PDA

View Full Version : A VERY strange 9mm round I found in a box of brass. Know what it is?

Sakdog
03-30-2013, 10:27 AM
Sorry, This seemed to be the most suitable forum for this to glean some knowledge

In a box of brass I found this strange 9mm round. The body of it is aluminum, it is primed and it has a strange telescoping action.

on the mouth end there is a machined recess with a countersink and a teeny little hole. The whole round appears to be machined rather than spun, drawn or whatever.

The really odd thing is that it telescopes, if you pull at the extractor groove the whole thing comes out like 3/8ths of an inch. (doesn't come apart) the sliding action feels very precise like a hydraulic fit, not a loose press fit.

My first inclination was that it was a blank of some sort. I don't know if it has powder in it or not, it could given that the hole in the front is so small.

Any ideas?

rexherring
03-30-2013, 10:31 AM
Strange, could it be some kind of snap cap for dry firing?

Sakdog
03-30-2013, 10:37 AM
I don't think so, from the appearance it is a live primer.

The other thing that I was thinking is that maybe its some sort of restriction device that would be placed in a gun fired and the chamber section would stick in the chamber or something like that.

I might stick it in a hi point and give er a go someday to see what happens.

Edubya
03-30-2013, 10:47 AM
I can't see the usefulness of it but could it be some kind of case gauge?
Does it have a head stamp? If so, contacting the company would be the first place that I would seek the answer.

EW

dhaid-06
03-30-2013, 11:10 AM
I found some of these and was told they are a training round that shoots a plastic ball or paintball or something. Something law enforcement can shoot near or at one another during practical type training drills without causing injuries.

Sakdog
03-30-2013, 11:27 AM
Oh ok, That makes sense.. Paintball. This did come from LEO range brass. I can't imagine that these are cheap to make it looks like everything is machined.. No headstamps on this

Case Stuffer
03-30-2013, 11:48 AM
The other thing that I was thinking is that maybe its some sort of restriction device that would be placed in a gun fired and the chamber section would stick in the chamber or something like that.

I have never seen one but many years ago there were indeed rounds made for the soe purpose of locking the action of a firearm. They were intended I believe primarely for law enforcement ( jailer ) and such. There were also handguns fited with special triggers which rquired the user to wear a special ring to activite the trigger. Both of these measure were to help prevent the hand gun from being grabed and useed on its' owner.

What I found amusing about the look-up rounds is that even before the days of the internet many outside of law enforment were aware of them and thus knew better than to try and fire the chambered round or first round up in a revolver.

Being a recent find paitball or such is more likely for those pictured here.

Sakdog
03-30-2013, 01:26 PM
I'm starting to wonder if it is some sort of locker given the telescoping action, It definitely looks like whatever pressure the primer generates is intended to kick the tail out.. maybe when its fired it causes the tail to snap into a lock groove or something causing the round to not be able to extract. my google searching on paintball rounds yielded nothing that looks quite like this.

Wayne Dobbs
03-30-2013, 02:08 PM
It's a UTM (Universal Training Munition) round. Have fired and watched the firing of thousands of them in FoF training on a State Dept contract I worked on. It fires a paint pellet at a higher velocity than paintballs or Simunitions rounds and is significantly more reliable and much more durable than Simunitions brand products. Guns convert easier also.