PDA

View Full Version : Gotta love a Baer!

Agent1187
03-29-2013, 07:26 PM
So last week I finally sold off enough of my guns and various shooting related supplies to finally afford one nice pistol to focus my shooting and reloading efforts on - a Les Baer Premier II in the 6" flavor, or a Monolith Heavyweight. So Friday, I phone up Crazy John at 1911 Heaven and tell him what I'm looking for. His stock has been hit hard by this latest panic, but by George, he's got one 6" with the 1.5" guarantee in stock! I have my moments of long term patience, but the thought of not having a range pistol for the next year did not sit well with me, since that's about the wait time on orders, so of course I said yes. Well 7 days later, my FFL lets me know it's arrived, and I head on over and pick it up. A quick lookover at the house, and off to the range we go.

Mere hours (and 400 rounds) later the Baer is pretty well broken in and ready for a cleaning; my hands hurt something aweful; and I believe I'm in love all over again.
Best of all is that it seems to like lighter charges of Promo behind the MiHec H&G 68 boolit - the two things which I have a near unlimited supply of.

2 dogs
03-30-2013, 08:43 AM
Beautiful. I love the 6" guns. For the 100th anniversary of the 1911 two years ago I presented myself with a 6" Les Baer Ultimate Master 45 auto. Keep us updated on how she shoots/functions for you!

ole 5 hole group
03-30-2013, 02:48 PM
Great Purchase!!! A Baer with the 1.5 option is mighty hard to equal. That PII is a great pistol and I hope you enjoy it for many decades and pass it on.

You might find that the Baer finish comes off fairly easily with holster use or just general hard use, so in maybe 3 to 5 years you might be considering refinishing if you find yourself using the pistol in that manner, and if so, - ion-bond or the hard hat treatment (basically a Melonite type treatment) are 2 finishes you might want to consider with that Baer with 1.5 option.

NSB
03-30-2013, 03:11 PM
When I was shooting Team Challenge I had Claudio Salasa at Briley build me a 38Super with a Les Baer gun. It was unbelievably accurate! It function flawlessly and had the best trigger on any gun I've ever owned. When I quit shooting steel I got rid of it. I'm sorry to this day. I should have kept it just to take out and enjoy shooting once in a while. Probably my biggest regret of all the guns I've owned and gotten rid of. Reading this makes me want to get another one.