PDA

View Full Version : adj cyl gap ?

monge
03-30-2013, 09:19 AM
On a ruger vaquero how would be the best way to adjust cyl gap to forceing cone mill frame or cut barrel , and what is a good gap size ? Thanks JOE

KCSO
03-30-2013, 10:41 AM
I prefer 3-5 thousands for a gun that will be kept clean factory specs will usually go to 9. as to adjusting you can shim the cylinder but that is robbing Peter as you change headspacce by as much as yo move up the cylinder gap. The best way is to set the barrel back in one turn and fit the gap square and correct to your desired gap. BTW if you shooot black powder you will need more gap than with smokless because of how fast the fouling builds up. Dont mess with the frame.

monge
03-30-2013, 11:12 AM
Do you know about how much to take off shoulder on barrel to start with, I guess its kind of take a couple thou screw it on and keep checking till sight come around then machine forceing cone to adjust Gap? Thanks again for all the help!

ipopum
03-30-2013, 11:37 AM
It can be calculated to a reasonably close fit and then adjust. First you must know the threads per inch. that will tell you how much set back one full turn will give. If you use 360 degrees you can figure the value of smaller adjustments.

257X50
04-08-2013, 01:46 AM
I always went for .002-.003.

I'd rather make a new barrel. Lining up the sights can be a bear. Lol

DougGuy
04-08-2013, 02:24 AM
Alan Harton has that gig down pat. He removes the barrel, TiG welds some metal on the end of the barrel then machines it to refit the gap. He's not totally outrageous on either the cost or the time. Google for Alan Harton or Single Action Service, it beats the hell out of setting the barrel back and trying to get the sight lined up.

lkydvl
04-11-2013, 04:16 PM
general rule is...work on or modify the cheapest part.

After correcting any end shake, turn the bbl shoulder back one turn then refit the gap to your desired specs. Refit the ejection rod and shroud as needed.

Andre`

monge
04-16-2013, 08:00 PM
Got the gun together .002 gap had to sand loading gate door rounds were tight there after firing. Going to do some test firing and get back to you guys thanks for the help! JOE

MtGun44
04-17-2013, 01:42 PM
Min about .003 or so, much less and you get crud buildup binding it
pretty soon with boolits. To increase, use the pull type cutter sold
by Brownells, makes perfectly square cut.

Bill