12-17-2016, 12:51 AM
I think that for cold weather a ladle might offer an advantage, you can pour hot lead over side of mold to give it more heat. Just runs back into the pot. I'll be interested in hearing how those sharp shooter molds work out.

longbow
12-17-2016, 03:42 AM
As already said by several people... run hot and steady! Get the mould up to casting temp on a hot plate then start casting fast and steady!

I have been casting for about 50 years now and only lately have I run into moulds that seem to like "hot"!

My NOE aluminum moulds and brass Mihec moulds really like heat. If I pre-heat the moulds almost to the melt temperature then cast fast and steady they work great. Slow down and not so much.

My Lee 00 buckshot mould behaves the same way. When I first started casting I couldn't get decent shot formed in the second and third cavities so cast faster and hotter. Once the mould was running fast and hot I got slightly frosted shot that broke apart at the joints if I cast fast enough. If not then I had to use a utility knife to part balls but they were still well cast. If you cast fast and hot the balls will beak apart as the cavities are emptied.

As per RogerDat, I am a ladle caster.

Longbow

Tackleberry41
12-17-2016, 10:56 AM
I have never had great luck with the 2 Lee buckshot molds I have. Oh they have to be run hot, but still have issues. I can cast for a while, then they go to ****, and you have to give up, cast another day. The sharpshooter molds have worked so much better. And more sizes. You can put 0 buck in a 12ga shotcup, so no cutting petals. And 0 buck works in my 16 ga. I bought one of their 1 buck molds as they work in a 20ga.

Moonie
12-18-2016, 10:10 PM
Do you experienced guys tumble your buckshot?
If so what media do you use?
I have heard of using graphite but was told there are better media out there.
Thanks in advance.

I tumble mine, but I do not use graphite.

RogerDat
12-19-2016, 11:23 AM
I tumble mine, but I do not use graphite. I too am wondering in what media? Or are these just balls bouncing around in the vibrating tumbler?

Moonie
12-19-2016, 07:18 PM
I too am wondering in what media? Or are these just balls bouncing around in the vibrating tumbler?

I use a rotary tumbler, no media.

repeat
12-20-2016, 02:22 AM
Moonie by pressure casting do you put the opening up to the pour spout and load that way?
I tried ladle pouring today and it works well!
Temps were above 0 for the first time in a while and had a good casting session.
Brand new hot plate and I oaded until I had to stop.

Moonie
12-20-2016, 09:36 PM
Moonie by pressure casting do you put the opening up to the pour spout and load that way?

Yes, exactly, I press the spru hole against the pour spout, open the valve, count to 5 then pour a small spru puddle and move to the next hole.

Michael J. Spangler
12-21-2016, 12:03 AM
I have to agree that pressure casting works well too.
I wish the lee sprue plates were thicker and had a trough like H&G. I bet that big old puddle of molten lead sitting on top would really help fill out the cavities.

Someone should make double thick steel replacement sprue plates for lee 6 cavities

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DanishM1Garand
12-21-2016, 12:45 AM
I use a rotary tumbler, no media.

same here. I use a Do-it slingshot pellet mold. I get a .305 pellet. I bought the thing before I joined this forum. Saw a post on another forum and stopped casting 000 one at a time. I have a .36 mold for a muzzle loader. Yes I sat there and cast hundreds of single shot pellets for buck loads.

The DO-it mold throws quite imperfect buckshot. Ten or twelve hours in a tumbler without media beats them round and smooth. Not perfect like factory swaged or even cast in a single cavity roundball mold.

The aluminum mold will cast great with the lead hot and the mold very hot. Cast fast and don't rest till you've cast enough for the reloading tomorrow.

repeat
12-30-2016, 12:54 AM
I got my 2 Sharp-Shooter molds in and tried them and they are easier to throw great shot but has a tremendous waste.
Not really a biggie as I just melt the waste and re-use it.
Everyone was right as usual as I got my new hotplate and heated up all my molds even the Lee and it worked flawlessly!
One day I will own everyone of the Sharp-Shooter molds I want but for now I will just use the one's I have and enjoy them.
By using Moonies tip I can now cast near perfect 00 buckshot from the Lee mold.
Thanks guys.

medicms2001
01-02-2017, 10:11 AM
What are the benefits of tumbling the buckshot? Do you need to graphite coat them like regular shot? I had great luck with my Lee mold after I finally got it hot and the lead hot, was frustrating at first.

DanishM1Garand
01-02-2017, 10:15 AM
What are the benefits of tumbling the buckshot? Do you need to graphite coat them like regular shot? I had great luck with my Lee mold after I finally got it hot and the lead hot, was frustrating at first.
My mold (do-it slingshot) leaves a flashing attached and the shot is quite imperfect. Tumbling cleans them up and makes them look a lot better.

I dont one have a lee buckshot mold yet.

medicms2001
01-02-2017, 01:42 PM
do you use any media or just tumble them plain

repeat
01-03-2017, 01:03 PM
At first I tumbled in a small amount of water and the shot came out gray but rounder.
I now just tumble dry and they come out gray and most all of the protrusions are gone.
I hardened my next batch to 20-22 and left them silver looking.
I was told the hardness will stop deformation and will stay faster longer.I have yet to try them but will when the weather improves as its well below 0 again and will stay that way for most of the week and then I will get to the range and try them.

repeat
01-17-2017, 12:00 PM
I have a question:
When loading 000 buckshot the manual says to cut off the petals of the wad.
How do you keep the lead buckshot from leading the barrel?