PDA

View Full Version : Hazmat shipping?

shooter93
03-29-2013, 06:16 PM
How would one go about finding someone in an area that they could use to ship hazmat materials for them. Specifically powders and primers. I often have things I'd like to be able to ship but the usual searches of phone books etc are to no avail. Could be insurance issues etc but I thought maybe some type of shipping agency would offer the service.

canyon-ghost
03-29-2013, 06:22 PM
UPS does it, it has to be shipped UPS Ground.

shooter93
03-29-2013, 06:56 PM
I know UPS can ship but I'm not certified as a Hazmat shipper which I thought you had to be regardless of who did the actual shipping? That not just anyone could pack Hazmat materials "correctly" for shipping.

03-29-2013, 09:51 PM
Perhaps UPS or FedEx can do it, for you, either at their facility (if you have one locally) the UPS Store, or FedEx/Kinkos.

Guesser
03-30-2013, 10:27 AM
Fedex does not use the "hazmat" or "ORM-D" term any longer. They now call and label it as "DG", dangerous goods. You must get a certification from Fedex to ship ammunition, powder, primers etc. They are all classed as "DG". I was given a number to call to start the certification rolling, seems an involved process, I have let it drop for the time being.

TXGunNut
03-30-2013, 01:45 PM
Haz-mat shipper certification has been a requirement for years, not a big deal, just expensive. Companies who offer the courses charge quite a bit. Folks have gotten hurt and even killed by improperly shipped haz-mat materials so it's not a bad thing. I think the mailbox places along with FEDEX and UPS storefronts offer the service but it will be at an extra charge. If you have a friend at a car dealer they may be able to help with packaging and paperwork, they ship and receive haz-mat items on a regular basis and will have someone who's certified.