PDA

View Full Version : Kimber 8400 .270wsm opinions

birch
03-30-2013, 02:20 AM
From what I have read, it seems that there is little advantage the 270 short mag has over the traditional .270 that I have known and loved for many years. However, there is a Kimber 8400 at a local gun shop that has been growing on me every time I visit. For one, it is beautiful. the piece of walnut they chose for that gun is stunning. The fit and finish on everything is top shelf in every way.

I am wondering if there are any out there who have actually purchased the Kimber 8400 that might give me some input. If I put a good piece of glass on that baby, can I expect to shoot 500 yard groups if I do my part? I know the rifle is not set up in a traditional stock to do long distance groups, but I am just wondering if the gun is truly worth the $1100 dollar price tag.

I am not really looking for what .270 cartridge is better, I am mostly looking for a real world user of that particular rifle. I am not a kimber handgun enthusiasts, but it seems they spared no expense when they made this rifle.

Thanks for any and all input.

Nobade
03-30-2013, 08:40 AM
I have never owned one, wouldn't own a short mag, but do get to work on quite a few of those Kimbers in the shop. Mainly to install muzzle brakes because they are such hard kickers. People seem to be pretty happy with the 30 caliber, but I haven't seen anybody happy with the accuracy of the 270 version. They seem like they're adequate for normal hunting use, but certainly not for shooting any impressive groups at 500 yards. Stocked wrong for that, too light, kicks too much, etc. But for carrying all day to shoot your sheep or whatever, they're great. And are pretty, with nicely shaped stocks. If this is what you want, go for it. But if you're expecting a long range benchrest rig, forget about that rifle and go with something designed to do that job.

-Nobade

birch
03-30-2013, 08:34 PM
Thanks a bunch for that information. I was expecting to hear something of the sort actually. I know that they are super light, but figured the terrific trigger might make up for some of that muzzle flip. Thanks again.

Is there any particular reason you are against short mags in general? I have heard from a couple of people that the pressures generated wear out barrels quickly. Is there anything else I should be aware of coming from a feller who works on firearms every day?

Nobade
03-30-2013, 09:50 PM
Mostly feeding issues, really ought to be in a long action to seat the bullet where it needs to be, small shank guns like Winchesters and Kimbers can egg the chambers because of the extreme pressures the factories load the ammo to, don't do anything older cartridges do, brass is too thick in the neck, hard to get to be super accurate because of the need to be able to safely fire factory hot loaded ammo, guns so light people can't stand to shoot them (though that does sell a lot of muzzle brakes). That's it mostly.

I have had super luck with the 300 WSM in F class guns though. But that's in a Barnard action throated to seat the bullet where it needs to be, with parallel sticking out of the case. Those guns never will see factory ammo so chamber necks can be small enough to turn the necks down to correct thickness. Works great there, but I see zero need for one in a normal hunting style rifle.

-Nobade

Lloyd Smale
03-31-2013, 08:31 AM
I would be skeptical only because of mixed reviews on accuracy ive heard with kimbers in all chamberings. As to the 270wsm compared to a 270 win the wsm will leave it in the dust. As to accuracy i dont have alot of experience with wsm rounds. I only have a 300. Its shoots just fine and id bet that like with any other chambering you can get bad guns and good guns. I dont buy into all the bs about inherently accurate or inaccurate rounds. By the way my 300wsm abolt feeds perfectly. Just a smoothly and reliably as any of my other bolt guns. Is it superior to the 7 rem mag hell no! but it puts out some pretty decent ballistics on its own merit.