PDA

View Full Version : .44 mag speed loaders

Sasquatch-1
03-29-2013, 05:42 PM
Anyone use speed loader with their M29's or Red Hawks? I just recently purchased a Super Redhawk that I plan on using in a friendly competition we have at the range I belong to and want to get some speed loaders. The HKS look to be the least expensive and it didn't look like there were many out the that weren't twice the price.

So the question is what have you guys used and how did you like them.

PbHurler
03-29-2013, 06:07 PM
I've only used Safariland Comp 1 speedloaders for my 29's & 686. I bought the loaders when I bought the guns, (1 of which was 30 years ago). I love 'em, I like the way they load by aligning the rounds in the chambers and just push to release them, you dont have to turn any knobs.

They seem to hold the rounds very well, but I don't abuse them either. I've never had any issues loading or subsequent unloading of them (without the gun), although some people claim that they do. The Comp 2's have a larger knob to get a better finger grip when loading them, the Comp 1's knob is only about 3/8" dia. but I've never had a problem using them.

Midway shows them in stock, #367179. They show $14.99. I usually pick-up a few from Midway's sale flyers when they've listed them @ $9.99.

Hope this helps

Castaholic
03-29-2013, 07:21 PM
I have the HKS version for all of my revolvers and like them. From the research I did before purchasing some speed loaders it sounds like the HKS are more forgiving in a hurry (aka using them in self defense, etc) but the push kind are faster assuming you get everything lined up. If you are going for speed (and it sounds like you are) the Safariland push style are probably the better choice. You should be happy with either one.

jmsj
03-29-2013, 09:18 PM
I have used both and I really like the Safarilands. The knobs come in 3 sizes for different applications.

Lloyd Smale
03-30-2013, 07:22 AM
i use only safariland anymore. they both work but the safarilands are faster.

Stephen Cohen
03-30-2013, 07:53 AM
+1 you cant beat them for speed and usability. I shot steel against Auto shooters and won more often than not.

Combat Diver
03-30-2013, 08:44 AM
I only use HKS speedloaders do to the fact the make more models for my guns and same muscle memory. J frame .22 WMR, J frame .38 SPL, K frame 38/.357, L frame 6 shot .357, N frame .41 and .44 and CA 5 shot .44. Used to shoot ISPC with K frame .357 and N frame .41s using the HKS speedloaders.

CD

Hardcast416taylor
03-30-2013, 09:24 AM
I used HKS loaders with my N frame S&W 29 for WC indoor timed fire for over 10 years with no problems. I used K frame HKS loaders as a regular part of a timed fire segment of a PPC course for way over 15 years. I have some HKS loaders for my .22 S&W 17 when can shooting. Whatever loaders you decide upon remember you must practice with them so smoothness of the action of a quick reload can be achieved.Robert

Larry Gibson
03-30-2013, 01:50 PM
+ another for the HKS speedloader. Been using them since the mid '7-s in several cartridges including the .44 (M29s, Ruger RHs and Colt Anaconda's). Used all the rest in competition and when a LEO firearms instructor and always went back to the HKS for all around use. Won't buy any other make and haven't for 25+ years.

Larry Gibson

John Allen
03-30-2013, 02:19 PM
Same here I have the HK speedloaders. I got my first ones years ago and have always liked them.

ACrowe25
03-30-2013, 05:26 PM
As others have said, I was referred to safariland and they are the only ones I've ever used and see no reason to try anything else...

Artful
03-31-2013, 03:21 AM
Used Safariland for PPC Competition in 38 and 44 - work great and have for a LOOONNNGGG time for me.
Get a couple of sheets of plexiglass and make up a plate to hold round vertically and reloading them for use is a snap
I have my old caddy around somewhere but its got tray with one side for plate other for tools & junk, bottom holds
rounds and a place for empties.

twist HKS vs Safariland/Jet push type

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F92WEeItuZo

Artful
03-31-2013, 03:28 AM
Safariland Comp 2

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_aUG7-UUjnw

winelover
03-31-2013, 07:44 AM
First speed loader I purchased was the Safariland (non- Competition model) back in the 70's. Gave it away! Didn't like it as far as retention goes, if pocket carried. Switched to HK's and found that they are more retention friendly. I carry one in a daypack, for my Redhawk, while out hunting.

Winelover

Sasquatch-1
03-31-2013, 08:04 AM
Safariland Comp 2

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_aUG7-UUjnw

I found the video links very helpful. Although the one I found most helpful was one that I noticed while looking at your's. It was a comparison of the different version and after watching the guy doing the video he seemed to have trouble with the Safariland version. He actually looked faster with the HKS and the metal version.

Thanks again. Most helpful.

Artful
03-31-2013, 02:13 PM
It's what you practice with - like anything - the big thing about the push buttons instead of the twisty's is try a one handed weak handed reload - much easier.

bobthenailer
04-02-2013, 10:31 AM
The Safariland speed loaders were considerd to be the best & fastest avalible for revolvers in matches where split seconds matter, ive had comp 1 2 & 3 models for S&W K ,L & N frame revolvers , i now use mostley full moon clip revolvers for even faster reloads.

rintinglen
04-09-2013, 11:07 AM
I've used HKS. Safariland, Dade, 5 star, and a couple more that I forget who made, but I much prefer the Safariland. Some folks claim to have problems with rounds falling out, but that has not been a problem for me with Safariland Speedloaders. The Dade Machine products were another matter entirely. They shed bullets like a Lab sheds fur.

When I was packing a revolver, back in the last century, I got to where I could consistently pull off a 4 second reload, with the occasional sub-3 second event when the stars aligned and the world turned right. The HKS was slower. The Comp-II is my preference, but the smaller Comp I is ok. The Jet Fire is too bulky for my taste.

Sasquatch-1
04-09-2013, 01:57 PM
I ended up getting 6 of the HKS. The star were jus too expensive for what I wanted and the Safari Land only came in the comp 1. I may have gotten the Safari Land if they had come in the Comp3 model. The HKS work fine with an ogive type bullet that I can swage but are a little finicky with the step bullets like the semi wad cutters. For what I am using them for the HKS should be fine. It is just friendly competition at the local range.

Artful
04-09-2013, 11:44 PM
I ended up getting 6 of the HKS. but are a little finicky with the step bullets like the semi wad cutters. For what I am using them for the HKS should be fine.

Two things - one you can break the edge on the back of your chambers - two you need to learn to jiggle not stab the rounds into place.

Rick R
04-10-2013, 11:01 PM
I've used both for years. IMHO the HKS is tougher with less moving parts while the Safariland is quicker for me even when loaded with semiwadcutters.

As I type this there is a Safariland Comp I in my pocket loaded with .45 Colt for my Redhawk. But I'd be just as comfortable with an HKS. Kind of a Ford vs Chevy thing...