PDA

View Full Version : Plain base Lee-358-RF

1Papalote
08-25-2007, 09:13 AM
Would any of you be interested in a plain based version of the Lee-C180-358-RF. Has one been built? I hear this is a great bullet and can be driven fast with excellent result. BUT.........I started casting to avoid the costs and availability of guilded metal components. If this bullet is good in checked form, would it not be as good in plain based fashion? While we may have to slow it down a bit, this bullet would certainly be effective at 1300FPS. Is the design tailored to only running hard? I'd be interested in a 2 holer as a group buy.

1Papalote

GrizzLeeBear
08-25-2007, 01:19 PM
They did a group buy on one of those a while ago.

Seaco makes a nice 180 RNFP in both PB and GC version. Heard good things about it. I've been thinking about getting one of the PB molds for a heavy .357 mag. bullet and "low" velocity bullet in my .357 Herrett Contender.

bobthenailer
08-25-2007, 03:58 PM
i have the orgional GB lee 180 gr fngc and in my guns it shoots just as good without the gas ck in loads up to about 1000fps , i havent tried heaver loads without the gas ck, i use 4.5 to 5.0 gr of tight group in a 357 case and fed spp.
i also have the saeco 180 grfngc and if you use it in a marlin 1894 357 mag the col is to long , i trimed a designated lot of 357 cases a bit shorter for this bullet in the marlin.
bob

jdhenry
08-26-2007, 02:39 AM
I tried to run the group buy that I am running right now in the flat base. Once I chose to run it as a flat base Everyone jumped ship. So I am running it as a Gas check.

So when I get mine I will just Drill/pollish it into a flat bottom:)

Here is a link to the posts leading up you me running it as a gas check and not a flat base:

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=16838